M-1935 Bedding Roll or not?

S1991

Hi all,

I am wondering is the GI walking up front wearing a M-1935 Bedding Roll or is he wearing something else?

Some people and well known people in the collecting world of US WW2 items told me it was a Bedding Roll.

Now my question is, what is he actually wearing/holding in his hands?!?!?!

Many thanks in advance !

Silvano

101stengineers.th.jpg

craig_pickrall

The bedding roll has a main strap that goes the length of the roll and 3 straps that go around the circumference and thread thru loops in the length strap. When rolled it is pretty big. I don't have any photos of the M1935 done but I do have photos of the strap assembly. I think it is more likely a sleeping bag, or shelter half rolled up. Either of those are smaller than the bed roll.

post-5-1281922799.jpg

Thanks Craig.

So that sleeping bag what OD Man posted could just be it?

I also heard it could be several wool blankets rolled up and then putted in a Shelter half?

But actually I don't think it is a shelter half as the item the soldier has is way thicker then a shelter half I guess.

Any more help would be appreciated !

I think you are right Silvano...the more I look at it the more it looks like a sleeping bag or blankets that are wrapped in a shelter half.

Well I don't think your bag is it either.. Don't see any signs of that rope around it like you got it.

But also as for the wool blankets and shelter half I ain't sure... But ofcourse it is a possiblity that he has 2 wool blankets rolled up and butted them in a shelterhalf. But I keep wondering then if it is indeed a wool blanket and shelter half how he combined both and makes sure they kept together? Perhaps rope or so?

Who knows ! More information will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

General Apathy

post-344-1281966669.jpg

Hi all,

I am wondering is the GI walking up front wearing a M-1935 Bedding Roll or is he wearing something else?

Some people and well known people in the collecting world of US WW2 items told me it was a Bedding Roll.

Now my question is, what is he actually wearing/holding in his hands?!?!?!

Many thanks in advance !

Silvano

101stengineers.th.jpg

Hi Silvano, OD Man and Craig, I have enlarged the photo as large as I can before it goes into pixel distortion, there appears to be a rope knot on the bottom right corner and a rope running diagonally underneath the canvas, so may well be a tent roll, however what he has inside it I wouldn't want to guess.

When I go on trips with my 2nd Armored group in our M-8 armored cars I make up my bedroll that straps on the outside of the turret with a pup tent outer sheath for rain protection, tenets are still fairly easy to acquire, M-1935 bedroll are not so easy to replace.

Cheers Lewis

Thanks Lewis !

A great help ! I've compared the photo with some photo's of a shelter half and I can't say anything else then it has to be a shelter half wrapped around wool blankets or something else.

And indeed these M-1935 Bedding Rolls aren't easy to find.

Thanks for your input Lewis !

Silvano

General Apathy
Thanks Lewis !

A great help ! I've compared the photo with some photo's of a shelter half and I can't say anything else then it has to be a shelter half wrapped around wool blankets or something else.

And indeed these M-1935 Bedding Rolls aren't easy to find.

Thanks for your input Lewis !

Silvano

Hi Silvano, pleased to help, if only to enlarge the photo for others to take a look at, sorry that we can't 100 % tie this one down as to content.

Cheers Lewis

Hi Silvano, pleased to help, if only to enlarge the photo for others to take a look at, sorry that we can't 100 % tie this one down as to content.

Cheers Lewis

No problem Lewis !

We cannot tie all items down on photo's as it also could be field made or anything like that.

I will just try and get a shelter half and a wool blanket and wrap them up and hope they'll match !

Thanks again Lewis !

Silvano

General Apathy

post-344-1282002486.jpg

No problem Lewis !

We cannot tie all items down on photo's as it also could be field made or anything like that.

I will just try and get a shelter half and a wool blanket and wrap them up and hope they'll match !

Thanks again Lewis !

Silvano

Hi Silvano, here's a shot of our bedrolls and tent roll lashed to the turret of our M-8 in Maastricht September 2009, not the best sort of thing to be carrying if a leg soldier.

Cheers lewis.

post-344-1282002486.jpg

Hi Silvano, here's a shot of our bedrolls and tent roll lashed to the turret of our M-8 in Maastricht September 2009, not the best sort of thing to be carrying if a leg soldier.

Cheers lewis.

Thanks Lewis !

I agree. Now I can definitly say it is not a M-1935 bedding roll. But most likely a Wool Blanket rolled up in a Shelter half !

Nice M8 though and nice photo also.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Lewis !

Silvano

Garandomatic

Man, so the M1935 is kinda rare? I got one in a pile of stuff at an antique show for about $5. Had it, some HBT pants with tons of paint on them, two duffel bags, maybe a canteen, I forget exactly. The bedding roll and a duffel bag are ID'd to the division psychiatrist for the 93rd Division, which made sense as I bought a 93rd Division insignia on the top of the table at the same place at the show.

