WWII ETO Marked Equipment

285th FAOB

Yes it was ETO only..... the color stripes are coded to coincide with the 5 digit unit serial number assigned to every unit, down to company level in the ETO. The directive covering the system is contained in HQ ETOUSA document entitled " European Theater of Operations, Preparation for Overseas Movement, Long Sea Voyage" dated 21 July 1943. I searched for years but have never been able to find the complete directory listing of unit serial numbers. It must be the size of a phone book. I published an article on the subject in 1993 or 1994 in Army Motors. Color codes are as follows : 1= buff 2=OD 3=Yellow,bright 4=green, bright 5= grey 6=blue, dark 7= maroon 8=red bright 9= white lead 0=brown dark Color for last digit in unit serial number is middle stripe, next to last digit in unit serial number are top and bottom stripes .

More info : one of the V Corps movement directives for Operation NEPTUNE states that equipment was to be marked as follows:

Color bars reflecting the higher unit ( Regiment or separate battalion) with the company 5 digit code stencilled above the bars. An earlier version of color bar marking was used in Italy in 1943, but never found complete documentation on the earlier system. It seems a differnt system from the one prescribed in the ETO-POM Long Sea Voyage directive. The only unit serial number data I have is from Movement Tables for units landing on OMAHA beach. Steve McG

Johan Willaert
The only unit serial number data I have is from Movement Tables for units landing on OMAHA beach. Steve McG

Hi STeve,

Could you share that with us??? Or at least the units of the 29ID???

Thanks

Great information! Do you have any information on the five digit code of 42781 with the bars underneath that look like bright green,dark blue, bright green? Thanks

I have two pieces in my collection with the bars painted on them. This one is on a M1935 bed roll issued to Lt. Mel Cummins. He was in an artillery unit in Southern France.

bar_1.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

a few weeks ago I bought a duffle bag here in the area of Kitzingen, Germany. I found the enlistment information on the page of the national archive were it said that he served in the Air Corps. Now I was trying find out more about the unit. The number I found on the bag is 52290, the bars are so faded away that you can't tell what colour they were because the guy who I bought it from used it as a cover for his opening hours sign. And the duffle bag is stamped 1943. I already looked on the website that was posted earlier but I didn't find anything with this number. So if anybody has some information I'd be very greatfull.

Thanks already.