Multinational Force and Observers uniform

Bob Hudson

This US Army uniform has a patch from the Multinational Force and Observers, a little known force in the mideast:

ifoshirt.jpg

ifoshirtpatches.jpg

Okay so what's the MFO?

Well, here's what their website says:

"The mission of the MFO is to supervise the implementation of the security provisions of the Egyptian-Israeli Treaty of Peace and employ best efforts to prevent any violation of its terms.

Article II of Annex I to the Treaty of Peace establishes four security zones, three in the Sinai in Egypt and one in Israel along the international border. Limitations on military forces and equipment within each zone are stipulated in Annex I to the Treaty.

To execute the mission, the Treaty Parties assigned to the MFO the following tasks:

* Operation of checkpoints, reconnaissance patrols, and observation posts along the international boundary and Line B, and within Zone C.

* Periodic verification of the implementation of the provisions of Annex I, to be carried out not less than twice a month unless otherwise agreed by the Parties.

* Additional verifications within 48 hours after the receipt of a request from either Party.

* Ensure the freedom of navigation through the Strait of Tiran."

The USA is one of eleven nations providing support to the MFO (Australia, Canada, Colombia, Fiji, France, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand, the United States and Uruguay, Norway).

Here's what the MFO site says about the US contingent:

The United States has provided an Infantry Battalion Task Force in support of the MFO mission since the inception of the MFO. The mission of the USBATT is to occupy the southern sector of Zone C and to observe and report in accordance with the Treaty of Peace and its Protocol. The unit mans eleven remote sites in its sector on a 24 X 7 basis and also operates selected temporary observation posts and mobile patrols on a random basis each day. USBATT is also responsible for the operation and security of South Camp.

The Battalion Task Forces used to rotate every six months as an integral unit and from 1982 through 2002, the responsibility for providing these battalions was rotated among the US Army Active Component Infantry Divisions. From January 2002 to the present, the Army National Guard has provided the infantry battalions. Arkansas, Oregon, Oklahoma, Iowa, Michigan and New Jersey provided the first six infantry battalions. A battalion from the California National Guard assumed the mission in January 2005 and was the first unit to execute the mission for a full 12 months. The Texas National Guard provides the current Task Force and they will be followed by Puerto Rico in January 2007

The battalion task force is authorized 425 soldiers and is generally organized into a Headquarters and Headquarters Company (HHC), three or four infantry companies and selected attachments. USBATT provides a liaison officer (LNO) and NCO to the Force Commander's staff at North Camp. The LNO also performs duties as a Battle Captain within the Force Operations Center.

and this about the support battalion:

The mission of 1st US Support Battalion is to provide logistical, aviation, medical and dental and explosive ordinance disposal support to the entire MFO.

SPTBATT is authorized under a US TDA with an authorized strength of 235 and organized as follows:

* Headquarters and Supply Company (HSC) 71

* Aviation Company (AVCO) 97

* Medical Company (MEDCO) 62

* Explosive Ordnance Disposal Detachment (EOD) 5

* TOTAL 235

1st Support Battalion provides direct logistical support to all eleven contingents within the MFO at both base camps and all 30 remote sites.

A few more MFO bits.

The cap is manufactured by Bancroft. Unfortunately the lining has been ripped out of the beret but it is named inside to a Captain Steele (good name for a capt.).

Here is my MFO uniform. Not 100% sure of this one. As you can see the MFO badge is worn on the right sleeve (not too sure what the protocol is with regard to wearing the patch after leaving the MFO, or even if you could). On the left sleeve is the patch for the 3rd Armoured Div which I am fairly sure never served as part of the MFO. Still I like it and will keep it even if it might be a bit dodgy.

Cheers

Searcher

PS: her is the MFO home page:

http://www.mfo.org/2/homepage.asp

post-1385-1186202803.jpg

post-1385-1186202829.jpg

post-1385-1186202852.jpg

post-1385-1186202892.jpg

post-1385-1186202928.jpg

It all looks right to me. The MFO are typically deployed in the Sinai, and were rotated through the National Guard as well as the active duty forces.

I have a metal beret badge that I picked up about 10 years ago.

in Iraq, the Multinational Force & Observers is now Multinational Force-Iraq (MNF-I). They were all over the embassy, and rather irritating at times when we were trying to do our jobs pertaining to security. All thought they were special

in Iraq, the Multinational Force & Observers is now Multinational Force-Iraq (MNF-I). They were all over the embassy, and rather irritating at times when we were trying to do our jobs pertaining to security. All thought they were special

I don't think the two are related at all. The MFO was established solely for to monitor the Egypt Israel peace treaty and includes nations that have never been involved in Iraq. The MNF-I is the organizational embodiment of the "Coalition" of countries with military forces in Iraq. MFO is a relatively safe assignment so it gets support from lots of countries (it's not related to the United Nations either). US MFO forces are now all drawn from the National Guard.

