WWII 101st Airborne Uniform 501st ID'd Lt. H.M. Howard

101STCOLLECTOR

Nice Bando´s tunic.... I think that shillbidding on it...

Your thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-101st-Airborne-Un...009108440821058

If that's a shill bidder, he's not doing a very good job...he's currently the high bidder. Wouldn't make much sense to run the bidding up only to have yourself or a buddy end up being the winner.

Talked to the seller today. Not shill bidding. An overseas buyer is slowly trying to see what the reserve is.

Killer uniform!!

Kurt Barickman

That tunic needs no apologies; it is the real deal and I have heard in the past the somebody in Eerde wants that piece due to its historic significance to the area. It is a killer item and I make that statement from personal experience.

Kurt Barickman

101STCOLLECTOR
That tunic needs no apologies; it is the real deal and I have heard in the past the somebody in Eerde wants that piece due to its historic significance to the area. It is a killer item and I make that statement from personal experience.

Kurt Barickman

yes...One of the best in the last years there outside...

I shot an indecent amount of bucks but the the guy with the feedback alone bidded a lot of times till overbidded me twice....

Nice uniform and I agree historic.But I fail to see the connection of the uniform it self to Eerde.The man was there but not the uniform.M42,M43 or helmet yes but a dress uniform.Guess Im going to sell all my Bulge and Holland items ,my 501st KIA(on the Island) medic jump jacket(no serial numbers but bought from his brother) as well as My FSSF ike as it was on Defensia :whistling:

Im just saying the man was there not the uniform.

RD

Ron,

I gotta disagree with you on this..

Following your logic, the flag raiser tunic of Kurt's, that uniform obviously didn't make it to the top of Suribachi, but it is of historical significance. Sure, we all have cool uniforms or whatever in our collections, but how much of those are truely significant?

Often times, those M42s, or M43's are not around, got used on the farm, or for work, and the last thing the veteran keeps, are the dress uniforms. Until someone shows up with documentable combat uniforms for Howard, this is it.

Nice uniform and I agree historic.But I fail to see the connection of the uniform it self to Eerde.The man was there but not the uniform.M42,M43 or helmet yes but a dress uniform.Guess Im going to sell all my Bulge and Holland items ,my 501st KIA(on the Island) medic jump jacket(no serial numbers but bought from his brother) as well as My FSSF ike as it was on Defensia :whistling:

Im just saying the man was there not the uniform.

RD

I must say that seller is (( Highely recommended to deal with )) He is a real nice guy .

And he has got some really Rare Airborne Items in his collection..

I must say that seller is (( Highely recommended to deal with )) He is a real nice guy .

And he has got some really Rare Airborne Items in his collection..

This uniform is a SCREAMER! If you could only have one ID'd 101st Officer's uniform in your collection, this would be it. If I didn't have others then I would have kept bidding. For the record I have been outbid atleast 12 times. Someone will get a cornerstone to their collection.

So the jacket belonged to Howard and was taken by another officer after a laundry screw up. Assuming the insignia was removed during the cleaning process, the insignia on the coat belonged to the other officer? Then the coat itself is all that belonged to Howard assuming the other officer didn't just add his name?

I guess it would be safe to pay the sum of the parts because that story leaves a bit to be desired.

Ron,

I gotta disagree with you on this..

Following your logic, the flag raiser tunic of Kurt's, that uniform obviously didn't make it to the top of Suribachi, but it is of historical significance. Sure, we all have cool uniforms or whatever in our collections, but how much of those are truely significant?

Often times, those M42s, or M43's are not around, got used on the farm, or for work, and the last thing the veteran keeps, are the dress uniforms. Until someone shows up with documentable combat uniforms for Howard, this is it.

CP

I agree.Im just on the middle of the fence on most items.Both dress and field uniforms are very collectible and historically significant.Items as this and KBs Lindburg raiser uniform are in the top tier for sure.Just meant to say I tend to place different values on them........dress opposed to field uniforms.Even many field items were things they tend to bring home and were issued after the fact.Even in my own family I have heard the stories of the A2s worn for farm work and the hbts worn to threads and tossed.

RD

So the jacket belonged to Howard and was taken by another officer after a laundry screw up. Assuming the insignia was removed during the cleaning process, the insignia on the coat belonged to the other officer? Then the coat itself is all that belonged to Howard assuming the other officer didn't just add his name?

I guess it would be safe to pay the sum of the parts because that story leaves a bit to be desired.

Jim

I also noticed that about the SN.Didnt really read the whole descrition but I saw the number.Most of the things I have seen from officers have the ) prefix too :think: Little things dont bother me like this as I see it in stuff out of the woods too.I am currently looking at a group from a vet and it includes uniform,picture,dog tags,unamed purple heart.He was a POW.The numbers in the ike dont match the tags but I know its out of the wood work and a POW may have gotten a issued ike with other numbers.My %06th group really has a lot of different numbers in it as well.As stated really doesnt bother me but when you go to sell it its another story.

RD

This uniform is a SCREAMER! If you could only have one ID'd 101st Officer's uniform in your collection, this would be it. If I didn't have others then I would have kept bidding. For the record I have been outbid atleast 12 times. Someone will get a cornerstone to their collection.

Yes that is very true it is a great piece of History to own for your Airborne Collection well that makes two of us

Because i do also have an ID'd WWII 501st Uniform so im happy out.

Yes that is very true it is a great piece of History to own for your Airborne Collection well that makes two of us

Because i do also have an ID'd WWII 501st Uniform so im happy out.

1944...well said!

Jim B.

The fact that this may have changed Officer's hands does not change what it is. It it an IDENTIFIED 101st WWII Officer's class A. These don't grow on trees. The second owner (ie. An Officer from the 501st) doesn't detract from what is offered at all!

