My Bayonet 2000

Still-A-Marine

Still-A-Marine
Nice bayonet .So this was made in the USA by Eickhorn ? Do they have a factory in the USA ?

Eickhorn had an independent company here in the US representing them in this deal. I do not know who that was but that is where Bill Porter got several bayonets. I was lucky enough to get one of those.

The contract was written for a firm fixed price (FFP), Indefinite Delivery / Indefinite Quantity (ID / IQ). The contract called for 50 Limited Production Units to be provided for inspection with the contract amount due starting 30 days from that date. The contract was canceled before the 50 units were delivered. This is one of the original 50-unit lot. The Eickhorn bayonet component parts were manufactured in Germany and shipped to the US and completely assembled here. That is why the blade is marked "Made in USA".

Here is a comment from Frank Trzaska about Bill Porter’s USMC Bayonet 2000 Stash - February 24, 2009.

"That is a great find; I thought they were all long gone. This is a real chance to get an official USMC bayonet that has the shortest duty time of any bayonet in history. I can't think of any USMC marked piece in a lower quantity and officially sanctioned then this bayonet. Like new from the original batch, that is a sweet find! Way to go!"

There is quite a bid of information on these in Frank Trzaska's Knife Notes.

Bill

I thought these were made by Ontario only. Didn't know Eichorn had been in production. Were these for the US military, our allies, or the collector market? SKIP

Still-A-Marine
I thought these were made by Ontario only. Didn't know Eichorn had been in production. Were these for the US military, our allies, or the collector market? SKIP

I have pasted in a couple of sections from Frank Trzaska's Knife Notes. If you want to read the whole saga start looking in Knife Notes Part 5. There is more in Part 6 and 7. But in a nutshell the US Marines contracted for this bayonet with Eichorn but the contract was cancelled before any bayonets were delivered. There were a few (up to 50 but no definite count) made per spec with the EGA. These were to be delivered for inspection. These are the bayonets Bill Porter was able to acquire in limited number.

As I understand it the commercial version did not have the EGA on the blade. There was/is also a wire cutter version that the Marines did not select. It also does not have the EGA on the blade.

So this was the first "US Marine Corps only" bayonet that was selected and contracted. It was also never issued. Now the Marines have the second "US Marine Corps only" bayonet that is the first to be an issued item - the OKC-3S. Bill

Frank Trzaska’s Knife Notes: Part 8

Bayonet 2000

The new Bayonet 2000 has finally been introduced into the U.S. for retail sale. This is the design submitted by Eickhorn for the USMC bayonet trials. In fact this is the winning entry into those trials. Not 30 days after the winner was named the trials were declared null and void. It seems the U.S. makers had a bit of dirt rubbed in their faces and they were none too happy with it. Not to mention the Marines stated that Eickhorn was the only manufacturer who could supply this amount and have the Eagle, Globe & Anchor engraved in all the blades. Two big mistakes. Anyway those of you who have followed this column know all of that as it has been documented as it was happening at the time. Here we present photos of the new bayonet from our good friend Bill Porter. (See photos in iPhoto). Those of you who know Bill, also know he is like a prized Coon Dog when he sniffs a new bayonet. Bill ran this one down before we even knew they were being marketed! Perhaps as the story unfolds we can bring you more info on this bayonet in next months Knotes. And the new ASEK that Eickhorn is also producing. How's that for a hook!

Frank Trzaska’s Knife Notes: Part 9

More Bayonet 2000

As we are all aware the Marine Corps stated in the Commerce Business Daily dated September 25, 2001 their intention to sole source supply the new bayonets with Eickhorn in Solingen Germany for their Bayonet 2000. These bayonets were made with and without wire cutter attachments. The Marines selected the model without the wire cutter devices to keep it simple. In less then two weeks all hell broke loose from the comments along with the sourcing statement that Eickhorn was the only one who could supply the needed 5,000 per week with the Eagle Globe and Anchor engraved on the blades. Someone didn’t do their homework too good on that one. Nevertheless the contract and negotiations were rescinded in October and a bid system was used in the place of the sole source contract. Many months of bidding and testing went by before the final selection. In the end it appears Ontario has come out the victor and will supply the USMC with their first true production USMC spec’ed bayonet in the Corps history. (They have always used the Army or Navy bayonets in the past, think about it.) Well with the testing and secrecy over with the Eickhorn Bayonet 2000 has hit the street in production amounts. These are purely commercial pieces but to hold the rather dubious distinction of being the first bayonet chosen by the Marines to be their own. It may only go down in the history books as a footnote and not a proper "issued" bayonet it will someday become part of the lore. So for that we intend to document it right here and now for future generations to see. Last month we ran a short piece on the USMC Bayonet 2000 as selected by the Marines. This month we feature the wire cutter version. Not really a whole lot different aside from the obvious cutter plate and matching hole in the blade, but we felt the need to document it. Both pieces use the same latch plate affixed with a Phillips head screw through the tang. The same handle is used on both as it the same muzzle ring guard. The scabbard is the same basic design with the plastic body affixed to a web strap via Velcro and metal snaps. The difference is in the locking mechanism on the plastic scabbard body. There is a clamping screw that when tightened will clamp down on the bayonet blade internally in the scabbard body. This is turn will prevent the bayonet from accidentally falling out of the scabbard should the retaining strap or snap fail. It can also be set to a tension that will prevent the bayonet from falling out loosely but still allow the retaining strap to be undone on purpose for a quick grab if needed in a tactical situation. Right below the locking screw is a small piece of diamond stone available for a quick touch up. The web strap like the non wire cutter is set up for attaching to MOLLE type gear with many straps on the rear for various mounting options. Markings on the blade omit the USMC reference but still list the product as the Bayonet 2000 with the WC added. Incidentally Bayonet 2000 is trade marked and a Patent is pending on the new bayonet. We hope to add it to the Patent page one day.

As Bill states above, these are the only Eickhorn bayonets that you'll find that are marked "Made in USA". Both the USMC marked non-wirecutter and the WC2000 (wirecutter) were assembled here in the US. I tracked these down when I first heard about them and stayed in touch with the gentleman handling the project here in the US. After several years of conversations, I was able to acquire all of his inventory.

Frank Trzaska

Another great find, you are one a roll with super rare USMC items!

This was another fun pursuit running down the info on it. Unfortunately this one caused the USMC some embarrassment and grief.

And I thought I was persistent, Bill dogged this guy for years to buy them! Just finally wore the guy down. Outstanding! Anyone want to buy one...

All the best

Frank Trzaska