Opet's Odyssey

Abby K-9

MSG Steve Opet, an Illustrator in the US Army, deployed to Iraq with the 10th Mountain Division in 2008.

A few weeks ago, we received a very nice FedEx box at the 10th Mountain Division & Fort Drum Museum containing the original illustrations - ink and marker on 8x10 paper - that he did during his deployment. They were featured in the "Mountain View" newspaper and are also featured in the 10th Mountain Yearbook. The latter is currently on display in digitized version at the Museum.

We're not yet sure how to best include these cartoons into a display, but in the mean time, we have digitized them all and posted them to our Museum's Facebook page. Maybe, at some point, we will be able to post them to the Museum website on Fort Drum's homepage as well, but that's down the road. If you have Facebook, you can see all the cartoons that were donated to us at

(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

In total, MSG Opet donated 77 of his comics to the Museum, out of which 76 are originals. The last is a color copy as LTG Oates has the original. We have them all on our Facebook page which you should be able to view without having a Facebook account. Once on the page, click "wall" and then the album is posted at toward the top. You will be able to click on it and view them all.

In total, MSG Opet donated 77 of his comics to the Museum, out of which 76 are originals. The last is a color copy as LTG Oates has the original. We have them all on our Facebook page which you should be able to view without having a Facebook account. Once on the page, click "wall" and then the album is posted at toward the top. You will be able to click on it and view them all.

thanks Abby. Nice to see you back on the Forum again...

I absolutely love the one of First Sergeant shooting the laptop. It's a great take off of the classic Bill Mauldin cartoon of the First Sergeant shooting the jeep. Plus working for the Army I fully understand the frustration of dealing with automation issues. If this was sold as a T-shirt, I would buy one.

These are really interesting because of how current they are. There's a multitude of WW2 era comics but you hardly ever see something modern and from someone with so much artistic talent to boot. Thanks for sharing.

I don't know, Steven - there seem to be a lot of recent military comic strips around. Most run for a year or two and then die out, or just run for the duration of a deployment, but there are plenty. A couple I can think of right off top of my head are Private Murphy, Lawn Darts, Air Force Blues, Crew Dogs, Broadside, Ricky's Tour, Sempertoons, Anchors Away, Tally Ho, and Operation Elusive Concept. They all used to have their own websites and a couple of the above still do and/or can be found online elsewhere. There's also a military spouse cartoon (Jenny Spouse) that is online and runs in Stars & Stripes.

I did the website for Private Murphy BTW. :D

I don't know, Steven - there seem to be a lot of recent military comic strips around. Most run for a year or two and then die out, or just run for the duration of a deployment, but there are plenty. A couple I can think of right off top of my head are Private Murphy, Lawn Darts, Air Force Blues, Crew Dogs, Broadside, Ricky's Tour, Sempertoons, Anchors Away, Tally Ho, and Operation Elusive Concept. They all used to have their own websites and a couple of the above still do and/or can be found online elsewhere. There's also a military spouse cartoon (Jenny Spouse) that is online and runs in Stars & Stripes.

I did the website for Private Murphy BTW. :D

I love, Private Murphy, he is one of the longer lasting military cartoonists. Here is his website: http://www.pvtmurphy.com