beo gam hat

Sjef

Hi there,

Besides collecting USAAF items I have a side interest in boonie/bush hats (not limited to US).

One specific item I have been looking out for for many years now is the hat Ian Sutherland wore in M*A*S*H. (see pic.)

I really adore the round paneled model with the button!

post-9199-1280955807.jpg

Can anyone please confirm if it is military issue (probably not) or commercially made.

And can you please post some pictures of the different models of military issue beo gam hats.

Many thanks!!

Hi there,

Besides collecting USAAF items I have a side interest in boonie/bush hats (not limited to US).

One specific item I have been looking out for for many years now is the hat Ian Sutherland wore in M*A*S*H. (see pic.)

I really adore the round paneled model with the button!

post-9199-1280955807.jpg

Can anyone please confirm if it is military issue (probably not) or commercially made.

And can you please post some pictures of the different models of military issue beo gam hats.

Many thanks!!

The hat is not military. I believe it is a version of what was called a "Jones" hat, sold by sporting goods stores etc. You can still find them in some parts of the country.

pwmiraldi67
And NOT beo gam....this term is getting over used as much as CISO!

AMEN, not to mention the term "Jones" hat!! No one in the US Military ever called it this, this is a British term, thats a full on hunting/fishing hat and a total piece of crap just like the movie and the TV show!!

paul

Thanks hosemonkey and vintageproductions for your useful information.

And NOT beo gam....this term is getting over used as much as CISO!

Thanks Spike, I guess I have a lot to learn. Could you perhaps explain me what exactly is beo gam and the difference with all the beo gam lookalikes?

AMEN, not to mention the term "Jones" hat!! No one in the US Military ever called it this, this is a British term, thats a full on hunting/fishing hat and a total piece of crap just like the movie and the TV show!!

paul

Many thanks Paul for sharing your opinion on movies and TV shows.

Many thanks Paul for sharing your opinion on movies and TV shows.

:)

One thing MASH never strived for was any sort of historical accuracy, not in headgear, haircuts, etc. That is Donald Sutherland - not Ian - wearing that 60's hat in a Korean War movie, and some might recall this is the same Donald Sutherland who played Sgt. Oddball in Kelly's Heroes, a supposedly WWII tank driver who talked like a late 1950's beatnik and looked like a late 1960's hippie.

sutherland.jpg

"Thanks Spike, I guess I have a lot to learn. Could you perhaps explain me what exactly is beo gam and the difference with all the beo gam lookalikes?"

There is a WHOLE topic on "beo gam" at the top of the uniform page, it behooves you to peruse through it. There are guys here that will hip you to the difference between US duck hunter camo and "beo gam".

pwmiraldi67

short and sweet!

beo Gam leopards, pattern is less busy than Duckhunter,

Duckhunter has clumps of spots that touch and over lap

Beo gam does not

Duck hunter will never turn purple and pink

Beo Gam will turn purple and pink

Beo gam has very unique patterns, like 2 dinosaures, (just head #2 & #3)one T-Rex

and one C- monster (see #4)

Beo Gam

8-5-201090608AM.jpg

Beo Gam

8-5-201090838AM.jpg

Beo Gam

8-5-201091052AM.jpg

Beo gam

8-5-201091331AM.jpg

Duck hunter

8-5-201091639AM.jpg

Duck hunter

8-5-201091545AM.jpg

short and sweet!

beo Gam leopards, pattern is less busy than Duckhunter,

Duckhunter has clumps of spots that touch and over lap

Beo gam does not

Duck hunter will never turn purple and pink

Beo Gam will turn purple and pink

Beo gam has very unique patterns, like 2 dinosaures, (just head #2 & #3)one T-Rex

and one C- monster (see #4)

Thanks Paul, that is some great information, and rather funny!! They really look like dinosaurs!! :w00t:

It might even be a nice topic in the MISC forum: funny/characteristic camo shapes....

TrenchfootJoe66

Ive had a few of these hats in the past. They have a stiffened front brim. Not the whole brim, just the front quarter. They turn up on ebay with all sorts of fancy descriptions. Thats not to say that none ever made it to SEA. Who kows... You can almost see the stiffened front brim in the MASH photo. Before I knew better I bought tons of that 60's hunting gear. Still have loads of it laying around.

Before I knew better I bought tons of that 60's hunting gear. Still have loads of it laying around.

That old 1960s hunting gear can be a great source of the same buttons used on tiger stripes and other Asian-made military clothing. I've got half a dozen shirts I don't have the heart to cut the buttons off of, so I guess I'll just keep them until I need the buttons!

Bill

Maybe this is an interesting video MEN WITH GREEN FACES - The US Navy Seals in Vietnam (part 1190A and part 1190B !!)

You can see Navy Seals wearing different types of hats with different types of camo.

Defying the risk of further cyber harassment I would say: some duck hunter (beret, and short brim panel boonie hat), some beo gam (wide brim booie/slough hats), some tiger stripes (beret), some others.