What camo pattern is who wearing?

dg0223

Camoflauge Experts, please help me settle some disputes as to who is wearing what in the current conflicts around the world. I'm a U.S. History teacher, and I'm trying to put a powerpoint together comparing uniforms worn during the Civil War and the uniforms worn today. Let me know if I have this right:

U.S. Army:

ACU - Digital Camoflauge Pattern

Multicam - Experimental Pattern being tested in Afghanistan?

CCU? - Is this even being worn anymore?

USMC:

MARAPAT - Green color

MARAPAT - Desert color

USAF:

Tiger-Stripe inspired Digital Camoflauge pattern? I don't know the name of this one, is there only one color, or two like the USMC?

USN:

3 Color Desert (Like the old DCU)?

NWU? Is this one still in the experimental stage?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to show the evolution between the bright blue, red, and gray uniforms that were initially worn in previous centuries as opposed to the camoflauge currently being worn by U.S. Armed Forces. Thanks, all.

Air Force is ABU. I'm not an AF knowledgeable guy, I don't know what it stands for. The Navy are now issue items as they are being sold in the NX.

As for the Multi-cam, the Army is the only conventional force wearing them, but the other services SF are also wearing them, the AF PJs do, the Seals do, and obviously the Army SF do.

kyhistorian01
Hawk,

So, all of the Army is wearing Multicam? No more ACU's?

Multicam is being tested, most army personnel are still wearing the ACU.

Robert

Misanthropic_Gods
Hawk,

Only forces deploying to Afghanistan as of May 2010 (I believe that was the date) are wearing Multicam, it is conflict specific. And even then, things are being turned back in at the end of tours, so it is all staying in theater.

Multicam is being tested, most army personnel are still wearing the ACU.

Robert

It is out of the testing phase now, every unit deploying over to A-stan currently is getting some.

The NWU is currently out of the testing phase and being fielded Navy wide. NWU2 is being tested by DEVGRU/NSW and has been for some time, NWU3 is currently being tested and expected for use with Navy Ground Units, specifically stateside. BDU's and DCU's will still be issued as Organizational gear

Hawk,

Ya, as everyone has said, ACU is everywhere except A-stan. And even there, I think it's not being completely fielded, only for the door kickers. I just came back from the DIFAC with the latest Army Times that has a big article on it, I need to read it real quick to get the skinny on what they are wanting to do with it now.

Misanthropic_Gods

Here is a chart I made up for you, all of those pictures are actual scans I made from my uniforms except for the NWUIII. I dont have that one...yet

USAcamo.jpg

Technically, it is not ACU. That is the name of the garment. The pattern is UCP (universal camouflage pattern) of which in the Afghan testing there were four variations UCP-A through UCP-D) that multicam beat out.

There's also the USMC Coyote Brown that is being used for some items. The idea there is that it is a single shade that kind of blends with everything.

There's also the plain black which is used by some groups - mainly for recognition purposes, but could be considered 'night camo) and do not forget white.

And the Navy stiff is nicknamed the "man Overboard" pattern, as some sailor pointed out the only thing it would camoflage is a guy who fell overseas. Technically, they claim the pattern is for their working clothing which gets grasy and dirty, so the pattern will hide all that. In reality it was done as a morale booster as everyone else got to wear pretty colors.

And the Navy stiff is nicknamed the "man Overboard" pattern, as some sailor pointed out the only thing it would camoflage is a guy who fell overseas. Technically, they claim the pattern is for their working clothing which gets grasy and dirty, so the pattern will hide all that. In reality it was done as a morale booster as everyone else got to wear pretty colors.

That about sums it up...though technically, we're more likely to be found wearing NWUs than the solid blue coveralls that were worn onboard ship in years past. You probably won't be seen in the water wearing NWUs...but you'd be guaranteed not to be seen in the water wearing coveralls! Realistically, from driving umpteen man overboard drills, the best uniform to be seen in the water is the international orange one...but no one wears those...yet... :lol:

I did have a chance to meet the MCPON the other day and he was wearing the NWUIII pattern. Looked pretty cool.

