post-8933-1282213836.jpg

Helio,

I have question about this medal.

HAve slot broach . Is it re-ribboned?

What so you think about this medal? ?? :think:

sorry for bad photos...

Thank you

Lubos

Yes, tough to make out much from the photo, but based on the oversized planchet ring, I'd say the medal is a modern fake. The brooch and ribbon are clearly modern.

Kurt

Endgame 1945
Yes, tough to make out much from the photo, but based on the oversized planchet ring, I'd say the medal is a modern fake. The brooch and ribbon are clearly modern.

Kurt

I disagree. I think this was a restrike done during the World war II period. I know a small amount were restruck during this period. This would explain the slot brooch and would not make it a fake. The medal is still a nice despite being a restrike.

I disagree. I think this was a restrike done during the World war II period. I know a small amount were restruck during this period. This would explain the slot brooch and would not make it a fake. The medal is still a nice despite being a restrike.

That could be, but a better photo is needed. The ring just looks a bit too big. I have one of those late contract CRE medals somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and compare the two.

Kurt

I agree with Kurt. It's probably a fairly modern strike (within the past 20 years, or newer) that's been re-ribboned with a slot brooch.

I bought this medal and seller told me this is WWII strike era.

If medal will be delivered i send better photos.

Thank you for all comments.

Lubos

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it certainly was reribboned, as the condition of the brooch and ribbon do not match that of the planchet. The planchet looks cast to me. I stand by my original opinion.

Kurt

Well, it certainly was reribboned, as the condition of the brooch and ribbon do not match that of the planchet. The planchet looks cast to me. I stand by my original opinion.

Kurt

Between all of the pock marks on the face of the medal and the lack of detail in the stars- look at all of the different sizes of the points on each star- I have no doubt that Kurt A was right on the money with his assessment. :thumbdown: No way is this a WWII era strike (no way it is a strike!). I looks like a cast copy to me!

Allan

No way is this a WWII era strike (no way it is a strike!). I looks like a cast copy to me!

Allan

I agree. Looks like a cast copy.

The medal was cast. One additional way to tell beyond the pitting and detail on the eagle is by looking at the lettering. When the piece was cast in wax before it was cast in brass the letters were smoothed. When wax was cleaned up and smoothed they lost the flat surface and nice edges of the letters. The letters now look like worms. Lettering is the hardest part to fake because letters are so exact.

Dick