Union Veteran Legion - UVL

KevinBeyer

The Union Veteran Legion was formed in 1884. The requirements for membership was that UVL members were to have "volunteered prior to July 1, 1863, for a term of 3 years, and were honorably discharged". Service in the military had to be of at least 2 years in duration if the discharge was due to wounds encountered on the battlefield. Given these requirements, the membership of the UVL was many times smaller than that of the G.A.R.

Below is an image of a UVL Officer badge. I am seeking a Ladies of the UVL membership badge if anyone has one.

UVLOfficerBadge3.jpg

An excellent reference on this group is UNION VETERAN LEGION 1884-1939 by George G. Kane. (He sells this book on eBay.)

Kevin

Kevin,

A very nice UVL badge. thumbsup.gif

Here is an example of the UVL membership button in bronze that was worn in the button hole on the lapel of the coat. It seems to be a rendition of the central shield device in your badge.

UVL_badge.JPG

I also found this interesting UVL Ladies Auxiliary pin on ebay today.

Items belonging to UVL members are quite uncommon. Items belonging to the LUVL are ever more so! I am sure that this auction will close at less than $100. But, that price belies how scarce this type of item really is.

Kevin

• 5 months later...
SCF-Collector

Kevin -

Thought you might like to see a Past Commander, or Past "Colonel Commander" I think the correct title would be, medal for the UVL. I was lucky enough to pick this up some time ago and am just getting around to researching it (a work in-progress)

This medal was Presented to P.C. Joseph Kimes by Encampment No. 73, Union Veteran Legion, Jan 14th, 1896 (engraved on the reverse of the drop - see picture). The actual top bar of the medal has "18 JK 92", which I interpret to indicate when he was Commander of the Encampment. I'm trying to track down information on Encampment No. 73 now (I know it was in Philadelphia).

post-1293-1200109933.jpg post-1293-1200109898.jpg post-1293-1200109923.jpg

You'll notice an enameled (blue) cross with a "4" suspended from his Commander's bar. That indicates the 4th Pennsylvania Reserves - which was the 33rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Joseph Kimes ended the war as Captain of Co. G, 33rd PV - the Harmer Guards of Philadelphia County. Kimes mustered-in May 29, 1861 (1st Sgt) and was promoted to 2nd Lt. 8-1-1862, to 1st Lt. 3-1-1863, and to Captain 4-10-1863. He mustered out with the unit June 17, 1864. I managed to find a picture of him online.

post-1293-1200110190.jpg

Despite the "reserve" designation the unit was quite active. Records indicate they lost 2 officers and 76 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, and 1 officer and 60 enlisted men to disease - total 139. They participated in the battles of Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, and Fredericksburg among others.

Given the general scarcity of UVL materials I consider myself very lucky to have this medal in my collection.

Now THAT is an impressive piece of History!

I have never seen the like before. A presentation medal to a UVL past officer? That is something that is truly rare. Thanks for sharing that with everyone. I would not be surprised if I didn't see another like it in the next 30 years. (Someone prove me wrong and post another one. :) )

Kevin

Here's three Union Veteran Legion national encampment badges:

National Encampment Badge, Chicago, Illinois, 1902

18th National Encampment Badge, Dayton, Ohio, 1903

21st National Encampment Badge, Columbus, Ohio, 1905

post-293-1200404684.jpg

• 2 years later...
KevinBeyer

I have just come across a UVL lapel stud that appears to differ from the one posted by SARGE. I did not realize that there were variations with this insignia. Note that the U and the L in the first example are distinct letters an only overlap with their serif. In the example below the U and the L are circumscribed upon the enlarged V.

UVLLapelStud3.jpg

Which version is earlier? I do not know, but I would suspect that the more ornate design (the latter) is earlier.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

Kevin,

I have no real idea about age, but I'm curious as always as to maker's marks. That might be a clue, too. That's a nice button.

Pete

KevinBeyer

Pete,

I have seen several of these types of lapel buttons for sale with images on their fronts and backs. To date I have not observed a maker's mark. It might be that the various types do indeed come from various makers, rather than a design change instituted by the organization.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I thought that a mark on the back might narrow down a time frame. It seems there were so many emblem/fraternal jewelry makers from the late 19th century through the 1940s.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Kevin, et. al.,

The posting of two badges from the Union Veteran Legion causes me to believe there may be three version of their officer badges. The exceptional presentation badge of SCF Collector illustrates a badge with the center shield containing the words THREE YEARS WE HAVE SERVED (or WE HAVE SERVED THREE YEARS). This style badge is shown in Robert B. Beath's 1888 book on the history of the GAR. Kevin's badge has the words THREE YEAR VOLUNTEERS. Although I have known of these other versions, I have yet to add one to my collection. All of my officer badges have STARS surrounding the shield as shown on the lapel pins and in Figure 1. This badge is the local unit Commander with a thin, silk like red ribbon. What few examples of this badge I have seen also had a similar ribbon--not the heavily ribbed grosgrain ribbon more commonly used. This badge is also the only one I have with a mfg. mark. This mark may be the result of its silver content; a requirement by the US gov't in the 1890s I believe.

post-1633-1276273387.jpg

Figure 2 shows three officer badge pendants. All are unmarked and have a silver finish. George Kane's book on this society notes the badges are commonly bronze. The two pendants on the left are thicker and have softer detail than the thin, sharp feature badge on the right. Difficult to see on the reverse of the left two badges is the faint appearance of bronze beneath the silver wash caused by wear to the service. Figure 1 and Figure 2 also demonstrate the relative frequency of complete officer badges and plain pendents it has been my experience to see at military shows.

Examples of UVL convention badges illustrated in Kane's book most often have the society badge/emblem on them. Early convention badges have the first two shield edge inscriptions. It looks as though the star edge shield does not appear until about 1895-96. From then up to 1925, the convention badges vary in use between the three shield versions.

post-1633-1276273859.jpg

• 5 months later...
SCF-Collector

There hasn't been an update to this thread since June - so I thought I'd post a few new pieces to continue the conversation. I recently picked up this LUVL piece. It's the only encampment badge I have for the LUVL.

It is for the 19th Annual Encampment in Philadelphia in 1908. My assumption given the 1908 & Philadelphia references is that this is the 19th encampment of the LUVL at the 23rd National UVL Encampment held in Philadelphia that year. That would make sense mathematically at least - since the LUVL was formed in 1889 - and the UVL in 1884. It's a nice badge - but nothing at all like the National Badge for that year. Notice the painted flowers in the middle section of the badge. That's a nice touch.

post-1293-1291315117.jpgpost-1293-1291315125.jpg

post-1293-1291315134.jpgpost-1293-1291315142.jpgpost-1293-1291315151.jpg

The ribbon is getting a bit worn on this piece - but it's intact, and otherwise it's in very nice shape. it's a rather ornate badge. Then again, the 1908 National badge was itself fairly ornate.

There is no makers mark on the reverse.

Without specific dates on the badge, and no documentation found so far to provide me with the dates that go along with this badge, I can't for-sure match this up with the National Encampment held in Philadelphia that year - but I think that's a pretty good assumption. Anyone else have any ideas?

SCF-Collector

I could use some help with this UVL piece. I picked it up at a Show not too long ago - not knowing exactly what it was. I knew it was UVL related - but what exactly is it?

At first I thought maybe this is an encampment membership badge of some sort, but there's no encampment designation - which you see on most such badges. Then I stared at it a bit longer and wondered if it might be a LUVL piece. Notice the extra "foot" (for lack of a better term) going to the left on the blue L. It doesn't look like a typical LUVL piece - but could it be?

Whatever it is - it certainly has a different look in terms of all the other UVL pieces I've seen. I really like the top-bar/eagle.

The pin-type tells me it's fairly late, and the overall construction/quality tends to make me think the same thing.

Like I said - I'm not exactly sure what this is - but I know it's UVL related. Any ideas?

post-1293-1291318361.jpgpost-1293-1291318378.jpg

post-1293-1291318393.jpgpost-1293-1291318406.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have come across another variation on the UVL lapel button. That makes three different types so far. Does anyone know of any others?

UVL_membership_buttons_a.jpg

Kevin

• 2 years later...

The Ladies of the UVL is a scarce group when you consider that the membership of the Union Veteran League has been reported to be under 10,000 (as compared to over 400,000 for the G.A.R. at its zenith). Auxiliary groups tend to have less members than their male parent groups. The number of officers they had must be even smaller. So, this badge is not one that is seen all that often.

It is obvious from the reverse that there was originally a ribbon for this badge. I have no idea what color it might have been. Red? Red, White, and Blue? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Kevin

LUVL_PastPresident_800.jpg

• 6 months later...

I have found yet another variation on the UVL insignia. (It is second from the left.) It appears that the lapel stud has been ground off and replaced with a clasp and pin. From the looks of it, this modification was contemporary to the time period.

UVL_Membership_Badges_1000.jpg

UVL_Membership_Badges_Reverse_1000.jpg

Does anyone know of any other variations?

Kevin

• 1 year later...

I have found my first UVL lapel stud with a maker's mark. It was manufactured by the C. G. Braxmar Company which was located at 10-12 Maiden Lane NY. The company was founded in 1879. It was located at this address in the early part of the 1900s.

UVL_LapelStud_CharlesBraxmar_maker.jpg

Kevin

• 10 months later...

Below is an example of a Ladies of the UVL membership made by J.K. Davison of Philadelphia. They don't show up all that often. If anyone has one from a different maker, I would love to see it.

LUVL_membership_both_1000.jpg

Kevin

• 7 months later...

I accidently got these at an auction I attended, found them in a box I had purchased. As I did some research, this thread popped up, so I thought Id add them. This was from a collector sale, so no veteran is associated with them.

Here is a Union Veteran Legion Watch Fob and Union Veteran Legion Souvenir Medal/badge for the 16th National Encampment.

post-1549-0-68176000-1534030493_thumb.jpg

The encampment was Sept. 11-14, 1900, at Ft. Wayne, IN., top of the badge has an image of General Lawton, reverse shows Old Fort Wayne. Gen. Henry Ware Lawton who enlisted in the military from Ft. Wayne, was killed by a sniper in the Philippines in 1899. It was quite a blow to the US Army to lose him. He had been awarded the MOH for action in the Civil War.

The fob has the design of the UVL on the obverse, with the reverse showing the Hugh Mercer Monument at Fredericksburg, VA.

Hope you enjoy seeing them.

I will put more photos in following posts. I posted some sideways so they show larger on the screen

BKW

post-1549-0-79617600-1534030530_thumb.jpg

post-1549-0-05211600-1534030654_thumb.jpg

post-1549-0-02470600-1534030680_thumb.jpg

Interesting the Native American on the viewers right of Lawton's image. He was an "Indian Fighter" and associated with Geronimo.

More photo's to come.

BKW