A Family's Supreme Sacrifice. Three Brothers Service in WWII

KASTAUFFER

This really is overwhelming. I could not imagine losing all of your sons in a 9 month span. This sure brings the sadness of war to the forefront. Thanks for sharing...Kat

Reading all these responses reminds me that we are the caretakers of their memories, and not just "stuff " .

Kurt

Reading all these responses reminds me that we are the caretakers of their memories, and not just "stuff " .

Kurt

Well said! As a father of 3 myself, I can't begin to think what it must have been like for those parents to lose all their boys. I'm glad it is in good hands, and will be kept together. Very moving group :crying:

JD

• 1 year later...
Robert's thread about brothers who died in WWII inspired me to bring this back to the top.

And thanks for doing so Kurt...this a grouping that reminds us of the great pain and suffering that came out of this (and every) war. Sometimes we forget that many times there are very tragic stories behind many of the items that we collect. I, for one, will never forget as most of my father's family were lost in WWII. Its one of the reasons I chose to start collecting and researching the history behind these items.

Thanks for the bump...

Vic

• 11 months later...

Such a sad story. Glad you were able to keep the group all together as a tribute to the brothers. Hometown medals are always best.

As we all know, freedom is not free.

The Wharfmaster

• 1 year later...

Kurt,

Thanks for posting this. While saddening, I personally am consoled knowing it is in good hands and will be preserved among those who appreciate the enormity of this one family's sacrifice.

Dennis

Garandomatic

Parents among us can imagine a small bit of what that family went through. My little boy is sitting beside me watching one of his shows on the Ipad, I can assure you life would come to a screeching halt forevermore without him.

I don't recall having seen this thread when you first posted it Kurt. It's really something else.

I was curious as to the aircraft both the Navy brothers were flying, and what the circumstances were behind their loss, if you have that info.

MW

Kurt,

I must have missed this group when you first posted it. What a tragic story! Thank you for posting and keeping their memories alive.

Mike

Brian Dentino

Kurt, I too missed this one the first time around.....a very sobering example of the toll of war on our youth. And for one family to bear the loss of all three of their sons in the service of our Country is truly a humbling thought. Thank you for keeping their story alive for us to honor their memory.

• 2 weeks later...
BigJohn#3RD

A salute to the Ashcraft Family and other families like them who continually answer this nations call to duty in the protection of our freedoms. God Bless Them one and all.

John

• 1 year later...

This is a great grouping to three true american heroes, the sacrifice that family paid is monumental. What burns me a little bit is that so many aviators lost there lives in the rushed pilot training of ww2, at the least i feel they deserved purple hearts. I know the conditions state it has to be a combat related injury or death to receive the purple heart but i still feel as though all the young aviators family should have receive PH's. But thats just my 2 cents.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...