1902 Krag cut down bayonet

Greg Sebring

This is the combat/leg knife my dad used in the ETO. He bought it in Baltimore for $20.00 before being shipped overseas. It is stamped 1902 on the reverse side. I have a picture of dad wearing it in combat dress soewhere in Europe.

Greg

post-118-1167604742.jpg

Very nice, Greg! Would love to see the photo. Wow, $20! That was a lot of money in WWII, when the monthly pay of a Private, or a PFC was less that $55/mo.

Thanks for sharing it with us,

GB

Greg Sebring
Very nice, Greg! Would love to see the photo. Wow, $20! That was a lot of money in WWII, when the monthly pay of a Private, or a PFC was less that $55/mo.

Thanks for sharing it with us,

GB

GB...this is it...dad is in the middle and you can see the knife tied to his leg.

Greg

post-118-1167646302.jpg

Greg Robinson

Greg

That's a nice piece and it's still in beautiful condition. Thanks for sharing. During WW2 there was a shortage of knives for the troops and lots of pieces such as this were made, some very handsome like what your dad got, and some kind of crude. But they all are nice artifacts of WW2 and I love 'em all.

Greg Sebring
Greg

That's a nice piece and it's still in beautiful condition. Thanks for sharing. During WW2 there was a shortage of knives for the troops and lots of pieces such as this were made, some very handsome like what your dad got, and some kind of crude. But they all are nice artifacts of WW2 and I love 'em all.

Thanks for the kind remarks,....dad is a big guy and he told me he didn't like what the Army had to offer at the time. He said this fit his hand much better. I believe you could almost shave with it today it has such a keen edge,

Greg

Greg,

"Awesome" is an over-used word today, but in this case, it's a perfect fit. Please, tell your Dad how much the folks here loved the knife and the photo. And also, please, tell him thank you for us...for being there.

GB