"Last ditch stand" movies

VeeVee

I have a thing for "last stand" movies -- the surrounded and overrun type of situation. Or "against-all-odds-on-the-run"

These are some of my favorites (below) but wondering if anyone can recommend similar ones. The movie A Bridge Too Far technically could fall under that theme but its scope is bigger and I feel like it didn't convey enough of the intense desperation of the situation. Same with Fort Apache.

Platoon (last battle)

Black Hawk Down

Zulu Dawn

Zulu

March or Die (French Foreign Legion)

Wild Geese

Thanks for any film recommendations.

craig_pickrall

Objective Burma meets your needs in every way if you like WW2 movies made during WW2. Airborne unit in Burma with all of the correct gear.

I have a thing for "last stand" movies -- the surrounded and overrun type of situation. Or "against-all-odds-on-the-run"

These are some of my favorites (below) but wondering if anyone can recommend similar ones. The movie A Bridge Too Far technically could fall under that theme but its scope is bigger and I feel like it didn't convey enough of the intense desperation of the situation. Same with Fort Apache.

Platoon (last battle)

Black Hawk Down

Zulu Dawn

Zulu

March or Die (French Foreign Legion)

Wild Geese

Thanks for any film recommendations.

GO TELL THE SPARTANS (stars Burt Lancaster as an advisor in the early part of the Vietnam War)

SON OF THE MORNING STAR (Custer's last stand)

THE WILD BUNCH (Western)

THE BRIDGE (Or DIE BRUCKE based on an incident at the end of WW2- German made film)

They Were Expendable - the two protagonists get to leave in the last plane, but for those left standing at the airfield, there's no hope.

How about these:

Bataan

Wake Island

The Lost Battalion

We Were Soldiers

Darby's Rangers

I forgot to list Bataan and Wake Island. I do have DVD's for both. They need a remake so badly. I'd pay good money to see a remake of those in the movies... then pay for the basic DVD when they come out... and pay again for the special edition DVD... :)

Saving Private Ryan - last battle scene

"Son of the Morning Star" - Custer's last stand

How could I have forgotten to list SPR...

Thanks for the Morning Star recommendation. I've never seen it.

Objective Burma meets your needs in every way if you like WW2 movies made during WW2. Airborne unit in Burma with all of the correct gear.

Don't mention "Objective Burma" aka "How Errol Flynn won the war in Burma" to a Brit. In fact, when it was initially released it met with such outrage in Britain it was taken off!

Sabrejet

Pork Chop Hill, (Peck)

KW movie but nicely done.

For M1 lid guys, you will see the burlap helmet covers in this one.

Pep

craig_pickrall
Don't mention "Objective Burma" aka "How Errol Flynn won the war in Burma" to a Brit. In fact, when it was initially released it met with such outrage in Britain it was taken off!

Sabrejet

I'm surprised it would have that reaction. All they did was knock out a lone radar station and then did not get picked up as planned. The rest of the movie was evading the Japanese Army. It has some good actual film footage in it. Like C47's making a pickup of gliders on the ground. They did a pretty good job on the uniforms and gear too.

Maybe they should have named it Objective Radar Station and it would have met with better reviews.

"Objective Burma" First time I think the M1A1 carbine was in a movie. Lots of Thompsons in a couple of scenes you can see those Tommy guns a cast of some material. Vickers guns made to look like M1919A4s. Got to love it. Good movie.

Garandomatic

You beat me to it. Pretty good one.

Pork Chop Hill, (Peck)

KW movie but nicely done.

For M1 lid guys, you will see the burlap helmet covers in this one.

Pep

Craig that is the first movie I've seen that had basically correct gear. However I was astonished to find out that the M42's were Hollywood made and for each actor.

That said it is without a doubt one of my favorite WWII movies and as an Errol Flynn fan...his last good movie. He went totally downhill from there. I own one of the made up M1A1's and some of the studio photos.

Ronnie

Guns of Navarone ... isn't that Gregory Peck also? and Anthony Quinn and Anthony Quayle and David Niven and I forget who all in the same movie

the thing I liked about the latest version of the "Alamo" a few years ago was that they finally let the Mexican soldiers be played by Hispanic actors

craig_pickrall
Craig that is the first movie I've seen that had basically correct gear. However I was astonished to find out that the M42's were Hollywood made and for each actor.

That said it is without a doubt one of my favorite WWII movies and as an Errol Flynn fan...his last good movie. He went totally downhill from there. I own one of the made up M1A1's and some of the studio photos.

Ronnie

I am surprised the M42's are a wardrobe made uniform. I thought they were issue. They look great.

As far as correct gear goes have you seen A WALK IN THE SUN?. Those guys look like they stepped off a page of FM 21-15. They are perfect. The medic only makes a brief appearance but he has the correct bags too. This was made in 43 or 44 I think.

That's the best thing about those movies from the WW2 period. "Guadalcanal Diary" and "Air Force" are two others where the uniforms, equipment and vehicles etc., are pretty good.

Sabrejet