Wartime Postal Issues

Richard Kimmel

Richard Kimmel

I'm not certain if I had mentioned this before however, when I first began collecting back in 1945, it was the postage stamps that were being issued during the wartime period.

If there is an interest in this topic, please let's try an continue it.

post-10293-1281901047.jpg

post-10293-1281901116.jpg

Richard Kimmel
Here is a WWII postal cover I happened to have at my desk the moment I saw your post!

post-211-1281907324.jpg

Great cover! Wish I had it in my collection.

Here are few WWII First Day Covers I picked up in college many years ago. Not as sexy as the ones posted so far, but still interesting enough to hang onto for 30 years:

post-22-0-33689500-1410892880.jpg

post-22-0-59354100-1410892881.jpg

post-22-0-29939500-1410892884.jpg

post-22-0-02696200-1410892902.jpg

post-22-0-79635500-1410892903.jpg

post-22-0-89784100-1410892905.jpg

Richard Kimmel
One more...

post-211-1281913953.jpg

Great covers! Keep'em coming guys. I have all of the wartime issues in blocks and in full sheets (not the modern ones). This is a great area to collect and it's still relatively inexpensive when compared to other militaria items.

General Apathy

post-344-1281985787.jpg

I'm not certain if I had mentioned this before however, when I first began collecting back in 1945, it was the postage stamps that were being issued during the wartime period.

Hi Richard, I have some envelopes and stamps from WWII, in fact the next five posts are envelopes all addressed to the same person Herman Broomall, Uplands, PA, there's about two hundred of them :think: :lol: too many to display here other than I have done in groups.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1281986377.jpg

Cont.................

These two are hand drawn cartoons by serving members, serving soldiers could send mail ' free ' written in the top right of an envelope where satmps would normally be attached.

Cheers Lewis

post-344-1281986377.jpg

Cont.................

These two are hand drawn cartoons by serving members, serving soldiers could send mail ' free ' written in the top right of an envelope where satmps would normally be attached.

Cheers Lewis

The letter with the Quartermaster image many have originally been hand drawn and later reproduced in bulk as I've seen many of these covers over the years.

General Apathy
The letter with the Quartermaster image many have originally been hand drawn and later reproduced in bulk as I've seen many of these covers over the years.

Hi ehrentitle, thanks for letting me know about the envelopes with the hand drawn quartermaster image. I don't think I had picked up on that as we don't normally see many of these envelopes over in Europe, I think most dealers see them as a home front rather ' military ' item. ;)

Cheers Lewis

Richard Kimmel
Hi ehrentitle, thanks for letting me know about the envelopes with the hand drawn quartermaster image. I don't think I had picked up on that as we don't normally see many of these envelopes over in Europe, I think most dealers see them as a home front rather ' military ' item. ;)

Cheers Lewis

Lewis ... that is truly an impressive collection of covers, especially since they've all been sent to the same individual. :thumbsup:

Richard

General Apathy
Lewis ... that is truly an impressive collection of covers, especially since they've all been sent to the same individual. :thumbsup:

Richard

Hi Richard, thanks for the comment, I took the photos a couple of months back with the intention of starting a topic with them but never got round to it, and then saw that you started one so I added them to yours, Thanks :thumbsup:

We think of most people collecting since WWII when this recipient was collecting during WWII. :lol:

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1282255856.jpg

Hi Richard, my mother's younger sister died in 1948 aged nineteen or twenty, and way before I was born. When I was around nine I was visiting my grandmothers and she was having a clear out at her house and threw out a packed stamp album that belonged to my mother's sister who died. I have kept that album as my mother explained to me that her sister worked in a firms export office from when she left school until she died, and she had kept stamps off envelopes that came into the office from all over the world.

In this and the next post are the two pages of U.S. stamps, I hope they are clear enough to see most of them are between 1940 and 1948 I believe. I know nothing as to value on these U.S. stamps.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1282256025.jpg

Cont.................

This is the second of two pages of U.S. stamps, I hope they are clear enough to see most of them are between 1940 and 1948 I believe. I know nothing as to value on these U.S. stamps.

Cheers Lewis

Here is my favorite WW2 postcard. I live in Tulsa, OK. The picture is V-E Day in Tulsa and look at the postmark...it is V-J Day! The actual day of Japan's surrender.

Paul

post-2319-1282503894.jpg

• 10 years later...

This is an old but good topic that just got cross referenced by another good topic here...

I don't have any individual stamps, but here are a my wartime  covers that I thought I'd share here. Enjoy!

mikie

1472670237_FDCDevers.jpg.7eca150ff5e436afdd0af04e6850f491.jpg352968009_FDCCorrigidor.jpg.a40f52c5fbdd68858c9bfe3a4449d13a.jpg

FDC Win the War.jpg

FDC Simpson.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I"m also an avid cover collector. After reviewing this thread I saw a cover that was similar to one of my own. See below.

454094412_JoeFossSignedCover.jpg.1995fbbfa5e149a94e183ac09cd812e0.jpg

Cheers, Dave