Need help Identifying this "Infirmary Table" for patients or possibly something else?

Divinemind

Not sure what this would be called or what category to place it in. I can not post in the medical reference section. Any help in identifying this would be greatly appreciated. It is made out of pretty heavy aluminum and reminds me of a modern day laptop stand you would use in your bed.

Thanks

http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/af131/...28Hz/Militaria/

I think it is indeed a hospital bed tray table: it has legs to support it on the bed and handles to lift it off and the top tilts for use in holding reading materials.

traytable.jpg

Thanks for the reply. have you seen any of these before from this time frame? just wondering if it is a rare or common item. it is the first one i have come across. thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply. have you seen any of these before from this time frame? just wondering if it is a rare or common item. it is the first one i have come across. thanks in advance

Old hospital equipment is not too common as is does not fit into most collections and if made of things like aluminum generally finds it way to the scrap metal dealers.

I could not find any photos of that kind of tray in use but I did a couple of other styles of military hospital be trays.

This is a WWII Navy hospital:

hospitalbednavy.jpg

This is a modern field hospital post-surgical bed. I have one of these and each bed comes complete with its own tray system:

hospitalbed.jpg

craig_pickrall

My wife is a nurse so she collects military medical items. This is usually food service items to include dishes, water pitchers, etc and also the type medical items that would be used bedside and for parient care. In other words the things nurses may come in contact with. In all of the things she has and the many items we have looked at on ebay and in stores I have never seen one of these trays for sale. That doesn't necessarily mean it is rare or worth a lot but that is our experience.

do you guys have any other suggestions on determining the rarity of this item? do you think a military medical museum could provide me with some additional information? i was thinking about selling it, but since i have never seen another one like it it is difficult to even know where to begin as far as an asking price.

craig_pickrall

Most of the medical stuff my wife collects starts at a fairly low price. Throw it on ebay at a start of $25 and see where it goes.