i want an m79 grenade launcher

disclaimer: i'm thinking of getting a king arms(airsoft) m79 grenade launcher so this is more about justifing what i want.

so i want an m79 grenade launcher and after looking around i've come up with four options.

1. 40mm

pros; real deal not a copy

cons; price, having to deal with atf, not having a place to shoot it (gun club said NO!!) ammo hard to find, tax on ammo? (do you have to pay a tax for chalk rounds?)

on gunbroker they have or had one for 8500.00 not counting tax, shipping, dealer fee, lawer fee,etc

2. 37mm

pros; close to real one, title 1 firearm

cons; 37mm (my opion only) kinda of seems like you could get in trouble with law easy if you make the wrong "flare", you can only make flares ,and in kansas not many safe places to shoot during dry summer. price is little high for me.

mr 40mm has reciever for 3500.00 and 37mm barrel for 600.00

3. dummy

pros; would look like readl deal, may be made from real parts, price

cons; not much you can do with except display, not for sure dummy guns are leagal in kansas

vietnamguns has a movie prop gun for 398.00 did google search and did not find any dummy m79 grenade launchers made from parts kits

4. airsoft

pros; price, they look real with wood stock

cons; (have not seen one except online) feel may feel like toy, just able to shoot nerf ,or airsoft bb's

some airsoft store had one for 269.00

that's it

the reason im thinking airsoft is i just want it for display ,and maybe the cool factor. would love to have a dd real one but can not aford it ,and if i was going to go nfa would probably do an m60 or m3a1 over m79

i also understand those who collect world war two or earlier firearms and belive if its not usgi issued it's not worth collecting, but for those of us who like more modern military firearms it's hard or impossable to collect real usgi firearms.

mods if in wrong forum please move.

I have one of the Kings Arms ones and have used it on public displays, i have let vets hold it and most have to be told its fake, it doesn't feel like a toy.

Get these shells and use CO2 in them Madbull shells

I made up a rubber 40mm shell put that in the barrel with the CO2 M203 shell behind it and you can launch it about 100 meters, if you want to fire BB's or powder tip it in the shell and use masking tape to hold it in, works a treat.

You can't beat the price of the Kings arms ones, even as a starting point.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I have one of the Kings Arms ones and have used it on public displays, i have let vets hold it and most have to be told its fake, it doesn't feel like a toy.

Get these shells and use CO2 in them Madbull shells

I made up a rubber 40mm shell put that in the barrel with the CO2 M203 shell behind it and you can launch it about 100 meters, if you want to fire BB's or powder tip it in the shell and use masking tape to hold it in, works a treat.

You can't beat the price of the Kings arms ones, even as a starting point.

so the kings arms looks and feels real how does it shoot? does it kinda of thump or not so?

100 meters seem real good for range!

another reason was leaning towards the airsoft is if did have real one would probably only shoot chalk rounds and with airsoft over dummy you could still shoot just 100 meter instead of 350 meters

I went the real route. It's not as bad as you write... As far as "dealing with ATF" it really isn't bad. My Form 1 was a very simple matter of two "Applicant" fingerprint cards, a passport photo, and my DA signed the CLEO section. It sounds like a lot of "hoops" but everything can be done in a day. Add the check for $200 for the tax, wait 3-5 months, and when approved, you can start your build.

I admit that I have a lot of very good contacts in the 40mm community, one of which helped a lot with re-welding my receiver. You can't tell by looking at it that it was ever welded. When I add all the small parts cost, and items I traded to get parts for it, I probably have about $2000 invested in it, that's including all the labor, and two barrels, one 40mm and one 37mm. It's a registered DD, so I can fire either 37mm stuff, or 40mm stuff from it.

As far as ammo goes, I reload my own for the most part, but have a pretty large real 40mm collection. Not to advertise here, but I produced two reloading guides for the 40mm and 37mm a few years ago. Drop me a PM or EM and I can give you the info if you are interested in going the real route.

As far as an Airsoft "feeling" real... You'd have to have a real one in one hand, and an Airsoft in the other... You can tell the difference. GROG

My M79 with fiberglass hardware:

0672.jpg

"I won't tell you which church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own." GROG

I built my M79 for a little over $5k. I think if one has patience you can still do it for that price maybe cheaper, maybe more.

That being said, do what you want. It's your money. Ive always liked the real thing over the anything else. I can shoot pretty much anything I want out of it. It's a fun toy.

Kind of a shame the military don't use them any more.When in Special Boat Unit IX 1n the 1990's we still had the M-79 in the armory we would go to Camp Roberts for a gun shoot it was a blast we would shoot the M-79,203,MK-19,50 cal,M-60,60mm mortar on the back of a Deuce and a halve truck,and even got to set off a claymore mine and throw a few grenades.I can see why they did away you have the best of both worlds with a M-16 and a 203.But I still think with the M-79 you can put out more rounds.Well Ken what did you get?

Kind of a shame the military don't use them any more.When in Special Boat Unit IX 1n the 1990's we still had the M-79 in the armory we would go to Camp Roberts for a gun shoot it was a blast we would shoot the M-79,203,MK-19,50 cal,M-60,60mm mortar on the back of a Deuce and a halve truck,and even got to set off a claymore mine and throw a few grenades.I can see why they did away you have the best of both worlds with a M-16 and a 203.But I still think with the M-79 you can put out more rounds.Well Ken what did you get?

nothing yet ,but looking into a nfa trust

i've learned alot since my first post about 40mm ,and would like to thank the good people on this forum for all their help.

nothing yet ,but looking into a nfa trust

i've learned alot since my first post about 40mm ,and would like to thank the good people on this forum for all their help.

ken, i sure hope you get a chance to purchase an M-79. it is a weapon that someday i may purchase. i carried one in vietnam and shot hundreds of rounds thru it. i usually road shot gun in a duce & half with it ready. i have a picture or two of it if you are interested i will post ithem.

when you get it post some pictures.

thanks

ron

They're still in inventory and generally used. A buddy on another forum sent me these pics.

P2220227.jpg

P2220221.jpg

• 2 months later...

One question about the M79 blopper : how many different version of the stock were in use for Vietnam period ?

It looks like they were two different sort of pad for the wooden stock.

post-467-1289146321.jpg

"One law for them, another one for us !"

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif

One question about the M79 blopper : how many different version of the stock were in use for Vietnam period ?

It looks like they were two different sort of pad for the wooden stock.

By my count, there were probably 5 different stock combinations for the M79. The earliest ones were walnut and used the Pachmayr white line buttpad as shown in your photo. I think these were most prevalent on the Springfield Armory XM79 marked guns as they were the first produced.

Next came a walnut stock with a more generic pad, but still perforated with triangular holes like the Pachmayr. These were also a reddish brown color but did not have the white spacer. They were marked "SUPREME" on the face.

After that came the third variation of the walnut stock, this time with a solid brown buttpad with no side openings. My example is marked "NOSHOC" on the face. This type of buttpad was also used on the 4th variation stock, which is the same except constructed of stained birch instead of walnut.

Finally came the brown fiberglas stocks with the solid black buttpad as seen on the 4 M79s on the table together above. One of those looks dark enough to be black, so perhaps there's another variation as well. I haven't seen one that dark in person but it looks a bit mottled, like some of the XM16E1 rifle stocks of that period.

There might be more M79 variations but those are the ones I have observed over the years.

Rick

donation2007.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.