USAF shoulder boards

DutchInfid3l

DutchInfid3l

shoulder boards, the only place I can think of would be Officer Training/Candidate. Though, all of the pictures I have of them they are white boards with dark stripes.
These aren't like regular mess dress shoulder boards, these are much thicker and aren't curved, plus they're made like aviation cadets with the pins to attach instead of a buttoned strap.

Here's a picture I've found, they look similar:

post-5589-0-23988400-1401285773.jpg

and here are the boards. Cadet Major? Any idea what the red band would represent?

post-5589-0-77171700-1401285777.jpg

post-5589-0-19062700-1401285782.jpg

post-5589-0-02771900-1401285787.jpg

post-5589-0-61417800-1401285794.jpg

came with a dog tag, don't know if they're related.

post-5589-0-26748200-1401285799.jpg

If the enlisted dog tag IS related, then it suggests OTS boards of some sort.

My curiosity is piqued, I'll start searching.

DutchInfid3l

Jerome Lee Griggs

DOB: 1929/10/06

DOD: 2004/07/05 Orlando, Florida, Buried in Saint Joseph, MO. Memorial Park Cemetery

DutchInfid3l
Not Cadet Major.

Not MTI tiger stripes.

What is that collar insignia he's wearing?

That's as big as I can get the picture before it gets too pixel-ly.

It might just be a crease in the collar and it's shadow, cause I can't get a very good look at it.

ROTC boards in the mid 70's were curved. I'm betting OTS 50s to 60's baesd on the building he is in.

I agree. Also, note the style shirt he is wearing which would have been 50's area and maybe a little later. I have some similar shoulderboards and they are attributed to USAF OTS from the 50's. (Sorry, no pix.)

We got one bite over at AFTWS, and it came up OTS too.

Being able to find some verifying photos or diagrams would be conclusive, but it's looking like OTS.

DutchInfid3l

Found more pictures.

post-5589-0-33379600-1401285882.jpg

post-5589-0-98712000-1401285887.jpg

I do see in the OCS Shavetail yearbooks that they do have these shoulder boards, most seem to be blank.
They also have soft epaulet ranks too. It looks as if the white boards come after they've been recognized.
Anyone have any input?

I've been searching and searching... nothing found which exactly matches the example you presented in post #1.

Thoughts:

- The white bands, in your example seem spaced very far apart by comparison with any other similar boards. That spacing would not be tolerated in uniform, assuming the other examples are correct, as they seem to be consistent in spacing at least.

- I have seen not one other board having a red (or whatever color that is) band on it anywhere.

- You've gotten quite a few views of this thread thusfar, which suggests that those who should know more than either of us do, didn't have a definitive answer this time either.

Other photos:

- Whoever those airmen are, their collar insignia are regulation AF officer, as is the visor cap insignia. They have their name hang tag on the wearer's left pocket, which is unusual.

- Judging from the caps, I am guessing those airmen to be ca. 1950-1960.

Conclusion:

I am wondering if what you have there might be something fantasy, made up for theatrical purposes?

Can you show a picture of the entire front of the board and a close up of the button at the top?

What type of material is the red mark made of?

Bill

DutchInfid3l

Can you show a picture of the entire front of the board and a close up of the button at the top?

What type of material is the red mark made of?

Bill

All the "stripes" are made out of some sort of elastic bands. All the same material, but the red one is just red.

Under the shoulder board is also the same type of elastic band actually built INTO the board, same width and all as the "rank stripes".

post-5589-0-76627500-1401285933.jpg

post-5589-0-19665500-1401285938.jpg

post-5589-0-37876500-1401285942.jpg

Its been a long while but the material of the stripes looks just like the material on the boards I wore as a AFROTC cadet 1976 to 80. Surely we must have some a member who went to OTS that can help.

• 2 weeks later...
Gumby Gunslinger
All the "stripes" are made out of some sort of elastic bands. All the same material, but the red one is just red.

Under the shoulder board is also the same type of elastic band actually built INTO the board, same width and all as the "rank stripes".

board003.jpg

board001.jpg

board002.jpg

The button on the end of the board looks like a button off the blouse of "Class A" blues. I'm going blind in my old age but I can't see a way to attach it to the shoulder. There were so many changes made to the 'dress' uniforms, the mind boggles trying to remember all the details.

• 5 months later...

HAHA! Found them!

I picked this up on ebay a few days ago and the listing picture wasn't all that great, really small, all I could tell was that it was USAF other than that I couldn't tell if it were an ROTC or what... but now that I have it I can see that they all have the same shoulder boards as the ones listed here! Red stripe and all!

They even have a French Officer in the second row, second guy wearing them.

It has all the names listed. This photo is from

"G" Squadron
3745 Pre-Flight Training Squadron
Group 4
Lackland AFB
December 1953

post-5589-0-61208300-1401285987.jpg

post-5589-0-11780300-1401285992.jpg

post-5589-0-93986800-1401285996.jpg

• 3 years later...

shoulder boards, the only place I can think of would be Officer Training/Candidate. Though, all of the pictures I have of them they are white boards with dark stripes.

These aren't like regular mess dress shoulder boards, these are much thicker and aren't curved, plus they're made like aviation cadets with the pins to attach instead of a buttoned strap.

Here's a picture I've found, they look similar:

Aviation Cadet Captain undergoing pilot training, from 1957. At least, according to Preston Perrenot's book on USAF Grade Insignia Since 1947 (2011 edition). Red band indicates undergoing pilot training; light blue for navigator trainee. White shoulder boards were worn by the graduating class. Ranks included LtCol, Major, Captain, Lieutenant, Master Sergeant and Sergeant. Six ranks with 1 to 6 stripes while Aviation Cadets (unranked) had just a plain shoulder board with the red or blue band.

attachicon.gifK1.jpg

and here are the boards. Cadet Major? Any idea what the red band would represent?

attachicon.gifK2.jpg

attachicon.gifK3.jpg

attachicon.gifK4.jpg

attachicon.gifK5.jpg

came with a dog tag, don't know if they're related.

attachicon.gifK6.jpg

• 8 months later...

Newbie here - - First post: 61Delta

Aviation Cadet Shoulder Boards would denote Cadet Captain (Four Stripes) and Red Band is for Pilot

Blue was Navigator.