Nicaragua Medal of Merit

Kurt Barickman

I have a miniature Medal of Merit somewhere. I don't have a full sized medal but have a couple ribbons for it. Top pic shows two ribbon bars that have the Nicaragua Medal of Merit ribbon on them. In the top one, the Medal of Merit ribbon is fraying. In the bottom one, the other Nicaragua medal ribbon has come loose on the bar. Under them are several segments of the Medal of Merit loose ribbon. The bottom pic shows the Nicaragua Medal of Merit as part of a ribbon bar sewn directly to a uniform.

post-1107-1284421517.jpg

post-1107-1284421525.jpg

It's mid-late 1930s, brownish khaki cotton with matching breeches. It has earlier Capt Bars on the epaulets, droopy wing officer lapel EGAs with double screw back mounts, Nicaragua triangles on the lower lapels, and ribbons as you see them here. The picture was cropped from the only one I have of it. It's buried in a wardrobe box in my storage locker at present. I haven't hauled it out in probably a year and a half or more because the wardrobe is not easily accessible (deliberately done) with a a bunch of other boxes and furniture between it and the storage locker door.

• 5 years later...

Kurt - The Banana Wars era and the USMC are a passion with me. Thought those also interested in Nicaraguan decorations to Marines might enjoy seeing this certificate. This Marine aviator was awarded the Military Merit Medal in 1932 as a result of his work during the Managua earthquake. He was at the time the C.O. of VJ-6M.

attachicon.gifPalmer_USMC_2.JPG

attachicon.gifCreat0002.JPGattachicon.gifCreat0003.JPG

attachicon.gifCreat0004.JPG

Bob,

Wasn't there also a Presidential Medal of merit? Though it was round wasn't it. The again at one time I thought I saw a medal od merit with the triangle but had a white background and a stripped ribbon like the earlier on posted.

Anyone has any pics of these?

4starchris

Wasn't there also a Presidential Medal of merit? Though it was round wasn't it. The again at one time I thought I saw a medal od merit with the triangle but had a white background and a stripped ribbon like the earlier on posted.

Anyone has any pics of these?

4starchris

This might be the round medal that you had in mind.

post-10651-0-44024300-1447382375.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Do you happen to know the ribbon color? Is this in your collection<4starchris

I think this is the correct ribbon. Yes, the medal is in my collection. It's marked 14k on the rim but doesn't have any other markings.

post-10651-0-05924800-1448061135.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's a good summary of the four awards of Nicaragua and a comparison picture of the Medal of Merit (in bronze on the left) with the Presidential Medal of Merit (on the right). The Medal of Distinction is the gold medal shown above.

post-10651-0-85671800-1453146377.jpg

post-10651-0-90395300-1453146388.jpg

• 5 months later...

I've owned this group for several years and finally had a chance to research it in St. Louis. Fortunately the service file contained a good "paper trail" on the Medal of Merit.

post-10651-0-81389900-1467418503.jpg

post-10651-0-69103800-1467418555.jpg

Forwarding letter from the Commandant to the CO of the 4th Marines for presentation.

post-10651-0-81874600-1467418780.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Adam,

What a GREAT BANANA War USMC grouping! I absolutely love it. Congrats!

Kurt

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Adam, are the crescent devices USMC? I have never heard of Marines wearing such metal insignia. I know that design was used briefly on mess chevrons in the (I think) 30's.

Fantastic group, Adam. You don't find mounted pre-WWII USMC medal bars that often!

Great group Adam and Thank You for posting the research.

USMC Banana War groups are my favorites, especially when they have foreign awards like that.

I remember this group well, as I mulled over purchasing it one Sunday morning. I had purchased a more expensive group that week and couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Looking at your research, I now wish I would've purchased it. I really appreciated the citation for the Nicaraguan Medal of Merit. That is the first citation that I have seen for that award.

Did you have any luck locating the citation for the Navy Commendation Ribbon?

I am glad that you purchased it.

If I recall correct, those crescent moons would be appropriate collar insignia for a USMC Mess Officer from that period, fitting of a Warrant Officer.

Thanks for posting.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I would love to see the documentation on that Rocco! I have never heard of such authorized devices but it would make sense! The only ones that I were aware of were Adjutant/IG, Quartermaster, Paymaster and Gunner. Guess it is something else I need to keep my eyes open for! (:

I know the feeling when too many good items come up for sale at the same time...

I don't have the citation for the Commendation Medal yet. It's in Barnes' officer file which doesn't become Archival until December, 2017.

The single crescent was the rank insignia for a Sub-lieutenant / 2nd Lt. in the Guardia Nacional. Attached is a photo of 2nd Lt. Ray W. Jeter wearing similar insignia.

post-10651-0-87246600-1467595635.jpg

Wow, I was off the mark on that one. Thinking that he was a Mess Officer was another factor that made me pass the group up.

That makes total sense for the Navy Commendation citation. Not too long to wait.

Thank You for the information Adam. That is a great photo.

Here is a grouping I have had for 20+ years - General Frank D. Weir USMC- I believed this to be a late 1940's early 1950's replacement set - the "El Merito" was manufactured by NS Meyer - The Cloud and Banner (China) is #'d 872

Bill

post-248-0-73017100-1467651728.jpg

post-248-0-21154400-1467651739.jpg