Aero Club of America wing badge -&- Aviation Medal of Merit to LTC Arthur Read Christie

CliffP

Aero Club of America wing badge -&- Aviation Medal of Merit

Presented to LTC Arthur Read Christie, USA

Started training at Signal Corps Aviation School, San Diego, California, 2 December 1914; Rated Junior Military Aviator (J.M.A.) June 1915; Aero Club of America Aviator Certificate #323 and Expert Aviator Certificate #40. He was an original member of the 1st Aero Squadron. Rated Military Aviator (MA) June 1918.

The wing badge was issued by the Aero Club of America between 1914 and 1918. It was patterned in part after the 1913 style Royal Flying Corps wing badge.

post-4542-1281839070.jpg

Wow...another amazing treasure, cliff. Looks like that new camera is working fine. Well done.

Do you have a picture of that Royal Flying Corps badge?

Paul

Do you have a picture of that Royal Flying Corps badge?

Paul

Paul,

Here is an example of a RFC 1913 style badge that the Aero Club of America wing badge was patterned after.

Cliff

post-4542-1281844298.jpg

Cliff, I probably wrong, and away from my research material for the next few days, but I believe that Christie finished with the 99th Aero Squadron. He had a nervous breakdown at the end. I have a studio photo signed by him as well, if my memory serves me correctly.

Wonderful Medal and wing.

Dennis

Wow! Just when I thought this section of the Forum was suffering its annual summer-time lull in quality postings, along comes Cliff with this incredible early Aero Club pilot grouping! Thanks for sharing images of these rarities.

I've had only one opportunity over the years to handle and examine a similar issued wing badge. I've never seen the "Aviation Medal of Merit" before this illustration. Cliff, can you tell me, what event or accomplishment does the medal represent? Were the medals numbered or inscribed with the recipients name on the back? Were the wing badges only worn on civilian attire? Or could they be displayed on their Army tunics?

Russ

Cliff, I probably wrong, and away from my research material for the next few days, but I believe that Christie finished with the 99th Aero Squadron. He had a nervous breakdown at the end. I have a studio photo signed by him as well, if my memory serves me correctly.

Wonderful Medal and wing.

Dennis

Dennis,

Any chance of seeing that studio photo? I would really like to see it.

Here is all the information I have been able to find on Lt/Colonel Christie:

Born, East Orange, NJ, 26 July 1890. Parents: Arthur Wells and Elizabeth Ellen (Read) Christie. Education: Attended Columbia Grammar School; East Orange High School; New York Preparatory School; College of William and Mary, 1909-1911; New York University Law School, 1911-1912. Married G. de Beaume on 24 January 1920; married Gesina Hendrica Schrandi of Holland, 17 March 1932.

Enlisted in 1913; as 2nd Lieutenant Regular Army started training at Signal Corps Aviation School, San Diego, California, 2 December 1914; Passed J.M.A. test in June 1915. He was an original member of the 1st Aero Squadron and served with the unit at Fort Sill, Oklahoma; Brownsville, Texas; San Antonio, Texas; and the Punitive Expedition to Mexico. In August 1916, ordered to Chicago, Illinois to assist in the organization of an aviation school for reserve officers.

He was C.O. Signal Corps Aviation School, Memphis, Tennessee in 1917; also first C. O. of Wilbur Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio in 1917.

Sent to France, he was appointed C.O. 2nd Aviation Instruction Center, Tours, France; assumed command of the 99th Aero Squadron on 30 March 1918; on 27 July 1918 made C.O. of the 5th Army Corps Observation Group; later Chief of Air Service, 5th Army Corps A.E.F.

In June 1919 he was appointed a member of the Joint Army and Navy Board on Aeronautics, and Liaison Officer with the Naval Air Service. In August 1920, C.O. Mitchell Field; in May 1921, assistant Air Attaché, U.S. Embassy, Tokyo, Japan.

He resigned from the Air Service on 15 December 1922 and worked for Elwell, Bliss & Yarnaell, 1923-1925; Columbia Industrial Corp., 1925-1926; Bankers Trust Company, NY, 1926-1938; United Aircraft Corp., 1939-1943; Pratt & Whitney Aircraft division, United Aircraft Corp. 1943-1958. Consultant, Thompson Products, Inc., Washington, DC 1958-1959; Manager, Washington, DC office The Martin Company, 1 October 1959-??

He died in December 1964 in Barnstable, Massachussetts.

Cliff, can you tell me, what event or accomplishment does the medal represent? Were the medals numbered or inscribed with the recipients name on the back? Were the wing badges only worn on civilian attire? Or could they be displayed on their Army tunics?

Russ

Russ,

I have a 1919 edition of the Aero Club of America annual in which it lists all recipients of the Medal of Merit from 1913 through 1918. Colonel Christie received his medal after 1918 and I do no know the exact date or why he received it. Fortunately, I do have local access to all editions of Aerial Age Weekly magazine which was published by the Aero Club of America and in time should be able to find an article that will explain why and when he was awarded the medal.

The medals were not number or *inscribed with the recipients name on the back. The wing badges were a civilian award; therefore, they could not be worn on a recipients military service tunic.

* Special Note: The Aero Club of America Medal of Merit should not be confused with the Aero Club of America Medal of Honor and Merit awarded in recognition of valor and distinguished service during World War 1. The name of the recipient was stamped on that medal.

post-4542-1281906910.jpg

Cliff,

I'll post his studio photo within a couple of days. I also have him in a photo as C.O. of the 99th - Great find - I'll make you some copies if you want.

DJ

Cliff,

I'll post his studio photo within a couple of days. I also have him in a photo as C.O. of the 99th - Great find - I'll make you some copies if you want.

DJ

Dennis,

You bet, I'll take you up on those copies and thank you for the offer!! :-)

Below are three photos taken in 1916 while he was serving with the 1st Aero Squadron in Mexico.

post-4542-1281930787.jpg

post-4542-1281930977.jpg

This is Colonel Christie's bullion embroidery, French made, 1918 type *Military Aviator badge with a star above the shield.

* An officer had to have 3 years flying experience in order to wear it; however, via an act of Congress in the latter half of 1918, a few WW1 pilots with combat experience were also permitted to wear one.

post-4542-1281980282.jpg

Cliff,

CORRECTION - Arthur Christie did not have a nervous breakdown as I previously stated. It Was Vincent Haywood (also of the 99th). It is his studio photo that I have. I do however have a great 99th Aero Christie shot and some specific data on Christie. PM me your address and I'll get some stuff off to you. Nice items per your usual.

Dennis

Cliff, I hope I'm not stepping on your thread, but I thought this might be a good place to share a couple of 'AERO CLUB OF AMERICA' items I have which were included in a larger WWI grouping...and maybe get some feedback.

Here's a Aero Club of America membership card for Lt. Ralph P. Nienhauser. Lt. Nienhauser was assigned Aero Club Aviator Certificate #2889. He attended the School of Military Aeronautics, University of California, at Berkeley from February 18, 1918 to May 7, 1918. According to his log, he attended flight training at Rockwell Field and March Field, California. The Aero Club membership card has an embossed circular logo which appears to have a thin gold-leaf type of material applied. Is this a standard issue membership card?

Russ

IMG_1476_crop.jpg