SS 403, USS Atule, Blueprints

ed101

I picked these up over the weekend. I was wondering if it is a desireable item for collectors. They appear original and in very good condition. Dates are from when the Sub was reoutfiied in the early 50's. Interesting history on this submarine. it has WWII Pacific battle patrols, ended up being sunk by a Japanese boat in 1988. The booklet is 9.5" tall, 40 " across and has 7 pages including the title page. It is dated 1953-1955, Portsmouth and Phila. shipyards. I would appreciate your opinions.

6415.jpg

6414.jpg

6417.jpg

That's an interesting find. Just what a scratch-build modeller could use for sure. A word of caution: don't leave any of those blue prints exposed to light over any length of time as they will eventually fade.

The Meatcan

those blueprints are in astonishingly fine condition given their age and being folded. I've never seen blueprints from that era survive so well! Do they still have any of that ammonia odor?

Terry

those blueprints are in astonishingly fine condition given their age and being folded. I've never seen blueprints from that era survive so well! Do they still have any of that ammonia odor?

Terry

I don't smell much of anything on them, maybe a bit musty. But yes, they are in very good condition. For the heck of it, I ran them under a UV light and they do not react. I don't know if that actually tells us anything.

-Ed

That's a real interesting piece of naval ephemera you have there Ed. Great find and thanks for posting!

Ian :thumbsup: