1868 Officer Fatigue Cap Ornament

Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...W:IT&ih=008

This was advertised as a Female USMC insignia. I believe if it is a "real" that it is only part of an earlier Officer's kepi EGA that has the embroidered bullion anchor. But from what I know, only one complete original exists. Chances are it is a Bannerman insignia or some older repro that had a pin attached I believe. It doesn't look like the repro I have seen. It looks close to the pictured one in Driscoll's reference, but the picture isn't the best in the book I have. If original, it went for a fraction. What are your opinions?

teufelhunde.ret

Marc, I looked at that "emblem?" more than a dozen times, and did put in a modest bid. Could it be the real thing..... stranger things have happened. It certainly does have the right features and characteristics. Had that pin not been mounted on the globe, we may have been able to have a better perspective of how the eagle was mounted. Had the pic's been better... etc... etc... Since all those pieces were jeweler made, there is definite possibility it could be an original. What a find... straight out attic w00t.gif Maybe or maybe not. I would like to think there now exists second, time will tell. Perhaps someone else knows if there were in fact older copies or surplus?

s/f Darrell

1868_officers_EGA.jpg

1868_officers_EGA_BACK.jpg

• 1 month later...

You guys dont want to know how old that thing is, or what it is for that matter. It will make you cry that you didn't buy it. I did when I saw it.

Mike

teufelhunde.ret

I bid it the first time (the first winner/buyer kicked it back) and lost by a few bucks the second time around . Have kept the bidder and all photo's from revised second auction... if it is in fact in is real, it may be one of only a few (counting on one hand?) outside a museum. I plan to conntact the buyer.

I figured that it was mostlikely the real deal. The 2nd auction metioned that the high bidder returned it because of the "hole"... too bad for him. Nice to hear that it went to make a complete set! Hope the new owner will post some pics of this truely rare bird.

I figured that it was mostlikely the real deal. The 2nd auction metioned that the high bidder returned it because of the "hole"... too bad for him. Nice to hear that it went to make a complete set! thumbsup.gif Hope the new owner will post some pics of this truely rare bird.

Soooooooooooooo WHAT IS IT???????

teufelhunde.ret

Bob, sorry to be tardy on this. Biz before pleasure and we are into the second half of the season and I am going full out w/ clients and crews. Here is the rest of this story, this extract is from the TM series that everyone likes to take pot-shots at, it tells the story...

ega_001.jpg