M69 Flak Vest

Lt.

I have an M69 flak vest which I cannot find the date of. Also, does anyone know the value of these? If anyone likes me to, I will post some pictures. Thanks.

please post some photos, it's much easier to discuss an item with photos

the typical prices on M69 vests is around $50 - $75 the larger sizes seem to sell for more than x small or smalls

also condition, if it's in nice condition it's worth more than a worn one with rips and stains

Sorry, my camera will not upload to my computer right now, I will try again later. The vest is a small. There are no puncture holes, but part of the armor on the right side is bent. To the left of the size there is a faded number followed by a five. Would that be the date?

Sorry, my camera will not upload to my computer right now, I will try again later. The vest is a small. There are no puncture holes, but part of the armor on the right side is bent. To the left of the size there is a faded number followed by a five. Would that be the date?

the size tag inside should look this, notice the DSA number below?

DSA 100 69 - C 1784

the number 69 is the contract date for 1969 manufacture

does yours have those numbers?

post-1885-1281559610.jpg

Mine has different numbers, and the writing is in black on top of green which is connected to a larger section which says that the vest may save your life and it gives instructions. Here is what the part that resembles yours reads:

Size SMALL

8470-122-1299 (Faded Number)5

BODY ARMOR, FRAGMENTATION PROTECTIVE,

VEST WITH 3/4 COLLAR, M-69

TRENTON TEXTILE ENG & MFG. CO., INC.

does it have a heavy duty aluminum zipper on the front with button snaps ? or does it close by VELCRO

if it has velcro instead of a zipper those are the later model manufactured vests from the 70's

If its marked M69 its going to be velcro. When the switch to velcro was made in 1969, "M69" was added to the nomenclature. Before that, when the vests had zippers, they were just "3/4 Collar".

edit: spelling

There is no zipper, it just velcros. When were these phased out?

Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops (PASGT)

The PASGT (Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops) Vest and PASGT Helmet were introduced in the early 1980s, both made with Kevlar. The formal name of the vest is "Body Armor, Fragmentation Protection Vest, Ground Troops" but it was usually called the "PASGT Vest" or just the "flak vest" or "flak jacket". It was part of the PASGT system that included the Kevlar helmet and other components.

sometime during the mid 1980's when they were replaced by the new PASGT vests

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear...armor_pasgt.php

If the M-69 was added to the nomenclature after a switch to all velcro in 1969, when did they adopt the "3/4 collar"?

"3/4 Collar" vests were first made in 1966. They were basicly the same as the M1952s but had a collar. Earliest "3/4 Collar" vests even had epaulets like the M1952s. But the epaulets were very quickly dropped on the 3/4 collar vests. Looks to of been dropped after just months since the first no-epaulets 3/4 collar vests are from 1966 too. 3/4 collar vests also appear to of first got to Vietnam as early as late 1966.