1944...well said!

Jim B.

The fact that this may have changed Officer's hands does not change what it is. It it an IDENTIFIED 101st WWII Officer's class A. These don't grow on trees. The second owner (ie. An Officer from the 501st) doesn't detract from what is offered at all!

It was just an observation. I realize the excitement of picking up ID'd items.

It was just an observation. I realize the excitement of picking up ID'd items.

I am not sure I would agree with the term "excitement". Perhaps "historical" would be more appropriate. It is was it is. There will always be the "haves" versus the "have nots". Someday, somewhere, sometime, someone will do all the justice that is do to these fine men who were infantry, tankers, pilots, clerks, recruiters, etc. God Bless them all. That is not my role here.

How did that shadow box turn out?

Thanks,

Jake Powers

I am not sure I would agree with the term "excitement". Perhaps "historical" would be more appropriate. It is was it is. There will always be the "haves" versus the "have nots". Someday, somewhere, sometime, someone will do all the justice that is do to these fine men who were infantry, tankers, pilots, clerks, recruiters, etc. God Bless them all. That is not my role here.

How did that shadow box turn out?

Thanks,

Jake Powers

Jake,

I don't really understand what you are saying here. Haves versus have nots?

I think on a personal level, people "feel" excitement when obtaining a new item, not "historical".

I still haven't gotten to the shadow box. Do have some ideas though.

Jake,

I don't really understand what you are saying here. Haves versus have nots?

I think on a personal level, people "feel" excitement when obtaining a new item, not "historical".

I still haven't gotten to the shadow box. Do have some ideas though.

Let me clarify the "haves" vs. "have nots". It comes down to what the uniform "has" and what it "does not have". Take for example this unform that is being discussed. When you do the math, the US put what 16,000,000 people in uniform during WWII. There was somewhere in the neighborhood of only 100,000 "jump qualified" Army Paratroopers during WWII. Of the 100,000 Paratroopers there were maybe 20,000 men who served in the 101st during the war as well. That being said whenever an identified, provenanced example becomes available (especially on Ebay) it is automatically labeled a fake/messed with/fraud etc. It is shameful that it cannot be enjoyed for what it is. As for pricing, US militaria has finally experienced what WWII German memorabilia has always experienced...people want elite units (SS, Fallschirm, etc) and the very limited supply of good items command top dollar and that will not change. Just because someone is willing to pay thousands of dollars for a uniform (even through ebay) doesn't warrant the uniform being degraded on a forum.

Here is a great example...last night I happened to notice an Ike jacket that went off on Ebay for 305.00. It was heavily patched and the decorations included a Silver Star. Guess what, there were somewhere around 100,000 Silver Stars awarded to the Army in WWII (about the same number as Army Paratroopers). Yet this jacket with hand sewn patches and highly decorated ribbon rack was never questioned or discussed here. One would think that this Ike jacket based on the math alone would merit the same discussion. It did not because it was not an elite unit. Here is the picture of the jacket for reference.

post-261-1282148183.jpg

101STCOLLECTOR

Well

Many replys in the thread and diferent themes ....

Does anybody anything to say about Bando´s provenance?

jack

Let me clarify the "haves" vs. "have nots". It comes down to what the uniform "has" and what it "does not have". Take for example this unform that is being discussed. When you do the math, the US put what 16,000,000 people in uniform during WWII. There was somewhere in the neighborhood of only 100,000 "jump qualified" Army Paratroopers during WWII. Of the 100,000 Paratroopers there were maybe 20,000 men who served in the 101st during the war as well. That being said whenever an identified, provenanced example becomes available (especially on Ebay) it is automatically labeled a fake/messed with/fraud etc. It is shameful that it cannot be enjoyed for what it is. As for pricing, US militaria has finally experienced what WWII German memorabilia has always experienced...people want elite units (SS, Fallschirm, etc) and the very limited supply of good items command top dollar and that will not change. Just because someone is willing to pay thousands of dollars for a uniform (even through ebay) doesn't warrant the uniform being degraded on a forum.

Here is a great example...last night I happened to notice an Ike jacket that went off on Ebay for 305.00. It was heavily patched and the decorations included a Silver Star. Guess what, there were somewhere around 100,000 Silver Stars awarded to the Army in WWII (about the same number as Army Paratroopers). Yet this jacket with hand sewn patches and highly decorated ribbon rack was never questioned or discussed here. One would think that this Ike jacket based on the math alone would merit the same discussion. It did not because it was not an elite unit. Here is the picture of the jacket for reference.

You are absolutely correct! The only thing I can really add is that good, original uniforms are drying up. That is a fact. There are pleanty of humped-up examples, but it is getting more and more difficult to find high quality, identified uniforms, with all the bells and whistles (ribbonry, badges, nice insignia). As time goes by, it won't just be the paratroop and FSSF uniforms bringing top dollar.

Kurt Barickman

I personally acquired the Howard tunic from Mark Bando several years ago and sold it to the current seller. As Jake stated, these things are really hard to find and unless you are an airborne collector, you probably wouldn't understand. I feel that the airborne does get alot of attention in collecting. They are an elite unit who have volumes written about them. I do feel that other units don't get the attention that they deserve though. Case in point, somebody was trying to sell an WWII US Army officer tunic in a tanker outfit who won the Silver Star and the seller had it for a couple of hundred bucks if that and I can't remember if it sold or not on our For Sale section. I was talking with a 506 officer several years ago and he made the comment that it was flattering to have all the hoopola about his unit but he mentioned what about one of his golf buddies who was captured in the PI and spent years mining for the Japanese as a prisoner. Also he commented about the US Army and USMC hitting beaches in the Pacific. The officer stated that airborne and amphibious landings are both terrible and costly. I'll quit now.

Kurt Barickman