lead "soldiers" - Marines in dress blues, white helmet

Bob Hudson

Those are some fine models. Are they marked underneath? I am a lead soldier collector--it was through this hobby that I took the leap into militaria. Thank you for sharing!

-Johannes

Those are some fine models. Are they marked underneath? I am a lead soldier collector--it was through this hobby that I took the leap into militaria. Thank you for sharing!

-Johannes

I can see what looks like a large "M" on the bottom of one.

Any thoughts on the vintage of these? I assumed these were something people bought and painted themselves...?

Are these hollow or solid-cast? I cannot find these in my books as yet, but they resemble early (c.1900-1930) US-made lead soldiers. I have seen some solid cast German figures of the same era that resemble this sculpting too. Can you post a picture of the bottoms of the bases?

While some companies sold these unpainted or mold kits for someone to cast their own, my money would be on these being factory-produced as toys of the early 20th century. These might be US Marines or could represent the British Royal Marines.

Sorry I can't be more helpful at this time!

-Johannes

Reason for edit: typo :D

These look like Royal Marines. I dabled in toy soldiers once-upon-a-time. They look very much like a Royal Marine band set I have that are modern day Britians.

These look like Royal Marines. I dabled in toy soldiers once-upon-a-time. They look very much like a Royal Marine band set I have that are modern day Britians.

I hadn't even thought of Royal Marines - in fact I didn't even know their uniforms were so similar to US Marines and I was trying to figure out when the US Marines might have worn something like this with the white helmet. But it does seem to be the Brits.

nevermind.jpg

Either way, a good example of old military "models." I primarily collect old lead soldiers by Britains, of England. Britains paid very close attention to accuracy in uniforms, and their line since the 1890s traces the history and evolution of the uniforms and conflicts.

Forum Support, thanks for sharing your latest acquisitions. It's always good to see some lead soldiers.

-Johannes