markcaracci

SEAL Float Coats

Label etc. I would be interested to learn more about the research and developement of these jackets. Do you know anything about it?? We're they ever worn again after Vietnam?

post-4617-1227640463.jpg

post-4617-1227640492.jpg

donation2015.gif

Nice Rifle Man coat ! It looks like it is a poplin version!

I love this coats! I hope I can get one soon as well!

Mike

Thanks.

No probs. Did you see the other pics, damage etc. Not got the hand of posting stuff yet, probably is a quicker easier way. If you know anything about research and developement of these I'd love to hear more.

Go on Spike tell us a story!

Si

donation2015.gif

Come on Spike tell us a story .

Give me some hot coco and tuck us all in to bed and read from the Float coat production booklet .

That would be super !!!!

owen .

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Hi Spike,

I would appreciate it to know a little more about research and developement as well

Thanks

Mike

"Go on Spike tell us a story!"

Here's your 100+ page F'N story...

post-532-1227646416.jpg

"Go on Spike tell us a story!"

Here's your 100+ page F'N story...

Hi Spike,

thanks for being a good sport. Don't wanna be a ballbreaker, thought you might have a copy of that, you have everything else relating to these. Truly impressive collection.

Now I just need to find the other 99+ pages!

Si

post-532-1227646416.jpg

donation2015.gif

Spike,

I notice the front page of the spec sheet is dated Aug 1971 yet many of the tags indicate a contract date of 1970 and I'm sure many of the photos of SEALs wearing the garment pre-date 1971, so what's the deal?

Have you heard of a shipment of 'float coats' being sent to the Australian SASR? I know that they cross-trained in Vietnam and I read somewhere that the SASR were so impressed with the SEAL uniforms that 'they ordered 200'. Now I've always thought that meant ERDL jungle fatigues but through the years rumours of SASR operators wearing float coats up to the late 1980's and appearances of float coats for sale from the area where the SASR are now based lead me to surmise that the 200 sets may in fact have been 'float coats'!

Later on I will post a pic of an SASR AATTV advisor wearing the Grenadier version.

So you can cuddle up with it at night?

mmmm......curvy,firm yet pliable and quiet.Sounds like the perfect date

RON

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Filupe, there were SAS guys that op'd with SEALs and vice-a-versa so I'm sure a few SAS guys ended up with these jackets. While the idea in theory was cool, these things weren't used that much, the earlier vests were used quite alot from the photos I have, more so by team 2 guys. As far as the date on the top of the page, ain't got a clue, nor do I know if in fact the SAS ordered these jackets, it's possible. There is a cool book on the Australian SAS in VN that shows a guy wearing a grenadiers jacket.

I take it you mean this one? (I was mistaken before - he is not an AATTV advisor)

SASRSEAL1.jpg

It's just that enough of these 'float coats' have managed to float their way Down Under to attribute it to more than just 'souveniring'.

post-532-1250496471.jpg

Got this one from a guy who was in UDT 11 in VN. He gave it to me while I was setting up so I put it on display, pictures of which you can see in the display section. Said he wore it a few times in Nam, it's well worn and faded but it still has the bladder. Rifleman version, medium short, poplin.

Thanks for fixing my bad spelling.

Well, how many float coat do you have in your collection now ?

I saw in your display thread that you got the LDNN beret with the SEAL badge pinned upside down. Thats cool. I missed on eBay several years ago.

Did you get the tiger stripe beret that was supposed to go with when they were both picked up ?

"One law for them, another one for us !"

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif

Great Jacket Spike,any readable date on the tag?

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Andrei, I didn't get that tiger beret, it was sold before I bought the LDNN beret.

Doyler, all the tags are exactly the same, they just stamp the size and type, i.e., radioman and they all have the same date, which is stamped, the number on this one is hard to read but looks like it says N00293-70-C-0463 which is different from other date codes I have seen, I'll have to look at the other jackets I have. Like I said, the numbers were pretty faded, mostly due to wear.