1907 Dated 118th Coast Arty Uniform and Cap

CNY Militaria

Bought this at an auction a few weeks back. A NEAR MINT example of a 1907 dated, fold down collar uniform coat and cap belonging to the same individual from the 118th Coast Artillery. His rank is 1st Class Gunner. This is my oldest uniform. Since 2007 is upon us, it will be 100 years old!

ebay1_163.jpg

ebay1_164.jpg

Justin, m1902s truly don't come much nicer than that. It is so difficult to find these even half as complete as yours. The use of a double disk on each collar "fold" is very interesting too. It might be neat to note that the use of two pairs of disks didn't occur until 1910 and by 1912 the army went to the single disk (Emerson's Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms ). This definitely gives you a small window of "time worn". A nice find...I am envious!

Ken

CNY Militaria

Indeed a great find! I paid tooth and nail for it too, but in the end I still made outlike a bandit! I have been searching all over the internet for smething similar, and it seems that no one wants to sell these! Thanks for the comments!

What pains me is that I don't collect Coast Arty items, yet its all I ever find! For once I would like to find something I actually collect around here, think.gif .

Justin

Indeed a great find! I paid tooth and nail for it too, but in the end I still made outlike a bandit! I have been searching all over the internet for smething similar, and it seems that no one wants to sell these! Thanks for the comments!

What pains me is that I don't collect Coast Arty items, yet its all I ever find! For once I would like to find something I actually collect around here, think.gif .

Justin

Well gee whiz, if you're looking to get rid of it??? naughty.gif

Seriously, this is a killer uniform. Excellent condition too. I like it lots!! thumbsup.gif Thanks for posting it.

CNY Militaria

This is one of those "you will never see it again" items, so I am afraid I must keep it. I am glad its so wll liked though!

Justin

It is a very nice uniform. It is too bad that it is from a time period that not many people collect. Do to that reason regardless of rarity, I do not believe it will appreciate in value very fast. I am a firm believer of the collect what you like principle. This way if you like it, it doesn't matter what it is worth. If you are buying for investment purposes it is better to stay with the popular wars as they tend to appreciate at a faster rate.

• 2 months later...
CNY Militaria

I really wasn't concerned with value, even though I bought it for under its resale value anyways... I just knew this was something I needed to add to my uniform collection. Its my earliest one so far.

• 8 years later...
RustyCanteen

I know this is practically ancient history (this thread is nearly as old as the forum!), but I just ran across it while searching the forum. That is one nice uniform! It also goes to show how much things have changed in the past 8 years since this was posted; while there may not have been a lot of interest in the Pre-WWI period then; there certainly is now. A rare set!

RC

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...