I don't think the two are related at all. The MFO was established solely for to monitor the Egypt Israel peace treaty and includes nations that have never been involved in Iraq. The MNF-I is the organizational embodiment of the "Coalition" of countries with military forces in Iraq. MFO is a relatively safe assignment so it gets support from lots of countries (it's not related to the United Nations either). US MFO forces are now all drawn from the National Guard.

When did the National Guard pick up the MFO mission? I saw a chocolate chip camo jacket with a ARNG SSI & MFO insignia. Knowing when the Guard picked up the mission might help to date the use of the uniforms.

When did the National Guard pick up the MFO mission? I saw a chocolate chip camo jacket with a ARNG SSI & MFO insignia. Knowing when the Guard picked up the mission might help to date the use of the uniforms.

The Guard has provided the MFO force since January 2002.

As an aside to that, a report to Congress said that changed increased salary costs because, "National Guard troops tend to have been in grade longer than active duty soldiers and are consequently paid more."

Actually, units of the 29th ID (Md/Va National Guard) did a rotation there back in the 90's if I recall right. They were some of the first to get that mission.

Actually, units of the 29th ID (Md/Va National Guard) did a rotation there back in the 90's if I recall right. They were some of the first to get that mission.

Actually, the MFO dates back into the early '80's -- if I recall correctly they were put there after Jimmie Carter helped the Egyptians and Israelis reach the Camp David accords. Originally the units sent over were brigades of teh 82nd and 101st which rotated periodically (6 mos?). This chocolate chip shirt and beret(s0 were brought back and given given to be by a former student. I know he was there before the invasion of Grenada -- he was there too.

Note that they wore the flag on the left sleeve and the MFO patch on the right.

I have since learned that the visored Bancroft caps were worn by non-airborne types.

137_3770__2_.JPG

Gil, sure sounds right to me. I don't have reference books at work, and couldn't remember exactly when the mission started. I knew it was going on in the mid 80s and thought it was regular army; recall the plane crash in December of 1985, 101st Airborne enroute back from that deployment. I remember it because my USMC squadron ALSO flew on "Arrow Air", the airline that crashed.

Laury Allison

The US Military began issuing the Multinational Force and Observers Medal on 28 July 1982. It was retroactive to August 1981.

This should hopefully narrow down the beginning dates. I'm fairly sure I got the patches before I went into the service myself, and that was in June 1982.

Laury

Spathologist

Spent three years in the MFO, with the Aviation Company; 97-99 and 06-07. I just left there last January.

Best as I can remember from unit photos, the chocolate chip uniform was worn until ~1994. I can't say for sure that no NG units had the South Camp mission before 2002, but I remember in 1999 that it was being discussed heavily, with lots of argument.

The job tended to rotate through 10th Mountain, the 82nd and the 101st. They brought in a battalion from Alaska in 1998, don't remember which, but it was remarked upon as a deviation from the pattern.

Spathologist
I have a metal beret badge that I picked up about 10 years ago.

The metal beret badges are for officers and the top grade of NCOs. Cloth badges are for enlisted members.

Ah HA! Thanks for that information. Now I know!

Oddly enough, found it in a dollar box at a "hamfest" radio show.

Ah HA! Thanks for that information. Now I know!

Oddly enough, found it in a dollar box at a "hamfest" radio show.

I am constantly amazed at the resources of the Forum. We may not get all the details right off,nbut we sure get it in the end. Great job folks.

Gil

AAMUC #1

www.Naples.net/clubs.AAMUC

Hey Guys,

I spent my MFO time with the 82ND back during the 1981-1983 period JUST BEORE going to Grenada. (We hadn't been back 6 months before we left again) Here is a little bit of info that might be useful in clearing up the ACTUAL DATES and related junk. I read some of the other entries, BOY, do they bring back the MEMORIES... :blink:

We called the medal "THE M.F.'ing CREAMSICLE" award, and everyone ALWAYS wanted to know what is THAT RIBBON FOR ?? I've NEVER seen it before.... think.gif

Makes you just want to slap the "SH_T" out of somebody for asking such a DUMB question. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

ADAM2001

The Multinational Force and Observers Medal was established by the Director General, Multinational Force and Observers (MFO), 24 March 1982. Presidential acceptance for the United States Armed Forces and DOD civilian personnel is announced by Department of Defense on 28 July 1982.

