F.W. ASSMANN bombardier wings

John Cooper

Well it is time to break out of the summer slump... kids are getting back to school and work is busy. Here is a recent pickup for under $20. I like these post WW2 Geramn made wings because the same company made so many badges for the Luftwaffe...

The wings are similar to L.G.B wings and others with some differences in the bomb design... enjoy.

John

post-227-1282696057.jpg

OOOOOOOOOH AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I've never seen a pair of Assmann wings before! Rank insignia, collar brass, yes....but wings...NOPE! WOW!

Dave

Hi Dave you see them from time to time. If I am not mistaken someone posted another Assmann marked wing(s)

Cheers

John

Hi Dave you see them from time to time. If I am not mistaken someone posted another Assmann marked wing(s)

Cheers

John

Navigator...

post-1519-1282716658.jpg

They are nice! If I hadn't screwed up my bid, you'd have paid over $100 for them! God to see the right post was intact (from the poor pic it looked like it might have been missing).

I'm still waiting to get home to find out what the other 5 wings on offer were like.

Regards

Mike

Patrick what is the 3 digit number on yours?

@ Mike were you bidding on the wing I posted or Patrick?

John

John

Hi John,

I wasn't bidding. No number on the wing, best I recall.

Best

Patrick

Hi John,

I wasn't bidding. No number on the wing, best I recall.

Best

Patrick

Hi Patrick - if you look on the left (from the reverse) you can see a 3 digit number (323) or maybe it is just me?

John

Hi Patrick - if you look on the left (from the reverse) you can see a 3 digit number (323) or maybe it is just me?

John

You know what, it may be there. Doh...I will have to look at it later.

Patrick

John

Hi John,

The one you posted.

I'm finally home but still sorting through new arrivals. I'll post pics of the other 5 Bombardier's and a different Assmann in the next couple of days.

Regards

Mike

As promised, the other Bombardier's and another (Assmann from a different source).

Top left: near stone mint (and I don't use that phrase very often!) Amcraft/Gemsco pattern (Sterling marked)

Top right: unmarked

Middle left: unmarked Norsid patern

Middle right: unmarked Smilo pattern

Bottom left: Assmann (A + 332) marked Flight Surgeon - I am assuming that the keepers have been mismatched to the wings at some time.

Bottom right: post-war Vanguard V1 marked example

Sorry about the red streaks on the obverse scan - the top left badge is seriously bright and shiny!

Re Assmann examples, I get the impression that they continued their wartime practice of numbering their dies, hence the different reverse number for different types of US flight wings.

Regards

Mike

post-11042-1282874834.jpg

OK then we hae established the following:

326 - Bomardier

323 - Navigator

332 - Flight Surgeon

Lets see if we can get the AC anf AG :)

John

As promised, the other Bombardier's and another (Assmann from a different source).

Top left: near stone mint (and I don't use that phrase very often!) Amcraft/Gemsco pattern (Sterling marked)

Top right: unmarked

Middle left: unmarked Norsid patern

Middle right: unmarked Smilo pattern

Bottom left: Assmann (A + 332) marked Flight Surgeon - I am assuming that the keepers have been mismatched to the wings at some time.

Bottom right: post-war Vanguard V1 marked example

Sorry about the red streaks on the obverse scan - the top left badge is seriously bright and shiny!

Re Assmann examples, I get the impression that they continued their wartime practice of numbering their dies, hence the different reverse number for different types of US flight wings.

Regards

Mike

Your "stone mint" Bombardier's badge might be rhodium plated...hence the continued bright luster. Nice wing!

SWP&G V1 has a set of Pilot's Wings marked 322 (page 90).

Regards

Mike

322 - Pilot

323 - Navigator

324 - ?

325 - ?

326 - Bomardier

... - ?

332 - Flight Surgeon

Lets fill in the blanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few photos to add that you guys might like. The first is a bombardier’s wing that I sold on Ebay last year. The only real difference is mine looked like it had “Sterling” stamped into it. The stamping is mostly unreadable but the letters “STE” are still legible.

The second is a Majors collar pin photo with “106”.

Third is the marking on a 759th Tank unit DI “716”.

And last but not least is the marking on a Combat Medic Badge “260”.

post-15093-1284128301.jpg

Mike - thanks for posting the additional examples as it gives a bit of insight into the numbering system used. I hope to see others post their wings to at least have a basic list.

Cheers

John