The Smell

m1ashooter

I had forgotten about "that smell" until I got the Handie Talkie phone I just picked up from a local estate. I used to love it, but honestly I'm not a big fan anymore. Maybe if it was a nice fresh smell on my Jeep in the garage, that's one thing...but inside the house, no thanks.

As for mothballs, my skin breaks out and eyes swell...so no, I don't love it at all...

\

Dave,

It sounds to me like it is time for you to turn in your militaria collectors' membership card. :crying:

Allan

\

Dave,

It sounds to me like it is time for you to turn in your militaria collectors' membership card. :crying:

Allan

NO!!!!! Not that!! :o

:lol:

\

Dave,

Allan

Nah...easy solution...I don't by canvas stuff and I get everything else drycleaned! :lol:

Sgt Saunders

You guys can keep the old canvas smell.

I'm a connoisseur of the scent of old saddles and horse sweat.

It's an acquired aroma. Not for the faint of nazel passage ways. :blink:

Is it true that 'the smell' is the anti-molding agent that was applied to canvas and such...I recall a seasoned old vet telling me this a while back.

theguiltyone

My cat goes nuts for "the smell", she attacks the Nam gear whenever shes allowed into the room, i reckon it brings out the VC in her :P

marc

• 7 years later...

Lot of it is M.R.T., army surplus smell. Shop smells of it untill a WWI footlocker gets opened then its mothballs and M.R.T. and some Hoppes bore cleaner and LCP after shooting. Wife wont stay in there very long, friends in the hobby love it, they tell their friends," you gotta go see it".LOL

Posted Image

I have been to this venue for punk bands downtown Los Angeles named because it really does smell.

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I'm sure "The Smell" is ADDING years to our lives!!! :)

I read somewhere that old canvas webgear was treated with some chemical that causes cancer, doesn't everything!

The smell is one of the better parts of the hobby in my opinion. It helps also when identifing something thats real opposed to reproduction.

Hunt

This thread is all about the smell, but what about the feel. That greasy worn feeling of old field gear. That may be for a hole other thread...

I love it when the old vets come in to our tent and the "smell" takes em back to their younger days...most smile, nod and say yeah just like the one I stayed in...

Hell I have had Desert Storm vets tell me the same thing...I dig it...

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing better than walking into a antique or junk shop that looks like it has nothing and picking up that small. Then it's time to fallow your nose haha. When my wife still went junk hunting with me and she noticed me sniffing around and looking around frantically I always heard the same thing. ( Oh God he smells something green, we are going to be here a while)

Ah yes, had a brand new Lieutenant and took him to the motor pool where the guys were doing inventory of all the platoon equipment. We stepped into the conex where we had cammo nets, tarps, fuel and water cans, some wooden crates, etc. You get the idea. "what's that smell?", he asks, "That's the Army" I told him, "and from now on you will always remember that".

Joe

That "Smell" is the closest thing to time travel I know of (maybe good music too). I wish someone would make a candle with "The Smell". I'd love to light that thing up to counter some of the Foo Foo garbage scent candles women light up.