Eligibility: To qualify for the award personnel must have served with the MFO at least ninety (90) cumulative days after 3 August 1981. Effective 15 March 1985, personnel must serve 6 months (170 days minimum) with the MFO to qualify for the award. Periods of service on behalf of the MFO outside of the Sinai, and periods of leave while a member is serving with the MFO, may be counted toward eligibility for the MFO medal. Qualifying time may be lost for disciplinary reasons.

Awards. Awards are made by the Director General, MFO, or in his or her name by officials to whom he or she delegates awarding authority.

Presentation. Presentations are usually to be made by personnel designated by the Director General, MFO. When presentation is not accomplished, any person with MFO service who believes he or she is eligible for the award may submit a request for the award to Commander, PERSCOM, ATTN: TAPC–PDA , Alexandria, VA 22332–0471. This request must include complete details related to MFO duty, including geographical location and inclusive dates of service, and copies of all substantiating documents. Commanding General, PERSCOM, will then forward each such request through the Office of Internal Administration, Office of the Assistant Secretary of State for International Organization Affairs, to the Multinational Force and Observers for consideration.

Subsequent Awards. Second and subsequent awards for each completed 6-month tour will be indicated by an appropriate numeral starting with numeral 2. If an individual has not completed a cumulative 6 month tour, he or she is not eligible for award of the MFO medal unless one of the following conditions exists:

(1) The award is to be made posthumously.

(2) The member is medically evacuated due to service incurred injuries or serious illness.

(3) The member is withdrawn at the request of the parent Government for national service reasons under honorable conditions.

Hey Guys,

I spent my MFO time with the 82ND back during the 1981-1983 period JUST BEORE going to Grenada. (We hadn't been back 6 months before we left again) Here is a little bit of info that might be useful in clearing up the ACTUAL DATES and related junk. I read some of the other entries, BOY, do they bring back the MEMORIES... :blink:

We called the medal "THE M.F.'ing CREAMSICLE" award, and everyone ALWAYS wanted to know what is THAT RIBBON FOR ?? I've NEVER seen it before.... think.gif

Makes you just want to slap the "SH_T" out of somebody for asking such a DUMB question. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

ADAM2001

The Multinational Force and Observers Medal was established by the Director General, Multinational Force and Observers (MFO), 24 March 1982. Presidential acceptance for the United States Armed Forces and DOD civilian personnel is announced by Department of Defense on 28 July 1982.

Eligibility: To qualify for the award personnel must have served with the MFO at least ninety (90) cumulative days after 3 August 1981. Effective 15 March 1985, personnel must serve 6 months (170 days minimum) with the MFO to qualify for the award. Periods of service on behalf of the MFO outside of the Sinai, and periods of leave while a member is serving with the MFO, may be counted toward eligibility for the MFO medal. Qualifying time may be lost for disciplinary reasons.

Awards. Awards are made by the Director General, MFO, or in his or her name by officials to whom he or she delegates awarding authority.

Presentation. Presentations are usually to be made by personnel designated by the Director General, MFO. When presentation is not accomplished, any person with MFO service who believes he or she is eligible for the award may submit a request for the award to Commander, PERSCOM, ATTN: TAPC–PDA , Alexandria, VA 22332–0471. This request must include complete details related to MFO duty, including geographical location and inclusive dates of service, and copies of all substantiating documents. Commanding General, PERSCOM, will then forward each such request through the Office of Internal Administration, Office of the Assistant Secretary of State for International Organization Affairs, to the Multinational Force and Observers for consideration.

Subsequent Awards. Second and subsequent awards for each completed 6-month tour will be indicated by an appropriate numeral starting with numeral 2. If an individual has not completed a cumulative 6 month tour, he or she is not eligible for award of the MFO medal unless one of the following conditions exists:

(1) The award is to be made posthumously.

(2) The member is medically evacuated due to service incurred injuries or serious illness.

(3) The member is withdrawn at the request of the parent Government for national service reasons under honorable conditions.

Did you recognize the name on the DCU top I posted?

G

Did you recognize the name on the DCU top I posted?

G

Gil, I can't quite make it out clearly, but either it's my eyesight or the lighting. It looks like STILLMAN?

ADAM2001

craig_pickrall

Beret and flash info:

post-5-1186590380.jpg

post-5-1186590397.jpg

Cloth version is on left and metal pin on is right. The metal version has the pins bent down so I can't remove it to see the back.

post-5-1186590412.jpg

craig_pickrall

Berets:

First has the liner removed and the second is a new Bancroft that is identical to the first.

post-5-1186590584.jpg

post-5-1186590592.jpg

craig_pickrall

These pics were from an early deployment of the 82nd ABN. I did not record the date on the photos.

In the second pic note the 82 ABN spelled out with stones.

post-5-1186590715.jpg

post-5-1186590723.jpg