What's going on in these photos?

StevenL

These six photos came with a bunch of others but there's absolutely no indication of what's being shown. As best I can tell the grouping was for a man in the 104th Field Artillery, Battery A and the photos date from either WW2 or immediately post war. That's where I'm at a loss. In one photo they're holding big armfuls of... something. Wood, explosives, who knows? :w00t: I can't shake the idea that it was controlled destruction as some sort of exercise.

Anyone else have some ideas?

post-22-0-84615400-1410895578.jpg

post-22-0-25236200-1410895581.jpg

post-22-0-43071100-1410895583.jpg

post-22-0-24190600-1410895586.jpg

post-22-0-62775400-1410895588.jpg

post-22-0-40383800-1410895616.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods

They were NYARNG, correct?

If so, this looks like it could be disaster relief after maybe a tornado. Im seeing a lot of wind damage and not explosive damage. But thats just what it looks like to me

BILL THE PATCH

i think it may be a stateside photo, perhaps at a base camp, looks like a tornado went through it. the men holding what looks to be wood look like mortar or shell cardboard tubes. and the men guarding the area because of looting the explosives there? just a thought!

Misanthropic_Gods

is it possible that a tornado went through a base, and like Bill said, they are guarding ordnance that was scattered by the storm. Those buildings look like they could be on a base for sure, just look at the barracks in the background of the first picture

Everything I've found points to them being National Guard and I did buy them in NY. I actually thought tornado too but discounted the idea because it's New York and during my 24 years in the state I never saw a single one. If those are indeed mortar or shell tubes it would make sense that they would be salvaging whatever they could.

You guys are great. Thanks for the ideas.

Misanthropic_Gods
Everything I've found points to them being National Guard and I did buy them in NY. I actually thought tornado too but discounted the idea because it's New York and during my 24 years in the state I never saw a single one. If those are indeed mortar or shell tubes it would make sense that they would be salvaging whatever they could.

You guys are great. Thanks for the ideas.

maybe it is possible that they were not in New York? They were out someplace training, or coming back from overseas?

Also, apparently New York Does get tornadoes!

http://www.tornadoproject.com/alltorns/nytorn.htm

maybe it is possible that they were not in New York? They were out someplace training, or coming back from overseas?

That may very well be the case. The land in these photos looks awfully flat and sprawling to have been taken in New York.

This was after a tornado touched down and destroyed the base theater in Kansas.

Photo#1 shows the armed guards surrounding the area because of the loss of life.

Photo#4 clearly shows the demolished kitchen and the remnants of the popcorn machine,(just to the right of center).

When the tornado smashed the theater's kitchen and popcorn machine.......it killed two colonels !~ :lol: :laughing1:

The remnants of the kitchen area and the Soldiers holding what looks like wood, may very well be loaves of bread...

Leigh..

Got da Penny
Tornado seems logical, although my first thought was the aftermath of a mock town after an atomic blast test.......mike

My thoughts at first too......

I'd be lying if I said the atomic blast idea hadn't crossed my mind at one point. The damage is defiantly more in line with a tornado though. One building is completely destroyed while the one next to it is totally untouched.

My guess is a gas explosion. The pots are upright on the stove and not a very big debris field for a tornado. I am curious about the soldier wearing riding boots and spurs (is that a revolver in his hand?) Can you use a magnifying glass to see what the sign above the door reads?

The damage done by tornados is some of the weirdest stuff you can ever hope to (never) see. They have picked up houses, spun them around and set them right back down on their foundation with the front door opening to the backyard. They can put your neighbor's shed inside your cow or your cow inside your neighbor's shed and not scratch the paint on your little red wagon. They can drop down like a finger and spin one building into straw and then go right back up without ruffling the drapes on the house across the street. They can also make a small city disappear.

I have seen pictures where a twister took the roof and one wall off of someone's kitchen but left the dishes on the table.

This looks to me like the damage left behind by a tornado or straight-line wind storm.

Tornadoes are weird. Years ago we had one that skipped down the mountain and wiped out a Huffy station. It touched down hit a house skipped three hit another house skipped two more then wiped out the Huffy gas station.

When you enlarge it it looks like he's holding a glove in his gloved hand.

My guess is a gas explosion. The pots are upright on the stove and not a very big debris field for a tornado. I am curious about the soldier wearing riding boots and spurs (is that a revolver in his hand?) Can you use a magnifying glass to see what the sign above the door reads?