Civil War era NY Officers Slouch Hat

tigerfan

Here are a few photos of a civil war era New York officers slouch hat. This just came out of the woodwork untouched and uncleaned with the dust/age of many years of storage. It has a black ostrich feather with a New York button attached at the end. I am amazed that the feather is still in tact. Anyway just thought I would share some photos.

post-2609-1280926018.jpg

post-2609-1280926039.jpg

post-2609-1280926027.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled onto these great pics.

Can you tell me what type of felt the hat is made from: wool felt, or some type of fur felt (ie rabbit, beaver). Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Mr. Standfast

Hi,

Love the hat! By the way, it is almost impossible to find pictures of the inside of War Between the States era hats. Could I be so bold as to ask, can you please take some close ups of the sewing where the leather sweatband attaches to the felt (with a ruler for stitches per inch) and where the two ends of the sweatband meet? Also close ups of the ribbon on the brim? If you could I sure would appreciate it, I've been trying to find out how the insides of these hats were put together ever since my earliest days of CW reenacting about six years ago!