What do you make of this auction?

I came across this plated Amcraft wing on E-Bay. It arrived pinned through a manufacturer's card. After purchase, I noticed the seller seems to have quite a few of these, and as you can see, re-lists every couple of weeks. Once in hand, it closely matches the pictures, and the ones I have seen on this site. My concern is the catch and pin on mine seem very poorly soldered on; the catch is actually crooked. The flat spots on the front are also very shiny and "chiseled" looking. I heard a load of Amcraft wings hit the market a few years back. Should I be worried?

Amcraft Auction

In my opinion, those wings are good.

Snowflake wings are, I believe, tough to fake. They usually have a somewhat "muddy" appearence and are easy to spot. That wing also, has a somewhat light weight pin that opens 180 degrees. The only thing that I question is the locking catch on the pin.

I think they are good, but wait for those that know more then I to add to your posting.

Cheers,

John

I'm not an expert, but the right side of the shield looks funny.

Notice the last vertical bar is crooked at the bottom, and to the right of that, the edge of the shield is not well defined,

as compared to the left side edge.

I don't have the knowledge to say if it's a fake, or a production error of a certain lot of wings.

I came across this plated Amcraft wing on E-Bay. It arrived pinned through a manufacturer's card. After purchase, I noticed the seller seems to have quite a few of these, and as you can see, re-lists every couple of weeks. Once in hand, it closely matches the pictures, and the ones I have seen on this site. My concern is the catch and pin on mine seem very poorly soldered on; the catch is actually crooked. The flat spots on the front are also very shiny and "chiseled" looking. I heard a load of Amcraft wings hit the market a few years back. Should I be worried?

Amcraft Auction

I think they are 100% WWII vintage. Actually, you are correct, a large number of these did hit the market about 10 years ago or so. They were unissued old stock. They all had this cheap kind of pin and catch. I wouldn't worry.

I always liked this wing pattern.

Best

Patrick

in fact, here is one of those old stock wings I picked up way back when. As I said, they flooded the market and at the time, they were being sold for 10$ a pop. I remember going to one of the Los Angeles ASMIC shows and the guy (IIRC he was from Hawaii) had a shoe box full of them. I bought as many as I could.

post-1519-1281416763.jpg

I think they are 100% WWII vintage. Actually, you are correct, a large number of these did hit the market about 10 years ago or so. They were unissued old stock. They all had this cheap kind of pin and catch. I wouldn't worry.

I always liked this wing pattern.

Best

Patrick

in fact, here is one of those old stock wings I picked up way back when. As I said, they flooded the market and at the time, they were being sold for 10$ a pop. I remember going to one of the Los Angeles ASMIC shows and the guy (IIRC he was from Hawaii) had a shoe box full of them. I bought as many as I could.

Paul,

Perhaps you can critique my comments regarding what I saw in the shield area.

The picture you have posted looks different.

Thanks,

JS

Here are the two early pattern Amcraft wings in my collection for comparison.

Hallmarked and Issue.

I realize now that the locking catch I commented on originally in the first posting, is the same as one of my two wings.

Hope that helps.

John

post-12439-1281418244.jpg

post-12439-1281418264.jpg

Paul,

Perhaps you can critique my comments regarding what I saw in the shield area.

The picture you have posted looks different.

Thanks,

JS

Howdy,

It is hard to say, from a picture, if what you see is just an artifact of the lighting or an actual flaw in the strike. My humble opinion is that the right side of the shield just looks thicker due to some lighting and reflections, not an actual variation in the wing. Every other aspect of the wing is spot on--the catch, the hallmark, the feathering, etc. Based on the whole feel of the wing, I wouldn't have any problem at all adding these to my collection. Still, you may be correct, it could be some slight variation or flaw. No two things are ever totally alike. But my feeling is that it is just an artifact of the picture.

These particular wings seem to have been made of a light weight pot metal or perhaps a plated brass type metal. I have also seen them rarely in sterling silver. I do see cheap castings of this wing pattern, but they are usually very easy to spot.

Does that address your concerns? Of course the best thing to do would to be get some extra photos at different angles to be sure.

Howdy,

It is hard to say, from a picture, if what you see is just an artifact of the lighting or an actual flaw in the strike. My humble opinion is that the right side of the shield just looks thicker due to some lighting and reflections, not an actual variation in the wing. Every other aspect of the wing is spot on--the catch, the hallmark, the feathering, etc. Based on the whole feel of the wing, I wouldn't have any problem at all adding these to my collection. Still, you may be correct, it could be some slight variation or flaw. No two things are ever totally alike. But my feeling is that it is just an artifact of the picture.

These particular wings seem to have been made of a light weight pot metal or perhaps a plated brass type metal. I have also seen them rarely in sterling silver. I do see cheap castings of this wing pattern, but they are usually very easy to spot.

Does that address your concerns? Of course the best thing to do would to be get some extra photos at different angles to be sure.

Paul,

After continued viewing from front AND back, I agree that it is the angle of the camera.

I followed the pattern edge of the shield and realized I was looking at the right edge "face"

of the shield. I'm sure that is a lighting distortion caused by the angle.

Thanks for taking the time to give me an answer.

JS

These are real, and cache of these was recently found in the estate of an Air Force Officer that retired in the late 60's or early 70's and was involved in base closings. These, and a box of AE pilot wings were found in his basement, along with a bunch of other insignia. The wings were sold by , I believe, his Grandson. I bought some and they are stone cold good. The Grandson really had no clue what he had and really just wanted to clean out the basement. I know this sounds like one of those urban wing legends but in this case I know that it is true. If you want a nice set of Amcrafts go for it. ( And I am NOT the seller).