long term storage of pistols

ColtM1911

Hello,

has any forum members used a product called "vapor paper", if so, how is it?

Also, many other firearm collectors i know store their old pistols in sealed plastic ziplock bags, i questioned it at first but they have been doing this way longer than me and they said it works great. However, I am still concerned about having the metal with its blued finish coming in direct contact with the plastic bag itself.

So I was thinking of wrapping the guns in the vapor paper and then sealing them in a plastic bag. Does anyone see any harm in that? I would of corse check on the pistols every few months and give them a good cleaning.

Best Wishes,

David.

vostoktrading

I clean all my guns every 6 months or so even though I rarely use them. I'm kind of tired of doing that and if there is some kind of way to preserve them without cleaning them so often I'd like to know.

I collect pistols as well. Someone told me to make sure that they are not stored in holsters. I've also been told not to oil the outside of the pistols very much. While it is a good idea to wipe them down with a lightly oiled rag after handling, if you leave too much lubricant (such as WD-40 or RemOil) on the frame or slide, it will leave a residue. WD-40, for example, contains paraffin, and will leave a residue on the pistol which, after long exposure, may have a slightly negative impact on finish.

I would not put pistols in plastic bags. I doesn't sound like a good idea, and depending on the climate, condensation could build in the bags and cause surface rust or damage to finishes. A friend of mine leaves his pistols in a large, locked closet without cases just resting on cloth or carpet sections. This may work for you, but it may be an issue if you're limited on space or have children.

Those are just my ideas,

John C.

Thanks for the imput and ideas everyone, I have done additional research and i have desided against a normal plastic bag and vapor paper. currently I use silicone gun cloth to wipe down my 1911 and hoppies gun oil but am also going to invest in some of that sheepskin cloth as i heard it to it a great product. Also, i was going to upgrade the hoppies to using a collector version of "Break Free". Is Break Free ok to apply to the blued finish of older pistols??

For storing my pistols I am thinking about using some of Brownells products...here are the links, does anyone have experience using these storage bags. If so let me know how you liked them and how well they worked?? Also, are they resealable?? http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=3988/sku/3_Pak__Handgun

OR... if i dont use the storage bag I was thinking about getting a clean thick sheapskin rug and placing it in a hard plastic case with the pistol resting on the rug. Throw in a brownell moisture pack and call it a day.

Would the blued metal finish wear if resting on the sheapskin rug?? and over time would the sheapskin rug attract moisture and dust??

Sorry for the number of questions i have but i think this thread will benifit other members as well as myself.

Thanks in advance,

David.

Sgt Saunders

I use Brake Free on a soft cloth. I've never lost a gun to it. I'm skeptical about the sheep skin rug.

I'd be afraid of it attracting moisture. What do you have for a safe? I have an plug in "Golden Rod"

in both of mine and that keeps everything dry. If you don't have a safe an ammo can would work.

Wrap the pistol in vapor barrier paper and put a descant on the can. You didn't say how long you want

to store it. If over extended period of 2 years or more I'd consider comoline or grease.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for telling me about your successful experiences with break free. I have a 15-rifle sized Stack-on safe with a shelf on top. On the shelf I keep a remington-dry pack and my pistol case with my 1911. The 1911 would be there for along time (years) until i can permedently display it, however, I also check on the pistol EVERY month or so. Also, I want to stay away from greese or comsoline as I enjoy checking the pistol over and then I just wipe it down with a silocne or sheapskin cloth and put it away.

I did call up brownell and ask then about using vapor paper to wrap my 1911 and he said it is used for shipping firearms not storing them.

The only other reason that I was not going to use solely vapor paper was because I wanted a "thicker substance" to seperate the blued metal and the plastic case, to avoid scrathes and dings. I quess, basicaly I am looking for a material that takes the job of the egg-shell foam that I no longer use. One that does not attract moisture, acts as a padding to rest the 1911 on, and won't wear the pistol's Blued finish.

Thank you and your help is much appreciated!

david.

Garandomatic

Remoil doesn't leave to bad of a residue. I've got several pistols that I haven't touched for a while, and when I handle them it hasn't been a problem.

I read on a serious gun board that WD 40 is really bad for guns. Fella had a Smith & Wesson and used it as his lube. Ended up gunking up the action so bad that he had to take the sideplate off and give it a good cleaning. On a Smith, that's kind of a big deal, and real easy to screw up the screws. I am also suspect of WD's long term lubricating qualities.

I either shoot or fiddle with my guns frequently enough that a good cleaning happens a few times a year just as a matter of personal policy.

I use these for long term storage of Lugers and P38s.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?prod...mber=1446143950

The sacks come in a variety of sizes. I have been using these for roughly ten years with no problem. All pistols are stored in a Browning safe equipped with a Golden Rod which does a lot to hold the humidity at safe levels in the South.

Thanks for your help, That sounds like a good idea to store pistols and I am definitly going to buy one of those goldenrods in my gunsafe.

David.

Here is another idea...

I talked to a curator at the NRA museum and he told me that the best method to store my 1911 would be to lay put a 2 inch layer of Closed-Cell ETHAFOAM inside a sealed plastic case, with the pistol resting on the Ethafoam. Then stick in a silca-gell pack for added protection.

Any thoughts guys???

islandhopper

If the firearm is going to be stored for a while, I would suggest breaking it down into parts and after verifying that the parts are clean, I would lightly grease everything with Lubriplate (except the bore, which I would give a generous amount of RemOil). Reassemble and then store the pistol in a silicon gun sock.

I don't think I would store a pistol on sheepskin.

Here's some other suggestions. Pay attention to Johnny Peppers' comments.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php...ghlight=storage

Here is another idea...

I talked to a curator at the NRA museum and he told me that the best method to store my 1911 would be to lay put a 2 inch layer of Closed-Cell ETHAFOAM inside a sealed plastic case, with the pistol resting on the Ethafoam. Then stick in a silca-gell pack for added protection.

Any thoughts guys???

Are we talking about storing just one pistol? If so it should not be much of a problem to maintain it without going through so many hoops. You are going to receive about as many different ways to store a pistol as the number of people you are going to ask.

I don't think I would store a pistol on sheepskin.

Here's some other suggestions. Pay attention to Johnny Peppers' comments.

Johnny Peppers seems to know waht he is doing, I also really like his method or storing! Thank you posting those links.

Any thoughts on Closed-cell Ethafoam?

(I hope this thread helps other pistol collectors as it has really come in handy for me)

It's interesting to read all these high tech solutions.

My Dad stored his old Browning automatic in an old sock. Oiled of course. Kept it that way for years and as far as I could tell there was no degradation to either the metal or its finish.

Apparently it was a trick he learned in the Marine Corps. It seems the thick sock served as a barrier to humidity.

I am sure that is not the answer you were looking for, but I thought I would throw it out there.