WWI USMC Army Tunic of Wounded Marine

Alec

Here is an Army tunic of Warren Stone Freund who was wounded during WWI-see Muster Roll wound info. Does anyone know what the other ribbons are for besides the Victory ribbon.

post-7194-1281332293.jpg

post-7194-1281332302.jpg

WOW! Sharp looking tunic with loads of history. Unfortunately, I have NO idea what the other ribbons could be, I've never seen anything even CLOSELY resembling them....

Thanks for sharing it, Sir!

Semper,

Ski

Strictly GI

They are both from veteran's associations but I can't be specific. I think the one on the far right is an American Legion award. Will try to find more info.

that should say can't. Edit button went away?

There is a time limit on editing messages. I think its 30 minutes.

I believe the center one is called the inter-allied victory ribbon. It is also a private purchase ribbon, the colors representing the flags of all of the allies.

Beautiful uniform!

There is a time limit on editing messages. I think its 30 minutes.

I believe the center one is called the inter-allied victory ribbon. It is also a private purchase ribbon, the colors representing the flags of all of the allies.

Beautiful uniform!

Agree - Great outfit! Interesting to see the combination U.S. and USMC collar discs being worn. I have a grouping from from a WWI 5th Marine vet that has two sets like this in his his stuff.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

The middle ribbon is the inter-allied victory medal ribbon and the last ribbon is the VFW ribbon.

Dave

The middle ribbon is the inter-allied victory medal ribbon and the last ribbon is the VFW ribbon.

Dave

Thanks to all. I'll post my other WWI tunic when I get a chance. Luckily I have his shooting badge, good conduct and even a picture of him.

Schnicklfritz

That is one great tunic. Rare to find an Army tunic patched to a Marine unit. Would love to see a full shot of it and everything else in the group if you have time!

BigJohn#3RD
Her is the muster roll wound information

Great looking uniform from what I can see. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: How is the EGA attached to the tunic Screw Back or Pin Back? :think: Can you post a picture of the Patch? :rolleyes:

Regards

John

Great looking uniform from what I can see. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: How is the EGA attached to the tunic Screw Back or Pin Back? :think: Can you post a picture of the Patch? :rolleyes:

Regards

John

Screw back for the EGA disc. I will post better pics later tonite if I can get away.

normaninvasion

Are there overseas cheverons on the jacket? The reason I ask, I have an Army jacket that was used by a Marine, patched and usmc buttons, but the overseas cheverons are sewn in the wrong direction, Navy style. I've read that seagoing Marines did this, any truth? My apologies if this is off topic, jeff

Are there overseas cheverons on the jacket? The reason I ask, I have an Army jacket that was used by a Marine, patched and usmc buttons, but the overseas cheverons are sewn in the wrong direction, Navy style. I've read that seagoing Marines did this, any truth? My apologies if this is off topic, jeff

I think chevron point down on both service and wound stripe. I will shoot tonite and send. Too many uniforms to recall all details.

Alec,

These Army uniforms that are positively ID'ed to a Marine are extremely rare and are very under appreciated. I have photographs of patched Army tunics being worn by Marines in one of my uniform groupings, but have never had the opportunity to acquire a real and verified uniform/tunic. I have always looked at any of these jackets with guarded optimism, due to their scarcity. It is my own thought that the wearing of one USMC disc was most likely due to the difficulty in the Marine obtaining them and they were doled out among the guys in the immediate group. The fact that your tunic has the USMC disc on the left side is reassuring as well, as that it is conforming to the traditional "US" disc, being mounted in accordance to regulations. Some Marines also mounted their USMC buttons to the Army jacket to further differentiate them form Army. I have probably stated the obvious, and apologize if I have stated what everyone is already aware of.

Long story shorter, very nice item.

Dennis

Schnicklfritz

Ditto what Dennis said. These Marine uniforms are the rarest of the rare IMHO. From what I gather, these Army uniforms used by Marines were turned in when they received their Forrest Greens when returning to the US. I'm pretty sure that they turned them in upon arrival in the US as the photos I've seen show the Marines still wearing Army uniforms when the arrived on US soil.

I've often wondered about the patch variations that were on these uniforms vs the ones that you see on the Forrest Greens.

Photos also show a wide variation of collar discs worn with these uniforms, varying from company letters to regimental numbered discs along with EGA collar discs.

• 1 year later...

Great Tunic, many were replaced with the Army type.

Jeff does these photo help - USMC and USN overseas cheverons.

• 3 months later...

An interesting followup to this uniform. Just received his PF quickly with the excellent help and service of Geoff at Golden Arrow Research.

Freund lost his leg as a result of his wound and apparently had an issue with the Marine Corps. I doubt this individual was lying about what he stated in the letter. Would love to find something to prove his assertion and address a wrong from so long ago.

post-7194-1329109190.jpg

post-7194-1329109201.jpg