''COKE 1944''

Black Devils

General Apathy

Oh Dear, who's going to be first to say, wrong shape bottle, wrong color cap and it wasn't painted white on the Coke logo in the war, someone alway's has to start picking fault with things. :crying:

Cheers Lewis

Oh Dear, who's going to be first to say, wrong shape bottle, wrong color cap and it wasn't painted white on the Coke logo in the war, someone alway's has to start picking fault with things. :crying:

Cheers Lewis

A simple fix, one just needs to go to an antique store to find original bottles, clean them out, fill them with coke and recap them. Curious though what was the color cap during WW2?

General Apathy

post-344-1281113594.jpg

A simple fix, one just needs to go to an antique store to find original bottles, clean them out, fill them with coke and recap them. Curious though what was the color cap during WW2?

Hi Vivera, the overall color was greyish, I am just going out for the evening now but will try and take a cap shot later, this shot is all I have in my phto file at the moment.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy
I had this photo of a WWII Coke cap on file if that helps.

Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for the photo, saved me a job this evening setting mine up for taking a shot. :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

Fixbayonets!
Hi Rob, thanks for the photo, saved me a job this evening setting mine up for taking a shot. :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

Hey Ken,

Glad to be of service!

Rob

General Apathy
Hey Ken,

Glad to be of service!

Rob

Hi Rob, funnily we have shared a coke together before on another thread, but not actually drunk one together, oh o.k. then if you insist, you can buy me one when you get to Normandy sometime. :lol:

Cheers Ken

Fixbayonets!
Hi Rob, funnily we have shared a coke together before on another thread, but not actually drunk one together, oh o.k. then if you insist, you can buy me one when you get to Normandy sometime. :lol:

Cheers Ken

Ken,

I do remember that other Coke thread. One of these day I will get to Normandy and buy you that Coke!

Rob

I look for WWII dated coke bottles all the time, but they are always post war!!!

PS I am drinking pepsi right now, I feel ashamed. :rolleyes:

General Apathy
Ken,

I do remember that other Coke thread. One of these day I will get to Normandy and buy you that Coke!

Rob

Coke it is then Rob, Thanks. :thumbsup:

Upnatm, thanks, not seen that photo before

Ken

Most cool, haven’t seen this on TV yet. Here’s the guy who made it: http://www.archenemyfilms.com/ It seems odd to me, because there are a LOT of Coke collectors out there who’d also know that was the wrong bottle, more so than military collectors, I’d think. I’m willing to bet they’re more up in arms than anyone here, and in greater numbers, too. Heck, at one point I decided I wanted a few period Coke bottles and found three WW2-era ones within a week without even looking all that hard, two of which could easily be cleaned and used again, none of them were over ten bucks. I always find it funny when people show up at re-enacting and display events with Coke stuff. Because every single time I’ve seen that happen and any vet comes up, I’ve always heard the same thing: “Heck, we never even SAW a bottle of Coke outside of the states!” This of course reminds me of this a Bill Mauldin cartoon: http://www.warfoto.com/ba2.jpg

As a British /European G.I. collector who has read widely on the history of WW2 over the years I'm always in awe at how Uncle Sam looked after his own. Coca-Cola was a prime example of this. It's just a non-essential fizzy soda-pop... right? But, on another level, General Eisenhower was savvy enough to realise that, to millions of young Americans in uniform, it represented a little piece of home. So, following the landings in Noth Africa in 1943, he directed that millions of bottles of Coca-Cola be shipped from the US for his boys! Then, to free up valuable shipping space, three bottling plants were established in the ETO on order to maintain supplies. As the G.Is advanced, Coca-Cola went with them...and in so doing introduced the beverage to the peoples they liberated along the way. The first steps of the American Coca-Colanisation of the world. There's a lot of history in that there brown beverage!

Sabrejet :wink2:

General Apathy

post-344-1281186612.jpgpost-344-1281186581.jpg

Hi Coke Fans, Coca cola was actually bottled in Germany up until the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in Dec. 1941, once the Nazi's and the Japanese formed the Axis alliance then America stopped shipping the Cola syrup to Germany.

Shown above is a pre 1941 Coca Cola bottle from the German plant I recently acquired here in Normandy.

Once the Cola supplies stopped then the German bottling plant invented the ' Fanta ' brand of juice.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1281187335.jpg

Hi Coke Fans, here is a photograph previously posted by member ' artu44 ' showing a Coca-Cola advertising sign on the outside of a bar during WWII with German soldiers evident.

Cheers Lewis

Wartime Coke bottles can be found rather easily, I collect antique bottles on the side. Now I must say though, on a recent vacation in the south every antique store or flea market I stopped at had tons of bottles. There was one place in Savannah, Georgia called Kellers that had quite a bit of WWII and Pre WWII coke bottles going rate on norm is about 5 bucks a bottle.

• 2 months later...