USMC and Corpsman uniforms

shrapneldude

Looking good Dan!

One question though, in post #23, how did you get the display to hold the weight of the pack? I have a half mannequin that I am trying to display Army WWII equipment on and it can't hold the weight of just the basic gear empty.

Great job on the collection!

Thanks again, everyone for the compliments.

BEAST -- I didn't do anything special, but I can say that the mannequin that pack display is on is particularly sturdy. You can't see it too well, but there is a HUGE wooden base, and the torso area is very sturdy and reinforced from the inside and it's got more defined shoulders so the pack fits well on it. The pack itself is stuffed with newspaper and not very heavy at all.

There are a few mannequins I've managed to crush under the weight of a pack or, especially the M1955 USMC Flak Vest -- I loaded up a field gear set, the vest, and an ERDL shirt and the whole mannequin torso just cracked, fell down it's stand, and the pole came up through the neck and it was toast. It's just a matter of finding one that's sturdy enough. For packs and heavy gear displays though, I'm thinking a wooden cross beam stand with some sandbags at the feet might be more sturdy and actually add to the appearance somewhat of the display. Get a few good pieces of lumber, make a cross out of it and paint it OD or Black or something, make sure it's good and solidly bolted together and weight it down at the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
shrapneldude

New items today, from a very dear friend of mine.

These two are newly my favorite collection items.

post-1424-1304138404.jpg

post-1424-1304138410.jpg

Pre-1930s era jumper with a Ph.m. Crow and expert gunner striker.

This has the name '*.*. BEST' -- First and Middle initial is illegible, but the last name is clear enough.

Also from the same sailor;

post-1424-1304138428.jpg

post-1424-1304138438.jpg

post-1424-1304138447.jpg

And this -- WWI era Army uniform with USMC buttons, has WWI era medic / corpsman armband, the sad remains of a HQ 6th MAR patch, and a post-WWI era Corpsman's crow.

Interestingly, there are other instances of the later-era crows on uniforms;

http://www.military-historians.org/publica...ey-Corpsman.pdf

shrapneldude
An amazing collection! Love the "Duffy" Bulldog photo! :w00t:

That's Duffy's promotion photo when he made PFC! We love dogs, and dog related Marine stuff is great to have in the collection.

Here's the caption on the backside of the photo.

post-1424-1304215364.jpg

post-1424-1304215371.jpg

post-1424-1304215358.jpg

shrapneldude
Sweet, I wish we could have basements here!

Why can't you have a basement?

Thanks for the compliment! :thumbsup:

Darktrooper

sprprops and I live too close to the ocean, therefore the water table is too high for us to have basements.

• 3 months later...
shrapneldude

Just to confuse this thread a little bit more...here's some updated photos of my collection. I moved most of the Navy Corpsman uniforms to one rack, got a few new patched coats, and re-did a few displays.

post-1424-1314248659.jpg

post-1424-1314248672.jpg

shrapneldude

post-1424-1314248725.jpg

2 small notes here -- the FMF-PAC Dog Platoon coat is re-patched, and the FMF-PAC Defense Battalions khaki officer's coat is a fake.

American Heritage

Very nice museum you have there! I see you added some mannequins too. What is the Camp Upshur book? I'm thinking that it was near Quantico? That has to be a rare item!

post-1424-1314249529.jpg

post-1424-1314249558.jpg

Hey Shrap, could you show a closeup of General Smith's rack and John Glenn's, too? Are Glenn's ribbons the wide style?

You've got one heckuva collection built up! And wayyy too much cloth! No wonder I can't ever find any good Marine uniforms -you've already got them all!

Thanks,

Gary