Amphibious Forces - Alligator Cuff Patches ----------

General Apathy

General Apathy
Here are the landing craft they use today took these photo's in 2002 this is at Camp Pendleton this is assault craft unit 5.

001-21.jpg

Some cool patches just thought I would post some shot's so you can see how landing craft has changed.

Hi River Rat, thanks for the photographs good to see what the advancements in beach landing are, I know the hovercrafts can go straight from sea to beach to hard ground without stopping or disgorging their personnel and cargo. :thumbsup:

Pleased to see another great British invention being wisely used by the US military, as do the Marines use a version of the British invented ' Harrier ' VTOL, ( vertical take-off aircraft ). ;)

The hovercraft was designed by Christopher Cockerell in 1955 later to become Sir Christopher Cockerell.

an interesting read at the link below to how he came to this design

http://www.solarnavigator.net/inventors/ch...r_cockerell.htm

Cheers Lewis

Hi Steve, do you have shots of the amphibs you served on, like to see them. :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

Scanning in my photos is still something I need to do. but I served in USS ST. Louis LKA116 from '81-'84, USS Pensacola LSD38 from '90-'93 and USS Nashville from '97-'99. there were shore tours in between each of those. I did a carrier and two DDs before my first Gator.

My father also served in USS Smner County, LST1148 from '63-'65 and USS LSM464 from '62-'63. He also had a Heavy Cruiser, Battleship, Carrier, DD, Repair Ship and a Yard Tug.

Steve Hesson

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an original jumper with the gator at the cuff? I lucked into a hand-tinted photo portrait of a WWII sailor with the gator at the cuff, but never seen an attributed jumper with one on.

Josh

General Apathy

Hi Jim Cappella & Fritz, thanks for showing your felt and bullion patches, love the felt and bullion variants.

:thumbsup:

lewis

Does anyone have an original jumper with the gator at the cuff? I lucked into a hand-tinted photo portrait of a WWII sailor with the gator at the cuff, but never seen an attributed jumper with one on.

Josh

Josh,

There are two jumper and pants with this set. Someone took the patches of the secound jumper except the rupture duck patch. You can see that there was a striker on that one also.

Jason

post-2501-1283950010.jpg

post-2501-1283950048.jpg

post-2501-1283950259.jpg

Josh,

There are two jumper and pants with this set. Someone took the patches of the secound jumper except the rupture duck patch. You can see that there was a striker on that one also.

Jason

post-2501-1283950010.jpg

post-2501-1283950048.jpg

post-2501-1283950259.jpg

Thanks, and a great jumper! I figured you might have one stashed away...

• 2 months later...

Here's a photo showing a sailor in his uniform. He has the amphibious striker on. These were never authorize to be used, but as this picture shows and the uniform that I have is proof that they were used enen though they were not authorize.

I would like to thank Josh B. again for pointing out this picture for me.

post-2501-1289338914.jpg post-2501-1289338629.jpg

Jason

Here's a photo showing a sailor in his uniform. He has the amphibious striker on. These were never authorize to be used, but as this picture shows and the uniform that I have is proof that they were used enen though they were not authorize.

I would like to thank Josh B. again for pointing out this picture for me.

post-2501-1289338914.jpg post-2501-1289338629.jpg

Jason

Looks even better in your post!

post-2104-1289668898.jpg

The first amphib I served on, USS St. Louis. Note the "Winged Gator" in referance to the filght deck we had. The ship was an "Over the side" Gator, where we put assault boats over the side and loaded cargo into them along side, along with Marines climbing down the cargo nets. Along with being a Signalman, I served as assault boat crew.

Steve Hesson

Garth Thompson
Here's another example

post-2501-1289684462.jpg

Jason

Very nice, these are actually quite under appreciated and hard to find.

Garth

• 2 years later...