Nicaragua Medal of Merit

Kurt Barickman

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Adam, do you have any close-up shots of the crescent devices? I found one online but I am unsure if it is Army or Marine (or if there is even a difference at all). Alec - are there any documents at all detailing the Nicaragua / Haiti devices that were worn in those campaigns at all?

Adam, do you have any close-up shots of the crescent devices? I found one online but I am unsure if it is Army or Marine (or if there is even a difference at all).

Here's a shot of the reverse. No markings on them. To the best of my knowledge the Army didn't have personnel serving in the GN so such rank wouldn't apply.

post-10651-0-00403100-1470332049_thumb.jpg

Weren't crescents indicative of commissary or cook or some such early on?

The style clasp on those gold ones (rounded) I've seen on pre-WWI insignias

SgtMaddoxUSMC

That is what my understanding was too Brig until seeing the photo that Adam posted. I always associated crescents with mess... Still see the Crescent emblem on the side of every case of MREs. I think the crescents in the photos Adam showed had more of a curve than the ones I posted.

• 6 months later...

SGT MADDOX, Do yo happen to know what leatherneck issue in 1933 this was? I would like to read thw whole article.

Thanks for the great post.

4starchris

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Bob and Adam,

Whenever you two gentlemen get a chance, would you mind taking some close up shots of the front and backs of the GN hat devices? I am looking at mine and it feels off... also looking at a photo of one I took at the NMMC.. I would like to do some comparisons if you guys would be kind enough to post some detailed photos. Thanks!

• 3 years later...
CNY Militaria

I wish I could ID this set...but so far no luck. The Nicaraguan medal is at the end. 

DSCN7080.jpg

DSCN7081.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Don't think they're common but the fact that it is just the planchett and is not attributed I am sure will affect value negatively