Aero Club of America wing badge -&- Aviation Medal of Merit to LTC Arthur Read Christie

CliffP

Cliff, I hope I'm not stepping on your thread, but I thought this might be a good place to share a couple of 'AERO CLUB OF AMERICA' items I have which were included in a larger WWI grouping...and maybe get some feedback.

Here's a Aero Club of America membership card for Lt. Ralph P. Nienhauser. Lt. Nienhauser was assigned Aero Club Aviator Certificate #2889. He attended the School of Military Aeronautics, University of California, at Berkeley from February 18, 1918 to May 7, 1918. According to his log, he attended flight training at Rockwell Field and March Field, California. The Aero Club membership card has an embossed circular logo which appears to have a thin gold-leaf type of material applied. Is this a standard issue membership card?

Russ

Hi Russ,

By all means join the party, glad to have you. BTW, if you don't already have a copy, there is a highly recommended hardcover book available on the history of the Aero Club of America. Title is: FOR THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT, by Bill Robie, published by Smithsonian Institution Press, 1993. There is information in it you will never find anywhere else. Again, highly recommended... and I've saved the best for last, you can probably pick up a copy via AbeBooks.com somewhere between $1.00 and $5.00 plus shipping.

Cheers,

Cliff

;)

Hello Cliff,

Thank you for the lead on Bill Robin's book, "The Greatest Achievement". As you suggested, I ordered a used copy through www.abebooks.com for only $3.80 and that included postage. There were seven more copies available for about the same price, if other collectors are interested.

Russ