USMC and Corpsman uniforms

shrapneldude

shrapneldude

post-1424-1314288203.jpg

The Upshur book turned up on eBay, with no mention of it having belonged to a Medal of Honor Recipient and USMC General, but it looked legit, and I won it for a very, very fair price. FS on the forum here did some research for me and found that there were no other Marines with that last name serving at the time, so I can safely conclude that this did belong to "THE" Upshur.

post-1424-1314287897.jpg

Gen. H.M. Smith ribbon display -- these were not his ribbons, just a representative thing made up for a display some years ago.

shrapneldude

post-1424-1314288318.jpg

John Glenn ribbon display, likewise, just a display piece. It does have wide ribbons, but there are NASA ribbons on there as well, along with a nice photo, ERDL backing, Astronaut Naval Aviatiors wings and Col. eagles. Though not authentic, these displays are both pretty cool. There were several similar ones for Army General's Bradley and Eisenhower, which I didn't buy, and a very nice one made up for Gen. Chesty Puller, which I tried very hard to get my hands on and missed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

post-1424-1321484095.jpg

Here's a display board of miscellaneous newer-issue USMC patches, mostly aviation, a few WWII, Korea, and Vietnam era patches and pins mixed in there as well. It's better to stick this loose miscellaneous stuff up on the wall than to leave it in a cigar box to rot.

post-1424-1321484101.jpg

This is my modest, but growing, MOSTLY U.S. "morbid patch" collection.

Great collection. Love the morbid board :)

And what an awesome collection of Marine uniforms. Not sure I've seen even one on the For Sale section in the last couple months, though I've been looking!

• 1 month later...

post-1424-1324614898.jpg

*These last few posts are of another side-project of mine, which began some time ago and very recently got a major boost in the form of a giant box of patches. :D

I'd like to have a complete set of US Navy arc tabs for every USMC command that has Navy Corpsman attached. This will, unfortunately, include a lot of reserve units and small detachments as well as the Naval Hospitals and Large support commands.

VirtualMariner
I'd like to have a complete set of US Navy arc tabs for every USMC command that has Navy Corpsman attached. This will, unfortunately, include a lot of reserve units and small detachments as well as the Naval Hospitals and Large support commands.

I would think that most USMC commands have Corpsman attached, don't they? At the least, the list of those that don't is probably shorter. Several of these tabs you have in the photos, though, are definitely of Navy commands, such as Great Lakes, Bethesda, Guam. For that matter, don't think NAVHOSP Cherry Point, for example, would be considered a USMC command, despite being on a Marine base.

I would think that most USMC commands have Corpsman attached, don't they? At the least, the list of those that don't is probably shorter. Several of these tabs you have in the photos, though, are definitely of Navy commands, such as Great Lakes, Bethesda, Guam. For that matter, don't think NAVHOSP Cherry Point, for example, would be considered a USMC command, despite being on a Marine base.

They may not be USMC commands, but I can say with certainty, and from personal experience, that Marines are treated at Bethesda and Great Lakes, and know of other Marines who were guests at Cherry Point and Guam. There are recruiting commands which do not have corpsmen. Anyhow though, thanks for the correction.

VirtualMariner
They may not be USMC commands, but I can say with certainty, and from personal experience, that Marines are treated at Bethesda and Great Lakes, and know of other Marines who were guests at Cherry Point and Guam. There are recruiting commands which do not have corpsmen. Anyhow though, thanks for the correction.

I didn't mean anything as a correction, per se, just a discussion. Hope I didn't come across as a smart alec. I come from a Navy/Marine family. When I was in the Navy, I was on an Amphib, so when deployed we had twice as many Marines as Navy, typically, but only about half a dozen Marines actually stationed on our ship. Those six Marines were attached to a Navy command - our ship. They weren't considered part of a Marine Detachment, like on line ships...they were actually part of our ship's crew. The other thousand and some odd Marines were attached to the Marine commands that were onboard.

We had our own medical staff of doctors, dentists and Corpsmen that were stationed on our ship, but when we had embarked Marines, the Corpsmen attached to the Marine units (and embarked Navy units) worked in our ship's hospital with our own Corpsmen...so some were attached to the Navy command and some attached to the various Marine commands, though they all worked together for that particular deployment..

When I was stationed in Norfolk, my brother was a Marine airwinger at Cherry Point. My niece was born at NAVHOSP Cherry Point, actually. While there are lots of Navy Corpsmen attached to the Marine units on any USMC base, I think the actual hospitals would be considered Navy commands, because while they're on a Marine base, their own CO would be a Navy officer. I know it's probably just semantics to a lot of people, but I find it interesting how the Navy and Marines intertwine with each other.

By the way, you have an incredible collection. Speaking of Cherry Point...you wouldn't have a SOES patch from there would you? The Roadrunners. I've been looking for one. That was my brothers squadron.

I have a collection of USMC / Corpsman myself. Reading over your last conversation I thought I would add a pic of a womens NAVHOP top to the topic. If I intruded I apoligize.

Also, while checking the top pockets I found a balled up paper. I wet it and gently opened. It's a price list for shrimp! The bottom reads to "See Navy Point OPS to order".

023.jpg

022.jpg

031.jpg

VirtualMariner
I have a collection of USMC / Corpsman myself. Reading over your last conversation I thought I would add a pic of a womens NAVHOP top to the topic. If I intruded I apoligize.

Also, while checking the top pockets I found a balled up paper. I wet it and gently opened. It's a price list for shrimp! The bottom reads to "See Navy Point OPS to order".

Looks like a decent price on the shrimp. ;)

Do you have a name or date on your HM3 uniform?

• 2 weeks later...
shrapneldude

post-1424-1325650952.jpg

This took all summer waiting for the same seller to bring this grouping out a few pieces at a time, but this is the bulk of it. Desert Storm Marine veteran who also played basketball for the Corps in the early 80s. Makes a nice little display.

shrapneldude

post-1424-1325651117.jpg

The small riker case is a US Marine group to a Vietnam Vet who served with Marine Recon, there's a lady Marine hat in there and a small riker case full of misc. marine stuff and a Red Devil patch from 83rd ARCOM.

shrapneldude

post-1424-1325651219.jpg

Here's a case of patches that have been gathering. I'm also going to try to snag up as many of the red on green cuff strikers as I can find.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
shrapneldude

post-1424-1339132069.jpg

WWII veteran's post-war USMC blues Coat

post-1424-1339132075.jpg

Another Vietnam Marine - ribbons are out out of order - not sure if the family did this, or an antique dealer hastily put them back on after they'd fallen off, or what, but from the little bit of research I've done, they are legit and original to the coat, just really out of whack.

shrapneldude

post-1424-1339132262.jpg

Wounded Korean War Marine's uniform.

post-1424-1339132508.jpg

Ribbon rack on an old and banged up, un-named USMC Master Sergeant's khaki shirt.

shrapneldude

post-1424-1339132629.jpg

MP 1st MARDIV helmet liner

post-1424-1339132590.jpg

Ribbon rack to a traitor. (Said jokingly, and with love) Marine who went on to serve in the Army. Vietnam and Afghanistan -- that's level 10 badass right there.

I'm steering the collection a bit more towards the history of the combat wounded Marine, still keeping the general Marine Corps theme, but a heavy emphasis on WIA's and the valiant Navy Corpsmen who risk their lives to help them.

• 1 month later...
shrapneldude

post-1424-1343449204.jpg

USN FMF Corpsman grouping, posted elsewhere on the forum.

post-1424-1343449137.jpg

USN G-1 jacket with life vest, displayed as a USMC pilot during the Korean War era.