Admiral John Sydney McCain

gdk

G,

I've never seen it before, sure looks nice.

Perhaps we'll get some input from others.

PS, I'll take a 2nd out, if you will. :lol:

vintageproductions

A lot of the Admirals estate was sold by a family member in San Diego about five or so years ago.

A lot of the Admirals estate was sold by a family member in San Diego about five or so years ago.

I just wish I had an extra $53,000 laying around that I could just say "cool" and then just toggle the "add to cart" button. :blink:

Allan

I just wish I had an extra $53,000 laying around that I could just say "cool" and then just toggle the "add to cart" button. :blink:

Allan

What? You don't????

:blink:

I have to say I find it a little odd that Senator McCain has not snapped this up - given the importance placed on his military heritage. Perhaps he is unaware that it is for sale.

(I'm guessing there is no way he would sold it, and his immediate family is not short on money.)

- Gdk.

i saw this and thought why would Mcain family sell this??? :think:

I would not be surprized if its a made up group but MO only !!!

I also don't like Emedals all that much Alot of fake items IMO and very over priced !!

Scott: I very much doubt the immediate family of JSMc III sold this. Of course, JSMc I probably had several children, each one of which may have had several children, etc. - so any of his grandchildren may have inherited it.

- Gdk.

Also, are the cases for the US decorations correct?

- Gdk.

The NC and the DSM appear to be.

The APCM is not.

PS-Does anyone want to go in 50%-50% ?

JS: I wish!

Kurt: Ah good call. But, then what goes in the case the DSM is in? It looks ... foreign. I guess it's the crest. Might be for a foreign decoration?

- Gdk.

If you buy this, you're only guaranteed to be buying paperwork that belonged to him. No way to tell which medals/insignia were added or switched-out of the group. There are some really nice medals there, but no way to prove they actually belonged to him (other than perhaps the Mexican Service). That's the problem with a lot of Navy decorations - not designed to be named or numbered. It's very easy to "replace" stuff in Navy groups.

I'd need to see more stuff that is iron-clad tied to him before I shell out $50K.

Kurt

JS: I wish!

Kurt: Ah good call. But, then what goes in the case the DSM is in? It looks ... foreign. I guess it's the crest. Might be for a foreign decoration?

- Gdk.

The other box says "Lima".

That must be for the ; Cruz Peruana de Aviacion, from Peru.

If you buy this, you're only guaranteed to be buying paperwork that belonged to him. No way to tell which medals/insignia were added or switched-out of the group. There are some really nice medals there, but no way to prove they actually belonged to him (other than perhaps the Mexican Service). That's the problem with a lot of Navy decorations - not designed to be named or numbered. It's very easy to "replace" stuff in Navy groups.

I'd need to see more stuff that is iron-clad tied to him before I shell out $50K.

Kurt

AGREED!

And for $50K, they had better dance to a buyers tune. :thumbsup:

KurtA: true. But, given the facts of life about Navy decorations, I don't think you'll ever see a better documented group. What would you like to see added?

- Gdk.

KurtA: true. But, given the facts of life about Navy decorations, I don't think you'll ever see a better documented group. What would you like to see added?

- Gdk.

Throw in a named admiral's hat, jacket (with complete sewn-on ribbon rack) and sword (etched name on the blade) and I'll get a Paypal payment off tonight.

Endgame 1945
I have to say I find it a little odd that Senator McCain has not snapped this up - given the importance placed on his military heritage. Perhaps he is unaware that it is for sale.

(I'm guessing there is no way he would sold it, and his immediate family is not short on money.)

- Gdk.

I don't think McCain knows what a computer is. :pinch:

Allan

The group was only about $35,000 when it was offered by a German auction house about a year ago. It didn't sell then, so I doubt it will sell now.

The group was only about $35,000 when it was offered by a German auction house about a year ago. It didn't sell then, so I doubt it will sell now.

Maybe they just transposed the numbers this time? :lol:

Or they're hoping for a wealthy senator who wants his dad's stuff back???

vintageproductions

The group I mentioned was sold by a granddaughter and was a cousin of Sen McCain. When the buyer asked about her cousin she had nothing nice to say. The only thing she kept was a huge oil painting of the Admiral.

This is actually the senators Grandfather.

I dont see anything in that group that says to me it was put together. I have only seen 3-4 blue DSM boxes in 30 years. I dont think I would pay 53K for it, but I think the group is righteous. The condition of the medals is somewhat consistent too.

Kurt