Dave

Misanthropic_Gods, thank you very much for the graphic. I will definitely be showing the kids this image. Dave, Hawk, kammo, B229, jgawne, kyhistorian, and the rest of the crew who chimed in, thank you very much for the replies.

I Googled the USMC Coyote Brown, and it looks like they're using it for body armor and other pieces. And, I didn't know the Air Force and the Navy still used the Woodland pattern.

I think the ABU pattern would look good in the Marine and Navy desert colors.

That about sums it up...though technically, we're more likely to be found wearing NWUs than the solid blue coveralls that were worn onboard ship in years past. You probably won't be seen in the water wearing NWUs...but you'd be guaranteed not to be seen in the water wearing coveralls! Realistically, from driving umpteen man overboard drills, the best uniform to be seen in the water is the international orange one...but no one wears those...yet... :lol:

I did have a chance to meet the MCPON the other day and he was wearing the NWUIII pattern. Looked pretty cool.

Dave

I have to agree with Dave on this. If you think about it, the Navy has worn blue at sea since, well, as long as there has been a Navy. And like Dave, after un countable Man overboard Drills and a couple of for real Man overboards, all you actually see is the top of the guys head any way, so it doesn't matter much what they wear. Orange is good, but then you get back into that whole "Prison" suit thing that supposedly caused the end of dungarees. I think the boost would be a bigger hazzard than the blue color, but what do I know, they did not send any of these instructions by me for my input or chop :think:

Steve Hesson (who loved dungarees and has never liked any cammo)

I would think they'd give you Navy guys a battleship gray BDU style uniform. I'd think they'd want you to blend in to the side of the ship you're on so you couldn't be picked out.

Or maybe a camo pattern like the ships were painted during WWII.

I would think they'd give you Navy guys a battleship gray BDU style uniform. I'd think they'd want you to blend in to the side of the ship you're on so you couldn't be picked out.

Or maybe a camo pattern like the ships were painted during WWII.

Well, if your shooting at a ship, you're not really trying to hit individuals, so blending in really in not an issue. Like Dave said, the whole cammo thing for the Navy was so the shore guys in joint commands could have a cool cammo uniform to wear like every one else. Just a morale thing, serves no porpuse beyond that, not really a commo for anything, could just as well be purple or red.

Steve Hesson

Pink would be cute for sailors

NAwww, The Army tried that back in the '40s, need something new and excitingly different :thumbsup:

Steve Hesson (who still doesn't like cammo)

Lime green uniform , shoes with curley bits at front , green and white striped t shirts , pointed hat with orange pom pom ?

That would solve some problems .

owen

Lime green uniform , shoes with curley bits at front , green and white striped t shirts , pointed hat with orange pom pom ?

owen

Or even just go back to the dungarees that worked since before WW1 :thumbsup:

Steve

Corpl. Cleaver

owen

No, no, no... more like this!!

Oompa%20Loompab.jpg

No, no, no... more like this!!

Oompa%20Loompab.jpg

I think when I was on the St. Louis, we hauled these guys from the Philipenes to Thiland.

Steve Hesson

The Navy is still a bit odd with the uniforms. The Navy personnel I encountered earlier this year in Afghanistan were either wearing MARPAT desert or ACU uniforms. Most were in ACU's.

The Navy is still a bit odd with the uniforms. The Navy personnel I encountered earlier this year in Afghanistan were either wearing MARPAT desert or ACU uniforms. Most were in ACU's.

With the Navy, the only ones allowed to wear MARPAT are those attached to the Marines. The only ones allowed to wear the Navy NWU II (desert) are Spec War and CBs (the Marines did not want "regular Sailors" being mistaken for Marines). All others are to wear the old DCUs. Of course, there may be some cross polination, and it seems like a logistic pain in the butt to keep stock and transport all this stuff, but like you said, the Navy is still a bit odd about ground warfare uniforms.

Steve Hesson