ww2 night vision

JPMMILITARY

can anyone help me, i have purchased a large grouping of ww2 night vision items and know nothing about them, where can i find out how they are set up , an exploded veiw, parts list, value, replacement bulbs, thank you

can anyone help me, i have purchased a large grouping of ww2 night vision items and know nothing about them, where can i find out how they are set up , an exploded veiw, parts list, value, replacement bulbs, thank you

WW2 night vision? I thought the Germans were the only ones to have that technology late in the war?

WW2 night vision? I thought the Germans were the only ones to have that technology late in the war?
i am told that we did as well, but am not sure , the info i do have is that the us corps of enginers u.s. army some are made by american optical co, but described as infered optics, contract number da-44-0090enh-2881.......can anyone help

Hard to do with that bit of limited info and no pictures. You at least need to post a few pictures I think.

post-9562-1281480488.jpg

The DA numbers tell that it's not WW2.WW2 material will have a stock number,this was repaced in I believe 1952 with the DA numberinging system until 1962 when that was replaced by the DSA numbering system.

hope this helps, thank you

I am sure it will get you result's. I myself have never seen NVD's like that from WW2 but I am far from an expert. :thumbsup:

Still a pretty neat lot, that is for sure.

It's not WWII, maybe late 50's early 60's. Looks like Metascope stuff, but so many pieces and so late at night, can't get the eyes to focus right. I'm laying money that it's early late 50s.

It's not WWII, maybe late 50's early 60's. Looks like Metascope stuff, but so many pieces and so late at night, can't get the eyes to focus right. I'm laying money that it's early late 50s.

you think the starting DA 44 contract numberr is the date part?

No, we didn't have this kind of hand held technology during WWII, it wasn't until around the Korean War that we started coming up with IR technology that was mass produced. During WWII, the night vision as we know it was large naval systems that required very large IR searchlights, nothing hand held. The Germans had a system called the Vampyren or something like that and we used that technology after the war to produce our own IR known as "Sniper scopes" or the IR systems you commonly find on M1 Carbines, so definitely not WWII.

JPMMILITARY

If you had done a search of this forum, you could have found a thread on a particular Navy item which might be among your stuff. See:

Naval Night Vision Device

Also another thread suggested another person asking about these to do a google search under infrared gogles. According to them, "there are some forums that speak night vision only."

Hope you find your stuff...

Luis Ramos

"DA" stands for the Department of the Army, which was established on 18 September 1947. Anything with a DA contract prefix post-dates 1947, so the "44" is not 1944.

That "DA 44 009 ENG 2981" contract is for the U. S. Army Engineer Research & Development Command.

The "DA" does not stand for Department of the Army, but rather for "Defense Agency" and the DA prefix was used from 1953 to 1961.

We have some info on various contract numbering schemes at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=19426

No, we didn't have this kind of hand held technology during WWII, it wasn't until around the Korean War that we started coming up with IR technology that was mass produced. During WWII, the night vision as we know it was large naval systems that required very large IR searchlights, nothing hand held. The Germans had a system called the Vampyren or something like that and we used that technology after the war to produce our own IR known as "Sniper scopes" or the IR systems you commonly find on M1 Carbines, so definitely not WWII.

Yes, actually we did. The "sniperscope" type active infrared systems were developed during WWII. The T-120 scope was mounted on a modified M1 carbine, the T-3. This system was used on Okinawa in 1945.

The "DA" does not stand for Department of the Army, but rather for "Defense Agency" and the DA prefix was used from 1953 to 1961.

We have some info on various contract numbering schemes at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=19426

Do you have documentation that supports that? Something other than another post on this forum.

General Apathy

post-344-1281548162.jpg

Yes, actually we did. The "sniperscope" type active infrared systems were developed during WWII. The T-120 scope was mounted on a modified M1 carbine, the T-3. This system was used on Okinawa in 1945.

Hi B229, here is a photograph of the system that you are describing above, there has actually been a topic thread on the forum here about this system, I believe one of the members had acquired one of these some time ago and wanted to know more about it.

The actual image above is one from my collection and measures about 15 - 18 inches in length.

Cheers Lewis

Misanthropic_Gods
post-344-1281548162.jpg

Hi B229, here is a photograph of the system that you are describing above, there has actually been a topic thread on the forum here about this system, I believe one of the members had acquired one of these some time ago and wanted to know more about it.

The actual image above is one from my collection and measures about 15 - 18 inches in length.

Cheers Lewis

Wow, I had never even heard of this before. Thats quite impressive

General Apathy
Wow, I had never even heard of this before. Thats quite impressive

Hi Misanthropic, I was once very shocked to be watching a wartime film made sometime pre 1944 in England. It involved a detective something along the lines of Sherlock Holmes but I can't remember the title or lead actor. In one scene there is a mention by the detective of the latest ' invisible ' infra-red beams being used as part of a security system in an expensive mansion, it almost sounds like science fiction for the 1940's.

This mention of infra-red beams amazed me until I later learnt of the infra-red sniper system in my previous post,

it's often been quoted that whatever we are using today is out of date technology as scientists are continually working on the next thing to replace it. Think DVD player, Blue-ray and what replacement are they working on as we read this.

Cheers Lewis

Brian Dentino

That is one cool picture and caption Lewis...thanks for posting that! :thumbsup:

One concern I would have firing this weapon would be that you would have nothing at all except your hand on the foregrip and your face (eye cone on the optics) to stop the recoil on this....even if it is on a carbine. Sounds like a receipe for a black eye to me! :dunno:

General Apathy
That is one cool picture and caption Lewis...thanks for posting that! :thumbsup:

One concern I would have firing this weapon would be that you would have nothing at all except your hand on the foregrip and your face (eye cone on the optics) to stop the recoil on this....even if it is on a carbine. Sounds like a receipe for a black eye to me! :dunno:

Hi Brian, Thanks for the comment on the photo, that's the cool thing about the forum, what we all have that we can show one another or share in a thread such as this. :thumbsup:

Not certain that the carbine would have actually been fired like that , it could well have been one of those things were the photographer said mmmhh if you have the stock pressed into the shoulder it makes the shot way too wide.

I know that when I have had photographs taken for newspapers the photographer asks you to hold the item your looking at three inches from your face, so the photo is compact enough for the page.

Cheers Lewis

Lewis,

That is a wonderful photograph! I am inclined to believe the scope accounting for 30% of those Japanese killed on Okinawa as being substantially inflated. 30%???

craig_pickrall

You are right, I didn't think about that when I read it. It would be hard enough to believe all of the carbines on the island accounted for 30% of the KIA.