WWI Summer Impressions

tsakers85

Does anyone have any color photos of their WWI Summer Uniforms? I'm specifically looking for mounted and air corps impressions.

Sorry, I'm looking for a flyer. I'm wanting to put together a flyer impression but I'm not looking to wear the tunic. Is the shirt and breeches combo as generally seen during the Punitive Expedition acceptable?

• 2 months later...
oskar_2ndchev
Does anyone have any color photos of their WWI Summer Uniforms? I'm specifically looking for mounted and air corps impressions.

Coming late to the party but here's one:

MatthewsParty_Adam.jpg

oskar_2ndchev

Coming late to the party but here's one mounted summer impression:

MatthewsParty_Adam.jpg

Sorry, I'm looking for a flyer. I'm wanting to put together a flyer impression but I'm not looking to wear the tunic. Is the shirt and breeches combo as generally seen during the Punitive Expedition acceptable?

Yeah, I meant to post a while back, as well. In the field, in warm weather, I'd imagine that pilots would be in shirtsleeves, like anyone else. Although I've seen photos of guys in garrison in shirts, most seem to be wearing their tunics. It would depend on what the uniform of the day is, based on the Commander's directive. Adam's wearing a good example of the 1912 cotton uniform in his pic. Flying is another story, though. I've never flown in an open cockpit plane, but I understand that it can get pretty cold. Photos from the Mexican border show Punitive Expedition pilots wearing coveralls and leather coats. There is a common pic of Benjamin Foulois wearing a turtleneck sweater (possible M1905 sweater?) That said, here are a couple of pics of me and a buddy "on the Border" - 13th US Cavalry:

cavcomp3a.jpg

100_1355.jpg

100_1727.jpg

oskar_2ndchev

Looking good there! :thumbsup:

I'm waiting on a cotton officer's uniform from Schipper, once I have that, I'll be complete. For aviators, I don't recall where I saw it but I do recall seeing pictures of aviators wearing fleece-ligned leather coats which were probably private purchase (I don't recall there being an "issue" aviator's coat during this period). From various civilian sources I've looked at, fleece-lined leather jackets were a fairly common civilian item for cold weather.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance there.