More Questions About Authenticity

uscollector

I hope I am not being a nuisance but I am just trying to learn from the wealth of knowledge possessed by members of this forum. These two wings offered for auction appear to me to be newly manufactured. The method used to attach the pins also looks like a more modern method than used on WWII or earlier wings. The wings were not described as being from WWII or any other time period so I don't want to reflect unfavorably on the seller. They were described as "used". There are several more wings being offered that have the same general appearance as these. I realize that it may be awkward to evaluate items belonging to someone else but any comments would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Asking honest questions in order to gain knowledge is never a nuisance as this is what the USMF is all about!

I do not see anything wrong with the two linked wings from the photos provided. Additionally first wing the seller states he thinks in from the 50s... you may have missed that part. From the post length, attachment method, and clutch type they are a nice set of real wings.

The seller appears to be offering a nice selection of shirt size (2 inch) and smaller wings. I Just got back from vacation and its is a bit late so I did not have the time to look at all the wings offered.

I hope this information helps.

Cheers

John

Here is were wing collecting is fun. I don't have a problem with the 2" wings, but the Command pilot wings look to me ( personally) to be either cast, due to the "rolled" edges and weak details, or a poor strike. I, personally would pass on them. I have had all of these in my collection at one time or another ( although I don't have any right now) and my personal experence is that that Jostens are usually very "crisp" strikes. The Jostens have been reproduced for a while so you need to be careful.

Others may disagree, but that is what makes it fun, right? :blink:

Thanks for the replies. I was not considering buying either of these wings. I was just using them as examples to try to learn about evaluating wings. I formed my own opinion first and then sought the opinions of experts to see how my opinion compared. If there is any way that the more experienced collectors could post or refer to pictures of examples of wings and then explain the different points about them that they noted, it would be very helpful. As with some other areas of collecting, the risk of being taken due to inexperience and lack of knowledge is a real problem.

Not to beat a dead horse but bidding on these two items just closed and both received 0 bids. The seller has two pages of wings that look similar to these for sale, some of which are described as reproductions.

Not to beat a dead horse but bidding on these two items just closed and both received 0 bids. The seller has two pages of wings that look similar to these for sale, some of which are described as reproductions.

Well one reason may be the starting price was about the max you could get for that 2 inch wing and that is by someone who really wanted it... As for the CP I think the photos are bad and that may be part of the problem with the details on the wing. Additionally the starting price was way too high when if you wait you can get it cheaper as they are not that hard to find.

John