ETS Boots

hawkdriver

Here is something I have never seen discussed here, ETS boots. It used to be a tradition that has kind of lost it's prominance, however, the other day I noticed two pairs of ETS boots over the internet wiring after the 2nd Infantry left camp.

What pics or stories do you have?

35ltgjk.jpg

Manchu Warrior
Here is something I have never seen discussed here, ETS boots. It used to be a tradition that has kind of lost it's prominance, however, the other day I noticed two pairs of ETS boots over the internet wiring after the 2nd Infantry left camp.

What pics or stories do you have?

Great photo, and its strange because I knew exactly what you were referring to when I read the title to your thread. And I don't have any photos but yours sure brought back the memories of the dozens of pairs of boots that I would see dangling from the wires at Fort Stewart on any given day. Some of the soldiers also got rather artistic with some brightly spray painted pairs and others with their rather colorful messages of how they really felt about the Army as they were going home. And I also did a little search and found an article about a USMC 1st Lt who really had no concept of the whole boots on the wire idea, he actually felt sorry for the boots. And I can kind of relate to his story because I really think I have some kind of a boot fetish and I could not bring myself to get rid of mine. And to be honest, and they are rather ratty, but I still have my original pair of boots from my basic training days on Sand Hill. Now, if I can only figure out how to explain the importance of the boots to my boys and why they are actually a part of their inheritance?

http://www.grose.us/published/bootwire.html

I never saw the need to do that. Partly because I retired instead of ETS'ed, lol. Seriously, I did ETS after my first enlistment for a few months, but didn't partake in that tradition. Thought it was a waste of good boots. Instead, I went and, AHEM, "borrowed" the little guidons that used to adorn the vehicle antennas. Am sure the Squadron SDO and SDNCO got an earful the next morning when there were some high ranking pieces missing from the Squadrons ready line, lol. But like Manchu says, I have seen some really artistic efforts done with the boots.

Those things were all over the post on Fort Hood when I retired back in 08... Most were painted day glo orange, magenta, or silver... Me? I never felt the need for a picture, and I figured I paid too much for them to spray paint them and hang them from the wires... I still have lots of boots from my service...

Wayne