USN MCPON Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

roadrunner

Hello

Here a few versions of the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy.

first row: handembroidered; embroidered; on white

a. The stars in the second row are silver, why?

b. second row, right: why anchor and not a star?

Thanks for any information.

Michael

post-8324-1280779340.jpg

Hello

Here a few versions of the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy.

first row: handembroidered; embroidered; on white

Thanks for any information.

Michael

Okay, current-tour MCPONs wear the rate patches with three gold stars above the crow and one gold star in the center where the rating symbol normally goes. That's what you have in the first three examples in the top row.

Post-tour MCPONs wear the rate patches with three gold stars above the crow and one gold rating symbol in the center. Post-tour MCPONs who serve a C/MC (Command Master Chief) billet following the MCPON tour have the rate patches with three gold stars above the crow and one silver star in the center where the rating symbol normally goes.

When the first MCPON was assigned back in 1966 (Delbert Black), he added a third silver star above the crow. In 1971, MCPONs started wearing three gold stars above the crow.

Your examples in the second row look like hybrids. The crows are present day design, which means the stars should be gold. They are not correct for MCPON, current-tour or post-tour.

Hope this helps.

Originally (1967), the MCPON wore the specialty mark of his rating in silver, with three silver stars above. In 1972 the stars above were changed to gold, and the specialty mark became a gold star. The badges in the second row were probably intended to recreate early MCPON badges. The one with the BM mark is possible, but the only two MCPONs before the gold star was adopted were a GM and an AD (Here you can see a photo of the first two incumbents with original rating badges). A MCPON badge with a silver star SM was never authorized as far as I know. Also, the pot-bellied crow is a giveaway that those are not '60s-'70s RBs!

This is covered in as much detail as you'd ever need in the oft-cited John Stacey book on rating badges.

Best regards,

Justin B.

A MCPON badge with a silver star SM was never authorized as far as I know.

Post-Tour MCPONs who take on a C/MC billet retain the three gold stars above the crow with a silver star specialty mark. This is in accordance with OPNAVINST 1306.2 (series).

I agree with you that the two examples below are re-creations of the early badges or fantasy pieces.

Post-Tour MCPONs who take on a C/MC billet retain the three gold stars above the crow with a silver star specialty mark. This is in accordance with OPNAVINST 1306.2 (series).

Good catch, I meant silver stars on top with silver SM.

best regards,

Justin B.

Good catch, I meant silver stars on top with silver SM.

best regards,

Justin B.

Would love to see a SM MCPON crow even if it is a fantasy thing :thumbsup:

Steve Hesson (retired SMCS)

Would love to see a SM MCPON crow even if it is a fantasy thing :thumbsup:

Steve Hesson (retired SMCS)

Skivvy wavers and admin types are excluded from being MCPON. We're working on snipes, next. :D

Just like sigsaye would like to see an SM be the MCPON, I'd like to see a MCPON "lower" himself to be a CMC after that tour.... :unsure:

Dave

Just like sigsaye would like to see an SM be the MCPON, I'd like to see a MCPON "lower" himself to be a CMC after that tour.... :unsure:

Dave

Oh yeah Dave, That'd be something to see. I don't think we could live with one in the Chiefs Mess (or maybe "Throne Room").

Steve Hesson

Dave

Very much agree!

-dan

Coincidentally, I got to meet the current MCPON this morning! :thumbsup:

Dave

Does the Pentagon have a "goat locker"?

-dan

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent I actually have 4 out of five of those. All except the first one that I saw sold at uniforms 4 u.com. Vanguard makes em best and very good prices.