Multicam again

korea drab

FWIW...and I am far from an expert on anything such as the minutae of details when it comes to collecting (I usually just "collect" by purchasing things that visually appeal to me, and mainly WWII items), but I do have something to add.

I was in a unit that was issued one single set of some MC pattern items that could have been the experimental/trial version. I was under the impression that they were sent to us in a hurry to fulfill a perceived need, and not that they were part of any sort of test, and they were indeed around only for a short time. Unfortunately I never thought they would be collectible and don't remember every single detail, but from the images I see here, I can tell you some differences.

About the "blousing strings", ours were certainly khaki-colored and not black, I remember well because at the time we were transitioning from black boots to tan and the strings stuck out like a sore thumb if left hanging over black boots.

The thigh pockets were themselves "wedge-shaped", slanting from the rear downward toward the front, not squared-off at the bottom like in these photos. I believe the tops had black drawstrings (do the tops of the thigh pockets of the pants shown here have strings?) with black plastic "keepers" on them, but I may be confusing that with a later uniform. Like I said, I am not a hardcore collector nor an expert like many of you folks seem to be, so unfortunately I do not recall every detail. From what I remember, someone did say the pocket design was going to be redone with a squared-off bottom, due to people loading the pockets with heavy and/or pointed objects, causing the v-shaped bottom of the pocket to rip open easily. I can see if someone remembers if there was a transitional version with different pockets. Also, the velcro for the thigh pockets was sewn a bit too far in from the edges (difficult to explain, wish I had the artistic skills to show you all!) for my liking, causing the ends of the pocket flaps to inevitably bow outward after wearing the pants for a short while. The photos on this thread seem to show the velcro sewn in a much more preferable position, closer to the edges of the pocket flap.

Finally, the side calf pockets (for lack of a better term) certainly had larger top flaps than the ones in the photo. Proportionally speaking, I would say the top flap covered about 1/4 of the length of the pocket, or perhaps roughly double the size shown in these photos.

I've seen these being worn twice around Ft Lewis within the past year. Once was the crew of a Stryker out on I-5, the TC and the driver were both wearing them (and the patches weren't grey like ACU ones, either), and a "dismount" I spotted leaving a convenience store with full insignia and wearing a beret outside the gates of the post (I was a passenger in a company car, otherwise, I'd have pulled in and asked what appeared to be a SPC wearing them).

So, I know for sure they're out there in CONUS, but in what numbers, I have no idea.

the pants are experimental Scorpian print rather than Multicam as it later evolved into. The Scorpian print was a very limited run , like the urban tracks and woodland in CCU, the tri-desert was the most printed/made.

The print looks like scorpian without a doubt and i can almost say for sure that has not been replicated.

As for the cloth, these were being made when the Army still were using NYCO twill BDU's so print wouldn't be out of place on them. Don't forget people ACU was even printed on POPLIN non ripstop !! I have a set to prove it.

** the tags are Natick issue tags ** that would explain the single tag, mass production of this and other CCU's/CU's were done by American Powers like nearly all other contract experimentals runs in recent years.

Misanthropic_Gods
the pants are experimental Scorpian print rather than Multicam as it later evolved into. The Scorpian print was a very limited run , like the urban tracks and woodland in CCU, the tri-desert was the most printed/made.

The print looks like scorpian without a doubt and i can almost say for sure that has not been replicated.

As for the cloth, these were being made when the Army still were using NYCO twill BDU's so print wouldn't be out of place on them. Don't forget people ACU was even printed on POPLIN non ripstop !! I have a set to prove it.

** the tags are Natick issue tags ** that would explain the single tag, mass production of this and other CCU's/CU's were done by American Powers like nearly all other contract experimentals runs in recent years.

Glad I was on the money with my first instinct!

So you are saying they could be legit? :w00t: Lets hope they are!

Here a comparison of both fabric printings.The one on the left is the topic starter shirt.You see diferences as you well pointed out.

I kept the same sizes of course!

post-1820-1283875431.jpg

One of the biggest problem for future collectors is going to be "what is real." There are so many private purchase items being used in the military now the line is blurring. I know of one officer who was posted overseas in a non combat area on TDY with a different nation who brought over his own Multicam to wear as no one would know to tell him to take it off, and he figured everything would go that way eventually so people should get used to seeing it.

As to tags- the problem here is that it is idiot cheap to make those tags these days, and as people know a recent item may be collectible, they can crank out tags with proper nomenclature and stick them on anything. I kow guys that will make you anything you want in any pattern. You want a whole FLC rig in muticam? no problem. Add on a fake label and there you go. (although the handmade items are still pretty expensive due to labor, but if made overseas....).

So there's going to be a whole lot of multicam fromt his time period that will be in the shady "real or not really real"

The small, New York-based design firm of Crye Associates was formed in 2000 and in 2001 won a contract to participate in the U.S. Army’s project ‘Scorpion’, which was the first phase of FCS (Future Combat Systems) program. Crye’s involvement in the project included a complete redesign/overhaul of the uniform and equipment worn by the combat soldier. One of the many innovative ideas/items that stemmed from that project is a new camouflage pattern. Unofficially referred to as the ‘Scorpion pattern’ until now (as it was born out of the Scorpion project), Crye is now producing it as ‘MultiCam’. Newly established Crye Precision is the manufacturing/production side of design-oriented Crye Associates, and has introduced the pattern, as well as apparel and equipment made in MultiCam. Fabrics in 1000d and 500d Cordura and 2 weights of 50/50 NYCO twill are now available.

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye1.html

The small, New York-based design firm of Crye Associates was formed in 2000 and in 2001 won a contract to participate in the U.S. Army’s project ‘Scorpion’, which was the first phase of FCS (Future Combat Systems) program. Crye’s involvement in the project included a complete redesign/overhaul of the uniform and equipment worn by the combat soldier. One of the many innovative ideas/items that stemmed from that project is a new camouflage pattern. Unofficially referred to as the ‘Scorpion pattern’ until now (as it was born out of the Scorpion project), Crye is now producing it as ‘MultiCam’. Newly established Crye Precision is the manufacturing/production side of design-oriented Crye Associates, and has introduced the pattern, as well as apparel and equipment made in MultiCam. Fabrics in 1000d and 500d Cordura and 2 weights of 50/50 NYCO twill are now available.

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye1.html

Scorpion pattern was same but colour was different. More darker and grey.

020523-D-9880W-068.jpg