Hessian graves

Phil14th/Bkln

Hi-

I personally feel nothing whether they should be honored or not.

However I am also a volunteer for Army Ground Forces Association. We interpret at former Coast Artillery forts.

At Fort Mott, a New Jersey State Park and former US Army Installation, there is Finn's Point, I seem to remember. This is a National Cemetery. Former servicemen that served in Fort Mott and Fort Delaware are buried there. The cemetery is now closed.

What is interesting is that Fort Delaware is a former Confederate POW camp. And several Confederate POWs are buried there.

I have been there about twice and remembered German POW graves at Finn's Point. The cemetery's website did not say anything about these German POWs, but Wikipedia did.

This is a small cemetery outside Fort Mott's administration, maintained by the US Dept of Veterans Affairs.

My point is that, yes, your efforts are laudable. If you can document names, or proceed in your quest it is laudable. Also contact the German province from which these former soldiers came. They may have left relatives there that may be trying to trace the history of their relatives...

Take care,

Luis Ramos

Where they can be identified, a named headstone would be appropriate. Where they cannot be individually identified, an "Unknown Hessian soldier" marker would be appropriate. Or a marker to the effect that a number of soldiers of the Crown are buried there. Maybe some history will stick to the few who view the burial ground.

Our sense of honor and decency should apply without regard to anyone else's.

Phil14th/Bkln

Is there an organization that does things like this. I'll contact the legations, but I'm just one guy. It would be more persuasive if there was an org to mention. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Is there an organization that does things like this. I'll contact the legations, but I'm just one guy. It would be more persuasive if there was an org to mention. Any ideas?

I would suggest going to http://www.jsha.org/ the Johannes Schwalm Historical Association:

JSHA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to researching those German auxiliary troops (generically called Hessian) who remained in America after the Revolutionary War, became loyal citizens, made cultural contributions and were the progenitors of any thousands of Americans living today.

I decided never to participate in any “German history discussion” in a foreign language (simply because of my poor English skills). After reading this thread I just want to add: Thanks a lot!

Lars (grown up in Hessen)

I would suggest going to http://www.jsha.org/ the Johannes Schwalm Historical Association:

JSHA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to researching those German auxiliary troops (generically called Hessian) who remained in America after the Revolutionary War, became loyal citizens, made cultural contributions and were the progenitors of any thousands of Americans living today.

I have sent an email to the ISHA. If they respond and request more details and contact information, I'll move the subject along. If not, the fallen will continue to rest in peace, if not in recognition.

Okay,

The Brits pay for the markers, we do the upkeep. :think:

ONLY if they keep Madonna, give her U.K. citizenship (of course, she renounces her U.S. citizenship),

but we give her 3, two week visits with no visa restrictions per year (no hubby or kids). :twothumbup:

I think we've pretty much given her back now, haven't we??? Can we interest you in a repeat order of Beckham??

I remember visiting Lexington and Concord, MA for the first time in 1975. I walked quite a bit of the distance along Route 2A (?) that the Brits took on their way back to Boston, while they were getting sniped at almost the entire distance. I recall that there was one monument that was a headstone for a number of Brit KIAs, and that there were others lying in anonymity along the route. I don't know if any further grave marking has been done. Perhaps a Forum member in the area can enlighten us further?

What part of the Island are the graves located on,Nassau? Also try contacing a local DAR chapter. jeff

The graves of in Old Eastport Cemetery. (As I recall) It is in the town of either Glen Head, or Glen Cove. The towns have a rather twisty border and I live close but not in either of them. The cemetery is at the junction of Route 107 and Glen Cove Road.

I choose not to make this a personal crusade. The graves are known to local organizations. Other than the occasional ceremony (and chance to dress up) nothing has been done by organizations with the time and manpower to get something done. They seem to have chosen not to. The graves are clean and as well tended as any of the old markers. Perhaps trying to raise interest in placing markers would also raise interest against markers.

While members claim that Hessian troops in North America did not commit the atrocities for which they have been blamed, not everyone will accept that. Or just kiss it it off to revisionist history.