Plastic EGA

GICOP

PLASTIC/BAKELITE EGA

Can anyone give me some info on this type of EGA i.e.

Dates of manufacture

Any special markings to look for

Many thanks

Martyn

teufelhunde.ret

Here are the two threads in the EGA reference section. Perhaps one of the Mod's know when these began. Will move these threads out of the reference section into the EGA discussion area for further comment & posts.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=7548

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=7551

I purchased a large lot of stuff last night. All of the EGA's I am putting on here for sale and for ID are from that lot. This one is plastic. The bottom of the anchor was broke at two of the three connecting points. I decided to "mend" it, since I will most likely keep it. What is the story on these? What does the marking mean?

post-98-1186257658.jpg

these are late WWII when metal was becoming scarce due to the war effort. they're a bit harder to find than the brass ones, and fetch between 15-25 bucks a piece.

as for the marking, I'm not sure, I'm assuming just a manufactorer's code

I go by the general assumption that anything repaired hampers the value a bit. A buyer would probably prefer to buy it in its original state, so maybe by a few bucks, yeah.

I was afraid it was going to break off completely, so I resorted to the careful glue job. I figured the broken pieces would be worth nothing and repaired something. I generally do not mess with stuff, but in this case felt I had no choice.

I purchased a large lot of stuff last night. All of the EGA's I am putting on here for sale and for ID are from that lot. This one is plastic. The bottom of the anchor was broke at two of the three connecting points. I decided to "mend" it, since I will most likely keep it. What is the story on these? What does the marking mean?

Here is some additional information on your plastic or bakelite EGA:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=7551

Sorry, but once they're broken, they're broken. You can try and glue them, but no glue I've found, including Super Glue, seems to work. It'll work for awhile, but because of the material used in these EGA's, which is basically the same material used in the smaller WWII "spotter" or ID aircraft models, it's pretty much a lost cause trying to repair them. Hopefully, the one remaining connecting point will hold it together.

I'm fairly certain that the numbers found on the reverses are nothing more than quality control lot numbers.

Gary