ww2 night vision

JPMMILITARY

Yes, actually we did. The "sniperscope" type active infrared systems were developed during WWII. The T-120 scope was mounted on a modified M1 carbine, the T-3. This system was used on Okinawa in 1945.

The T-120 scope is not a hand held device my friend, what Hawkdriver is saying is that there was no IR device the size of what is being asked about on this thread in the 40's, take a look at the other thread that was posted on this one in regards to a Naval hand held device and you will see how small a handheld device of that time frame is. ;)

Hi Brian, Thanks for the comment on the photo, that's the cool thing about the forum, what we all have that we can show one another or share in a thread such as this. :thumbsup:

Not certain that the carbine would have actually been fired like that , it could well have been one of those things were the photographer said mmmhh if you have the stock pressed into the shoulder it makes the shot way too wide.

I know that when I have had photographs taken for newspapers the photographer asks you to hold the item your looking at three inches from your face, so the photo is compact enough for the page.

Cheers Lewis

Lewis,

Great photo, thanks for posting that. The soldier is just using the viewer rather than aiming the weapon. Awkward, but I suppose another way to use the system.

The T-120 scope is not a hand held device my friend, what Hawkdriver is saying is that there was no IR device the size of what is being asked about on this thread in the 40's, take a look at the other thread that was posted on this one in regards to a Naval hand held device and you will see how small a handheld device of that time frame is. ;)

Not to pick on Hawkdriver, but what he actually posted was "...we used that technology after the war to produce our own IR known as "Sniper scopes" or the IR systems you commonly find on M1 Carbines, so definitely not WWII." That is what I replying to.

As far as the "sniperscope" being hand-held: the T-120 "sniperscope" system was developed in 1943. An improved version was standardized in 1944 as the M1, then improved again in 1945 as the M2. The one we are all more familiar with, the M3 scope, was a post-WWII version. The M1/M2/M3 can be configured with the hand grip attached to the scope itself for use without the carbine as a hand-held system. Yes, you still have to lug the power supply in it's backpack, but the system is otherwise hand-held, not weapon mounted, in this configuration.

Not to pick on Hawkdriver, but what he actually posted was "...we used that technology after the war to produce our own IR known as "Sniper scopes" or the IR systems you commonly find on M1 Carbines, so definitely not WWII." That is what I replying to.

As far as the "sniperscope" being hand-held: the T-120 "sniperscope" system was developed in 1943. An improved version was standardized in 1944 as the M1, then improved again in 1945 as the M2. The one we are all more familiar with, the M3 scope, was a post-WWII version. The M1/M2/M3 can be configured with the hand grip attached to the scope itself for use without the carbine as a hand-held system. Yes, you still have to lug the power supply in it's backpack, but the system is otherwise hand-held, not weapon mounted, in this configuration.

Don't worry about picking on me, I have thick skin and this is about getting the correct information out there, so we are all learning. I do aquiece and stand corrected on the Sniperscope, as my information did not show that this was ever used in any status other than test during WWII.

But with that said, my original statement was meant for the hand held devices and while you can call the Sniperscope hand held, it is not. When it can be classified as a crew served NV with a 20,000 volt power supply, that isn't handheld. The original post that we have horribly drifted away form asked if the hand held binoculars were WWII, they are not. It wasn't until well after WWII that power supplies and the power demand allowed for simple replaceable batteries, which make it self contained and "hand held"

I will still stand behind the information that the German Vampir system was utilized to either originally build or upgrade our Sniperscope to a more functional system. It is erie how much the German system looks like our system, when our system was only used in the Pacific. Considering that the Germans were testing this stuff in 1939, one could reasonably guess that we captured a German system and then reverse engineered it into our own "Sniperscope".

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/german-infrar...cheinwerfer.htm

Don't worry about picking on me, I have thick skin and this is about getting the correct information out there, so we are all learning. I do aquiece and stand corrected on the Sniperscope, as my information did not show that this was ever used in any status other than test during WWII.

But with that said, my original statement was meant for the hand held devices and while you can call the Sniperscope hand held, it is not. When it can be classified as a crew served NV with a 20,000 volt power supply, that isn't handheld. The original post that we have horribly drifted away form asked if the hand held binoculars were WWII, they are not. It wasn't until well after WWII that power supplies and the power demand allowed for simple replaceable batteries, which make it self contained and "hand held"

I will still stand behind the information that the German Vampir system was utilized to either originally build or upgrade our Sniperscope to a more functional system. It is erie how much the German system looks like our system, when our system was only used in the Pacific. Considering that the Germans were testing this stuff in 1939, one could reasonably guess that we captured a German system and then reverse engineered it into our own "Sniperscope".

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/german-infrar...cheinwerfer.htm

Then I will like-wise concede that you are correct: the small self-contained units like those originally posted did not exist until after WWII, at least not in any useful capacity. I'd have to do a bit more research to determine the answer to your chicken-or-egg theory on who developed it first, however, so I'll let that one go for now. Thanks.