General Apathy
Man, so the M1935 is kinda rare? I got one in a pile of stuff at an antique show for about $5. Had it, some HBT pants with tons of paint on them, two duffel bags, maybe a canteen, I forget exactly. The bedding roll and a duffel bag are ID'd to the division psychiatrist for the 93rd Division, which made sense as I bought a 93rd Division insignia on the top of the table at the same place at the show.

Hi garandomatic, rare ?? doesnt actually equate to expensive though, to most collectors it's just a large heavy piece of canvas and as such no great value, and can be bought quite cheaply when found.

Exchange rare for ' desired or required ' the 2nd armored group I belong to have twelve M-8, four half-track, four tanks and numerous Jeeps, as an armored unit it is historically correct for our group to require M-35 bed rolls attached to the vehicles, but all the leg soldiers in the tracks use the regular wool sleeping bags.

Just had to come back in with this edit, I have just read another topic on items that the forum member found over the weekend he related that he had got an unissued set of EDRL's. Another member, comment wise was all over the set with comments of ' Great find man ' :drool2: , however the set means nothing to me as I only collect to 1945 so for me it's a five dollar item, but maybe a couple of hundred to someone else. :think:

As they say ' beauty is in the eye of the beholder ' :lol:

Cheers Lewis

Hi garandomatic, rare ?? doesnt actually equate to expensive though, to most collectors it's just a large heavy piece of canvas and as such no great value, and can be bought quite cheaply when found.

Exchange rare for ' desired or required ' the 2nd armored group I belong to have twelve M-8, four half-track, four tanks and numerous Jeeps, as an armored unit it is historically correct for our group to require M-35 bed rolls attached to the vehicles, but all the leg soldiers in the tracks use the regular wool sleeping bags.

Just had to come back in with this edit, I have just read another topic on items that the forum member found over the weekend he related that he had got an unissued set of EDRL's. Another member, comment wise was all over the set with comments of ' Great find man ' :drool2: , however the set means nothing to me as I only collect to 1945 so for me it's a five dollar item, but maybe a couple of hundred to someone else. :think:

As they say ' beauty is in the eye of the beholder ' :lol:

Cheers Lewis

Next time you have one of those "five dollar items" I'd be willing to double your money! :lol:

More on topic to this thread, you make a good point Lewis, my cousin is the same way. If it's US and Korean war till now, it costs me 10 bucks for two uniforms! :w00t:

Garandomatic

I've never collected because of rarity or value. Only thing different about my collection if it were 1965 (when everything was almost free and Lugers only cost $40...) is that there'd be more of it. I'm in it for history, which is why I focus on Navy right now. Stuff's cheap as long as it isn't a pilot's uniform or a submariner's uniform, and more easily identified than Army items because the Navy often stamped full last names in uniforms. For the bedroll, Division Psychiatrist for the 93rd has some history to it, you know? He's actually mentioned in a book on African American soldiers in WWII, but I haven't acquired it yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Lewis,

I thought you might like this photo here.

These GI's are from the 328th Infantry Regiment, 26th Infantry Division on a roadside in Neustadt, Germany. Look on that light tank (I guess it has to be M8 Armored Car...). Is it me or is it real and I see there a M-1935 bedding roll? And behind the light tank is a mortar crew getting ready to fire or already fired.

I thought you might like it !

Silvano

General Apathy
Hey Lewis,

I thought you might like this photo here.

These GI's are from the 328th Infantry Regiment, 26th Infantry Division on a roadside in Neustadt, Germany. Look on that light tank (I guess it has to be M8 Armored Car...). Is it me or is it real and I see there a M-1935 bedding roll? And behind the light tank is a mortar crew getting ready to fire or already fired.

I thought you might like it !

Silvano

Hi Silvano, sure do love it, done quite some miles in the last six years in an M-8 armored car, the M-10 shot is a good one as well.

:lol: :thumbsup:

Thanks Lewis

craig_pickrall

Ken, I should have asked this when you posted the photo of the M8 earlier. Does your group just carry the M35's as decoration on the armored car or do you actually use them on your over nights? If used do you have cots too? What about tents? The M35 looks large for a ground cloth and wouldn't fit in a pup tent very well. I always think of them on cots.

I have one of them that has a mattress from an army cot sewn into it. I also have one with USN markings. One of them I picked up had about 20 packs of GI Ration toilet paper. I guess he didn't want to get caught short in the middle of the night. Probably the best thing I ever found in one was two helmet bands cut from an inner tube. You can read part of the tire size in the rubber. They were new but dried out and would crack very easily.

Hi Silvano, sure do love it, done quite some miles in the last six years in an M-8 armored car, the M-10 shot is a good one as well.

:lol: :thumbsup:

Thanks Lewis

Hi Lewis,

You are lucky to drive in a M-8 Armored Car. One of the nicest US Army Vehicles in my opinion. Although the M-10 and M-16 are not bad either hehe.

If I find any more of these photo's I will just post them in this topic. So can be done by other members. Perhaps a nice topic about M-1935 bedding rolls...? :thumbsup:

Silvano