VIETNAM ERA SIGNAL FLARES FOR SURVIVAL KIT??

dale

JUST A FEW QUESTIONS..WAS THIS IN A PILOTS SURVIVAL KIT (RED TUBES ARE DATED 1967)SO I KNOW IT IS VIETNAM ERA...I ASSUME THEY ARE LEGAL TO OWN...AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW VALUE....5 UNSPENT 1 TO LEFT OF GUN IS USED

post-4645-1281575240.jpg

JUST A FEW QUESTIONS..WAS THIS IN A PILOTS SURVIVAL KIT (RED TUBES ARE DATED 1967)SO I KNOW IT IS VIETNAM ERA...I ASSUME THEY ARE LEGAL TO OWN...AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW VALUE....5 UNSPENT 1 TO LEFT OF GUN IS USED

Yes, these pen flare projectors were and are used in aircrew survival kits. They are also supposed to be regulated by the ATF and covered under the National Firearms Act: Any Other Weapons: Pen Guns. I would check firearms regulations both with the ATF and your state before I go showing that thing around too much.

I’m no expert, but are you sure, wouldn’t it be the same as a regular flair guns not being considered a firearm or destructive device?

Or like these?

http://truflareusa.com/productcatalog.htm

Of course common sense isn’t the trademark of the ATF.

as far as they're concerned 2+2=7.

You could be right about that. My information is based on several individuals who worked in the "firearms field" and supposedly had some professional knowedge of the law. The reason being that the DoD pen flares were sized to accept pistol caliber ammo, hence the restriction. But then again, this stuff changes almost hourly and is never logical, so who knows?

dale..go to any wal-mart,K-mart,cabelas ,bass pro shop or boating "marine" stores and go to where you find the boating safety stuff,you WILL find flare pistols of large calibers and or smaller calibers that any adult can buy...i go to the boat shops and get the "Orion pocket rockets" which are very similar to the U.S. Military sets(ie..you have pen launcher and small flares which screw on to the launcher) and use them in my PSK...the question i have for you is why anybody would want to fire up a vietnam vintage set of flares...and as old as they are they may not even ignite....vince g. 11B inf...

dale..go to any wal-mart,K-mart,cabelas ,bass pro shop or boating "marine" stores and go to where you find the boating safety stuff,you WILL find flare pistols of large calibers and or smaller calibers that any adult can buy...i go to the boat shops and get the "Orion pocket rockets" which are very similar to the U.S. Military sets(ie..you have pen launcher and small flares which screw on to the launcher) and use them in my PSK...the question i have for you is why anybody would want to fire up a vietnam vintage set of flares...and as old as they are they may not even ignite....vince g. 11B inf...

the guy i got it from fired one a few months before i got it from him..i can tell you that it did work and it was bright :) thanks for info...i figured they were legal,but wanted to make sure....any idea of value??i like to have an idea of value of what i own and also it helps me if i find another thanks for everyones input also