WWII USMC Packs

DocRick

I've seen two basic types of common USMC WWII packs, the flap over (like a mussette bag) and the "tube-style" that is like a small duffle bag that the entire top flaps over. Both types have the upper and lower packs that hook together the same way. My question is what is the difference between the two? Were they used a different times (early or late war) or just different manufacturers? Is one style more scarce then the other style i.e. more valuable?

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

I've seen two basic types of common USMC WWII packs, the flap over (like a mussette bag) and the "tube-style" that is like a small duffle bag that the entire top flaps over. Both types have the upper and lower packs that hook together the same way. My question is what is the difference between the two? Were they used a different times (early or late war) or just different manufacturers? Is one style more scarce then the other style i.e. more valuable?

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Tube style were after standard flap style. Two theories of looking at why the tube style. One was that the ease of production as no extra cutting or tape edging involved and the other is that things can't fall out as easy even if one of the strap break off. It also provides a little bit of water security with the tube style. By no means waterproof, but a quick dunk would not have filled the pack.

My two cents worth. I found nothing in QM records that I recall in reagrds to why change and also the MCEB's are sporadic so I did not locate any speakign to this pack.

Schnicklfritz

While the two styles mentioned are the main variations, there is also variations as to the retaining straps with the earliest being the D ring that had to be used in conjunciton with the suspenders, to riveted straps, short sewn straps and longer sewn straps.

Almost sounds like the haversack, and the knapsack. (The set). That's the only 'tube over' I can really think of in the M41 packs.

The tube opening style is very late production. I would recommend the flap style for a really true WWII impression. Also, the best color to stick with is the light or mustard khaki. The light OD shade was later war also.